Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 200S Low voltage

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by Chrysfan, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Chrysfan

Chrysfan Active Member

So a few weeks ago I had three hard starts and my car died. My battery was only 18 months old. Jumped the car, took it to the dealership and they said the battery tested fine. That lasted three days. The car died again after three hard starts. Jumped it and dropped it off at the dealer. They tested the battery again and said it was a bad cell, replaced the battery. Started it the first time at the dealership and it was a very rough start. It lost power when driving back to work. This time had it towed to the dealership since I didn't feel safe to drive it. They did an update that included loss of power and it seems to be starting fine. It's been two weeks and the battery says its running 13.2-13.6 volts and seems to be decreasing. I'm at a loss of what to do. Any ideas are appreciated.

2. Planefixer

Planefixer Member

Is your alternator charging?

3. Chrysfan

Chrysfan Active Member

Good question. The dealership said there was not a problem with the alternator two weeks ago. It is currently holding at 13.2 v. The dealership said to bring it in if it dips below 13.

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

There is a recall for alternators, but as near as I can tell the 200 is not on the list of vehicles being recalled.

5. David Eidell

David Eidell Well-Known Member

ECU voltage regulation on a MoPar can be compared to the temperament of a Hungarian movie actress. Voltage rhythmically surges and subsides a few tenths of a volt. Thermistor temperature compensation of voltage is sloppy.
    On and on I can criticize. Yet the battery not only stays charged, they last a long time. I may moan but the only valid criticism I can provide is that it makes monitoring the battery difficult.
    There is considerable voltage droop when accessories are switched on. The majority of the droop is in the ignition circuit, and not in the charging/battery circuit. I have relegated the readings of my dash gauge to the same level of integrity as The National Inquirer vs The National Geographic Society. If the engine barfs the alternator drive belt, the gauge will sag to the same reading as I get when I switch the ignition on but not start the engine. What I can say about the ECU voltage regulator circuit is that it is rugged. The integrity of the harness from the alternator field, less so.

tomit likes this.