AF: 2015 300? | Page 24 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 300?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by scott cornett, May 19, 2014.

1. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Sorry, I wasn't picking on you, James. I was picking on the prevailing OEM mindset.

There cannot be differentiation before the basic foundation has been laid.

One thing Mulally is doing differently, is bring a newfound discipline and long-term focus to systematically develop Ford's entries in five core segments: Fusion, Focus, Escape, Explorer...and Fiesta. Focus, Fiesta and Escape are at or near the top of their segments already; they are working very hard on getting Fusion there; Explorer still needs a lot more tweaking.

Chrysler needs to commit to establishing 200 into a top segment choice, no ifs or buts. Then all-new T&C is coming: in addition to launching it successfully, it needs to make sure they lay down a solid plan to transition Caravan owners into T&C; just assuming people will find their way is not enough. Meanwhile, Chrysler needs to continue growing the 300 franchise, changing it altogether will result in a loss of forward momentum.

Then Chrysler can add another entry: either the 100 or a CUV, and committing the long time and sizable funds needed to establishing that nameplate as a top entry in its segment. At that point, time's up for the 5-year plan.

2. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

I figure the last couple of generations have grown up with fwd or an suv.
    How did we manage Michigan winters with those bias ply tires on a Duster or Charger? Just fine.
    Couldn't put snow tires on the company cars back then. Never stopped us from hitting Boyne Mtn. on weekends.

3. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

My mom had a Plymouth Horizon TC3 when he lived in Petoskey in the 80s and got around fine.

4. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

I didn't think you were! I just wanted to clarify/simplify the point of my post!

:)

aldo90731 likes this.
  5. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Yup. We're thinking along the same lines. The 300 can still be "premium" and do battle against the upper trim level Taurus, Impala, Azera (if it survives), Cadenza, and Avalon. The Kia Cadenza is actually a very nice looking car with great touches- I think the 300 could one-up that easily in FWD form. In this class the 300 will be able to deliver better efficiency in terms of fuel consumption and interior room.

I don't think the public really needs to in this case. The Charger will deliver on sporting pretenses and the 300 will remain more of a cruiser. The 300's drive wheels are less of an importance here, just as long as the thing drives nicely, delivers great mpg, actually has interior room commiserate to its size, and looks great.

6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Please don't give them any ideas. It seems Chrysler (no matter who has been in charge since at least the mid-70s) loves to squash any forward momentum they make. The 70s are when long term models (like Dart and Valiant) had to be replaced with different name plates. The the K cars went on too long (from revolutionary to outdated). Same with the LH cars under Diamler. I just expect (though I have no proof) that the "volume" theory of Chrysler (the flavor of the month now) means a FWD 300 at the next major overhaul (assuming they decide to keep the 300 name which I would not bet on given past history of model names at Chrysler).

aldo90731 likes this.
  7. aldo90731

I know, huh.

Like the FWD Avalon, Impala, Taurus, and Maxima are such GREAT sellers.

Chrysler must be aiming for its share oh the crumbs.

HotCarNut and MoparNorm like this.
  8. BGWheelhorse

BGWheelhorse Well-Known Member

FWD

9. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Wrong,we are still working with a RWD

UN4GTBL and HotCarNut like this.
  10. aldo90731

Phew! That's comforting too hear!

MoparNorm and UN4GTBL like this.
  11. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Despite of trying to be mainstream, we might have an answer for the all new Cadillac CTS, MB and BMW, as I once said it here, Chrysler is moving forward, we are having already one of the best interiors in the Industry, so are our powertrains, of course, we are moving upscale.

Just watch the new products coming arround the corner, NAIAS might be very interesting, it may also become again,Chrysler's show.

12. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

If you were reading the comments from before, we were saying in most situations if RWD can't get through the snow or ice, neither can a FWD car. Most people in Michigan think you have to have four wheel drive to get through winter.

13. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

I think that may be more due to the state of the roads in Michigan lol

14. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

That can very true too lol.

15. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

This is good to hear. I've been an avid Chrysler fan since the age of 10, and I convinced my family to buy our first Chrysler sedan at the ripe old age of 13 - a 1994 Chrysler LHS. It's been a love affair ever since and now I have the opportunity to own and drive them myself. I want the 300 to continue to move forward and evolve, and I'm hoping that the 2015s are as big an improvement as the 2011s were over the first-gen cars. I really want Chrysler to press to be what it was originally conceived as: an American luxury car at an affordable price. Affordable is relative, but to me it implies greater value than what Cadillac, BMW, MB, Audi, or other traditional luxury players offer. Hyundai is following a similar strategy with the Genesis lineup and it's been depressing to see a Korean company execute Chrysler's strategy while we're debating whether it is worth doing.

The new 300 is still showing at LA right? I only ask because you mention NAIAS....

MoparNorm and aldo90731 like this.
  16. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Define answer. Call me a skeptic, but with the new E-class and 5-series right around the corner and the CTS being a front-of-the-pack contender in dynamics I find that hard to believe. We'll see I suppose. :)

17. DrDoug

DrDoug New Member

We were living in my in-laws house in Lansing, and they ahd a water softner to get the iron out of the water. I put 2 or 3 bags of softner salt in the trunk of my 1974 Duster.

When the brakes locked I got an 81 Buick Skylark with FWD - never got stuck again.

18. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

We threw in salt bags in all of our old pickups. But again the key to winter driving with FWD or RWD is good winter tires. RWD can plow through the snow great with a good set of snow tires.

19. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

Couldn't that presentation have mistakenly imposed 300 in place of the confirmed (by FCA) 100 model?

20. W Bohannon

W Bohannon Well-Known Member

Chrysler as a brand, IMO, should be rwd or awd, period! While Chrysler as a brand may never catch BMW or M-B, they should have them in their gunsights. I think that the 200 should have been rwd. As far as driving rwd in all kinds of weather, my daily driver has been a pickup for the majority of my adult years, over 50 years, I'm sure that 99% of you did not learn to drive in a muddy barnlot, as I did.about 60 years ago.I have driven and owned both fwd and rwd drive but never awd. As someone said, good tires and careful driving will get the thinking driver just about anywhere he wants or needs to go.

MoparNorm likes this.