AF: 2015 200's are here! | Page 20 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 200's are here!

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, May 16, 2014.

1. Int

Int Active Member

It's possible that the 200 is just what it was intended to be. Going head-to-head with the established brands may have been seen as a bridge too far so they went for what a majority of customers value. Just speculation, of course.

2. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

I think you are absolutely correct. For us old fogeys, we'll just have to mourn for the Chryslers and Jeeps we probably won't ever get again.

3. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Look at the 200C's profile and roofline - and then note where the wheels are.

Now, translate that styling onto the new 200 using it's wheel location.

It doesn't look good.

Not sure what's worse - hard to get in but OK once there, or easy to get in but uncomfortable to sit in.

4. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

I don't disagree, yet the new 200 has the same look of the Dart, it's wheelbase versus overall body length gives it a just off look.
    Some may not mind it, but in relationship to the 200C Concept and best selling Camry, Accord and Fusion, it just doesn't fit. That's me.
    Others here don't seem to it mind, or not notice. I'd suspect that most defenders here aren't actually going to buy it, or have to promote it.
    I was thinking about it, but not now.
    Yes the back seat is comfortable, but head room is nil, egress is poor, that ellipse is nice, but doesn't fit the bits and parts of the car that had to be inside of it. The roof line of the Concept accommodated it just fine.
    No amount of posting by those who like it is going to change my mind. I don't like the styling direction of Dart, 200, or KL.
    If I wanted that styling direct, I would have been already driving an Altima, or Venza.
    M wants to redesign the face of Chrysler in his image, that's fine and his prerogative.
    It's not for me.

5. Mario9

Mario9 Well-Known Member

Is the acess and backseat space worst than in the Fusion?

6. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

We can speculate all we want, but unless we actually sit in one, set the driver's seat where it's best for us, then climb in back, we won't know.

And as Bob S. said, you have what you have. If the 200 doesn't cut it for you for rear seat room, there's the 300. The 4-cyl is $26K and gets great mileage; the V-6 is more and will be faster and more refined. You have choices. Some will like them, some won't. Nobody gets 100% market share.

Chrysler New Yorker likes this.
  7. redhed

Level III Supporter

i don't disagree with that statement, but do have to wonder if making the new 200 the size of the current accord might have actually cannibalized sales of the LX cars? to me the accord doesn't "feel" much smaller inside vs the 300. perhaps that also factored into the reason the 200 is the size it is?

8. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

As some have stated.....the majorty of buyers including myself will not be putting large adults in the back seat. Right now the only possible occupants for my rear seats are a 6 and 11 yr old children, both of them would fit tine for at least the next 5 years. That being true it still dosent negate our desire to have the vehicle be best in class. I would gladly give up best in class HP in a v6 for best inclass 40+mpg froom a non hybrid sedan. What good is bragging rights to best Hp if cars with less Hp are actually faster?

But as Bob has stated the headroom now is what it is. No easy or quick fix. So that is just one of the slight negatives to the 200. There are many positive thing to like about this sedan.

9. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Well-Known Member

Haven't yet made it to a dealer to see one, but I actually saw a new, 2015 Chrysler 200 being driven on the east side of Columbus last night. Was close enough to see that it didn't just look like the new car, it really was. It was a gray color. As it was moving, I couldn't see the wheels or anything to determine which trim package. Didn't have dealer tags, it had regular plates meaning it was already purchased.

10. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Going from what Bob said, regarding the size and shape of 200 being locked in, long ago, I wonder if that size and shape was because it was also going to be a Lancia?
    Once they dropped the Lancia version, they were stuck with something non-200C Concept and just made the best of it.

redhed likes this.
  11. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The 2009 200C Concept and the 2015 200 are two completely different vehicles - and no amount of posting is going to change that fact. The 200C Concept was just that - a concept. Whether it was ever approved for production means nothing because it was never actually produced.

Marchionne looks nothing like a 200 or a Dart.

;)

Noted - it's not for you. While I'm not offended by the styling, it's not for me either.

I'll say that it's the size that it is because it fits inside the "box" assigned to it.

Some might say that once the 'base' 300 was dropped, the old 200 did get some of those potential 300 sales - and that will likely continue. But that's more about affordability than size.

12. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

But they are available in colors that match his sweaters!

Hmmmmm, I smell a conspiracy brewing.......

UN4GTBL likes this.
  13. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

It all makes sense now!

Mike

14. SheltonBreeden

Ding ding.
    And to add, the majority of folks that are appliance buyers cross shopping this car against basic transportation would cross it off the list early. It's not a product for those that already have their minds made up that Japan INC offers the best choice.
    Chrysler is hoping to steal some Ford, Hyundai, and Kia sales here.

15. MoparRam

MoparRam Well-Known Member

There was a 200S used for a car chase scene in the new 24 episode today for those that care lol.

Looks like they're really trying to get it out there.

16. Int

Int Active Member

Maybe, but who will this vehicle appeal to? It's been mentioned in this forum that other vehicles intended for the youth market have sold to the older set. We'll see.

17. peterjon1

peterjon1 Well-Known Member

Serious question here -- Why does the bottom of the B pillar have to curve back so far into the rear door opening? Not just the 200, but almost every car. I am 6', kinda overweight, but I usually have no issues with rear seat access, other than trying to get a size 13 foot through there. That is the place where an inch would make a big difference for me.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  18. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I couldn't post pictures I located on websites showing the whole range of mid-sizers ...

But out of the many I discovered you could easily see which ones ' Got the Memo ' about ingress/egress and rear head room.

You'll have to go track down those photos on your own, but with profile pictures of the same size, resolution and with the cars all pointing the same direction the subtleties show more clearly - and you'll see which ones don't appear to have the rear door opening sized for easy access and those that do; and you'll see where on the roof arc over the back seat where it begins to blend into the rear deck and where a rear passenger's head will likely be - you'll either see apparent room or what appears to be some encroachment. Some of the cars show excellent attention to cabin space needs, and some don't. Nearly every Asian suspect seems to have it. Chevy Malibu seems to also.

Honestly, the 2013 Suzuki Kizashi, 2014 Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Subaru Legacy, Nissan Altima all seem to have it. The 2014 Chevrolet Malibu has it. The 2014 Vokswagen Passat has it. The 2014 Mazda 6, not so much (but perhaps marginally more than the 200 - we'd need to measure), Volvo S60 - the same situation there, too, along with Ford Fusion.

All of this is from photo evidence easily found online - stock photos.

We need one of us to go out with camera and/or video camcorder, a tape measure and a magnifying glass: open the doors, sit inside take photos and notes, use the tape measure, rank order the subjects of the investigation then report back to make your case; then sit under the hot lights in direct view of the section of rubber hose hanging on the wall over yonder and respond to the cross-examination, counter-claims, the chemical tests and what not .

I'd volunteer to do it, but my dog ate my homework ...

PCRMike and dfarc like this.
  19. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

Ok so the 200LX is now open to order...... Chrysler is limiting it to 2% of orders overall, there will be no incentives and is basically only for dealers to order as a price leader(think newspaper ads, radio etc.) So essentially each dealer will only have 1 on the lot at a time unless they happen to have allocation for 200+ 200's.

UN4GTBL likes this.