AF: 2015 200's are here! | Page 24 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 200's are here!

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, May 16, 2014.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

beats has only been available on the Charger and 300. The 200 had Boston Acoustics.”

Good for the 200...!

Moparian likes this.
  2. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Uh, none of the above, maybe you confused me with someone else?
    The platform has everything to do with space, as the very definition of Platform means a set of dimensions. (Perhaps you meant Architecture?)
    CUSW is proving to be too limiting for my tastes.
    The 200C Concept had plenty of rear seat room, IMO a nicer profile and an overall better look. I was hoping for something similar and more cab forward in the new design.
    Isn't that the buyer we want, for conquest sales?

3. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

uh....yes........

MoparDanno likes this.
  4. For us in Europe CUSW is a platform. CUSW is a modular platform.

For platform with transverse engine orientation and wheelbase of 2.74 m Chrysler 200 should have a plenty rear leg-room. That's a huge for European standards. Even Alfa Giulietta with much smaller wheelbase can accommodate two average adults on backseat without problems. So if 200 is well executed than it must have a plenty of room for back-seat passengers. Maybe the best example of good design or space-conscious design is a car from VAG concern and for European market, Škoda Octavia built on MQB platform and with 2.67 m wheelbase.
    But I'm hoping for second generation of CUSW with more interior space and less weight than current one.

And question for all of you from USA. Does Buick Regal have a more back-seat space than new 200? I think Regal is a only D-segment car in Europe that sells with same dimension in USA although under different badge. US Accord is bigger than EU, same with Passat...

5. redhed

Level III Supporter

the "american" regal is the same dimensions as the opel insignia in europe. i can't say for sure, but suspect the 200 has a bit more back seat room vs the regal. i don't get in the back of my regal, and didn't get in the back of the 200c i drove so i can't say for sure.

6. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

I think I see the problem. Chrysler uses "Platform" as only a set of dimensions, it has nothing to do with Architecture or parts. It's simply the size of an imaginary box that the vehicle fits within, to allow the vehicle to fit the line and tooling.
    Fiat defines "Platform" the same way GM uses it and that includes architecture and parts, but not the body.

What works in Europe doesn't always work here and European sizes are generally too small for the US customer.

Another issue is the architecture layout. CUSW has a long wheelbase, but a small cabin space, completely the opposite of the beloved "Cloud"'cars which had shorter wheelbases but larger cabins than CUSW.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Norm, if Fiat uses “platform” the same way as GM, Dart and Viaggio would be different platforms, no? Assuming architecture goes beyond FWD vs RWD and into suspension design.

CUSW does presume a FWD setup in thye dimensions.

I think as Bob S has said in the past, higher crash standards may have something to do with the expansion of the outside of the car relative to the cabin. Also, the cloud cars were built for a max 3.0 liter MMC engine, not sure if Pentastar 3.6 is a lot larger? I would also wonder about trunk space.

8. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Dave,
    I can't really say, as I don't know if CUSW, is considered using the Fiat system in non-Chrysler plants.
    I also don't know if Marchionne will change the definition for Fiat, change it for Chrysler, or leave it the same.
    He does however use the term interchangeably depending upon which audience he is addressing.

9. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...

So was I. Especially when the reviewer spoke of not having the same issues he experienced with the 9-speed transmission in the 200 when he drove the Cherokee and the Dart. :huh:

10. @MoparNorm

I think that today we have 3 major types of car layout. First is off-course most used FWD with transverse engine and other two both use longitudinal engine with either FWD or RWD.

Transverse FWD gives simple technical solutions but can't fit some large engines such as inline-6, 90o V6 or 90o V8 including HEMI. What's good is that engine is moved further forward so you can have a car with shorter wheelbase but more interior space because all is pushed forward. Major problem is AWD and it's mostly achieved with Haldex but that's not what we call true AWD.
    And finally if they efficiently design the car with CUSW and 2.74 m wheelbase it can have a lot interior space.

Longitudinal FWD is something for what is Audi known. They choose it because they can fit large engines and AWD with Torsen, much better solution for AWD than transverse FWD. So Audi used major benefit about big engines so they used modular V engine family with 90o for V6, V8 and V10. Most things like interior space are same as for RWD including transmission and transmission positioning.
    Other cars with this solution were Chryslers. Chrysler used solution with engine moved further forward to allow more space in cabin. Drawback is small engine bay and bad weight distribution which is front end biased. So it's not so good.

An last and most sporty with superior handling is RWD. Good thing is that 50:50 weight distribution can be achieved. It needs long wheelbase same as Audi's FWD solution to achieve spacious interior.

11. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

UN4GTBL likes this.
  12. redhed

Level III Supporter

yeah, has anyone else driven this mysterious 9HP equipped dart?? lol!

UN4GTBL likes this.
  13. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Yes, I caught that as well, but it is IRRELEVANT.

USA Today is widely read and the FACT remains that the 9-speed is still causing headaches for FCA.

Also, fit and finish issues on a vehicle given to reporters?! Again?!

Chrysler knows it has to do things better than evreyone else, just to be considered a contender in this segment.......there is ZERO excuse for a press vehicle going out in this condition!!!!

This is becoming the gang that could not shoot straight!

With regard to back seat access in the 200, I think Bob identified the issue as the roofline STYLING that gets locked-in early in the design process. It is that STYLING that makes back seat access difficult for some body types.

UN4GTBL and MoparNorm like this.
  14. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

15. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

They don't notice cause no one in the US buys them.

16. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

dont really see a problem with the 200's drivetrain. hell if it was really a negative M/T wouldnt had put the 200 in Third place above the Accord SE on its Midsize sedan comparison.

17. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Yeah. This is first review I've seen complain about to a large degree honestly.

That's not true at all.

18. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Well their sales volumes are extremely low.

19. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

A ) -

I fear the 'Fix It Again, Tony' bug has bitten once more - and perhaps with these last few evidences it just won't ever go away (where, at first, there was the possibility). What's worse : It might be the case that Chrysler now has inherited it because of the unavoidable intimate contact.

B ) -

Although true, it was Never the case that the less than stellar ingress/egress and the affected rear passenger door aperture was in any way a surprise to the stylists. On the consumer side we see the compromise, and some are affected by it.

When compared, the previous generation 200 made a reasonable showing for rear passenger entry and head room.

20. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Expected sales are about 13K monthly, dealers will soon start recieving the 4 cyl, so by The end of August, dealer will have a decent inventory, and maybe then we will see those sales numbers, in the meantime, dealers are still having a lot of old 200 and Avengers for sale.

Stratuscaster likes this.