AF: 2014 Jeep Patriot Observations | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 Jeep Patriot Observations

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by dreinecke, May 5, 2013.

1. assadour

Supporter

Anyone besides me look at the EPA figures for the 2014 FWD? With the 6-speed automatic, the figures with the 2.0 are identical to those for the 2.4. Any significance to this? Is the 2.4 matched better with the 6-speed than with the 2.0. Seems like there is no point in considering the 2.0 unless he was getting the manual tranny. If someone wants a FWD with the automatic, it would seem that they might as well pay the extra $485 and get the 2.4 with the extra power and torque. Any comments?

2. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

We have the 2.4, it's a nice package, near 32 mpg real world mileage with the CVT, can't imagine any advantage to the 2.0, if those numbers you saw aren't a typo.

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I think it's a matter of weight, I've seen this a lot over the years. If the engine isn't sized to the weight of the vehicle, it won't get any better mileage. I would get the 2.4.

4. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Agreed - the 2.0 appears only to exist to meet a price point.

5. assadour

Supporter

Thanks for your replies. I've been looking online for a 2014 Compass or Patriot with the 2.4, auto, AND FWD, not 4WD, here in north Jersey. Only FWD models I've found have the 2.0 engine. Don't understand why this is. Seems to me that a Latitude with FWD would be an appealing package to many, as it would give somewhat better mileage than a 4WD model. Do you have to order that package? Any comments?

6. Sarkus

Sarkus New Member

That's probaby true, though the Patriot and Compass are both coming off of their best sales years and between them sell over 10,000 units a month. Which is right where the new Cherokee is and not far behind the Grand Cherokee and Wranglers. And the sales so far in 2014 haven't dropped off by much from pre-Cherokee figures, meaning that vehicle is attracting a mostly different buyer.

For a long time I wondered if the MK's might disappear after the Cherokee arrived, mainly because the whole reason the MK's came along was the decision to make the 2nd generation Liberty a 6cyl only vehicle. They needed a 4cl compact SUV, a role traditionally filled by 4cyl Cherokees and later Liberty offerings.

However, Allpar has been saying for awhile that the Compass and Patriot with be replaced by a single Dart-platform based vehicle that will be a bit smaller then the Cherokee. The Cherokee is considered a "D" class vehicle while the new Renegade is a "B" class, so a "C" class MK replacement fits right in. JeepCares, an official Jeep representative who posts on a different Jeep forum I visit, specifically clarified that the MKs are not considered the same class as the Cherokee.

And while the size differences are not great between those classes, I suspect the real reason Jeep wants something between the Cherokee and Renegade is the price difference between the Cherokee and MKs. If they can build something cheaply enough to be profitable then there is definately a market for it. Since the Cherokee starts at $23k, the cheaper Patriot ($16k) and Compass ($18.5k) have a nice niche. Even if the Renegade fits somewhere in there pricewise, its still smaller. And even Jeep doesn't think the Renegade will do the sales that the MKs do right now - in interviews around the official reveal of that vehicle earlier this month they said that of 130,000/year they intend to produce, less then half are destined for the US market. So that doesn't cover the sales.

It all depends on where Jeep is with the MK replacement, which Allpar thinks will likely carryover the Compass name. If they are on track for it to arrive next year (2015) then we should see an announcement relatively soon and 2014 would be the end for both the current Patriot and Compass. There are some indications that Jeep will be making some big announcements in the next few months based on comments they made around the Renegade reveal. On the other hand, if the MK replacement/Compass II is delayed, then its possible that one or both vehicles could see another model year. That Jeep bothered to put the six speed auto in them last year does suggest the possibility that one or both might very well be destined for another year to transition to whatever replaces them.

7. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Good observations. I would think, since all FWD architecture is destined to receive the 9 speed, THAT will be the controlling factor.
    Not just availability, but solving the software problems that KL had and 200 may be having in testing. The shift maps are still giving them a few issues.
    I'd prefer the Patriot name, but that carries little weight in Europe, I would be fine with Patriot here and Compass there. We are looking for a replacement for our KJ and if the ComPatriot doesn't go crazy in design like the KL did, and looks more along the lines of the current Patriot or Renegade, then I'll probably be interested...unless I hear wind of a 180 degree change of direction and a RWD bias platform coming for Jeeps.

8. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

I would think a Renegade look-alike on the CUSW platform with the KL drivetrain selections plus 6.12:1 and 8.55:1 final drive options, wheel wells that could accommodate 33" tires and a trail-rated base model would have a lot of traction [pun intended] in the market. It would probably have more interior space than the KL, but the Patriot has had more interior space than the Compass all along. Maybe the wheel wells could have removable trim around them so 26" and 28" tires wouldn't look disproportionately small.

Lately I've been asked about the Patriot by XJ owners; some of whom bought their XJs new. This has only happened in about the past year. They've come up to me in the parking lots at the post office and grocery stores. I told them that if they don't plan to do rock crawling, tow much of anything, or drive in snow deeper than 9" or 10" they could probably be happy with a Patriot (or Compass). I also tell them if they want to do those things to try out a Wrangler. One asked about lift kits and I told him not to even try it. His XJ appeared to be lifted about two inches.

9. dreinecke

dreinecke Well-Known Member

Since I started this thread, I might as well update it!

Almost two years ago when our son purchased his Patriot I was happy that it seemed to have matured well and ended up being decent, practical transportation with some pretty good bad weather and mild trail capabilities.

My daughter needed new wheels as she is going away to college and her Libby is getting long in the tooth to the point where she needed something a bit more dependable and better on gas since she will be driving more. After playing with a few ideas for a small SUV (Colorado...winter driving needs), she was going back and forth between a Compass and Patriot. The local dealer had a few 2014's they were willing to deal on so she picked a Patriot as she liked the boxy shape a bit more.

She purchased a 2014 Latitude in Black with the Dark Slate colored interior, the 6-speed, 2.4 motor, the 130 stereo with USB and Bluetooth, and heated seats. She is thrilled with it and likes how it drives.

So, now we are a two JKU and two Patriot family. The neighbors all swear I work for Jeep...

MoparNorm and RonGD like this.
  10. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter