AF: 2015 300? | Page 25 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 300?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by scott cornett, May 19, 2014.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

You are looking at Chrysler's past philosophy where RWD fit in nicely. Chrysler's current philosophy is to chase volume, not luxury or near luxury. I think the 300 as a RWD car won't stay a good fit for too much longer and Dodge will be the RWD division while Chrysler concentrates on FWD.
    Tune in next month and it may all change again. No wonder customers are confused.

aldo90731 and UN4GTBL like this.
  2. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Well-Known Member

Sorry, but an AWD with equivalent tires will handle better in snow than a RWD. Yes tire tech has made major improvements in traction and handling, but that tech also aids AWD and FWD. I live in the snowiest city in Canada. We have extremely steep narrow streets (https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3073/4556492598_a9881c138d.jpg http://i.huffpost.com/gen/937838/thumbs/r-NEWFOUNDLAND-SNOW-STORM-large570.jpg?21), the most freeze-thaw cycles (lots of ice) in the country and some gnarly winter driving. Winter tires are a must! A good friend of mine is on the local Police force. They love their Dodge's during the spring summer or fall but clamour for the FWD cars in the fleet during the winter. He knows they don't handle as well but they do push through more snow and get stuck a lot less.

AWD and 4WD are very popular here. It is rare to find a 2WD pickup; even in most fleets 4WD dominates.

djDaemon and UN4GTBL like this.
  3. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

I agree that AWD is the best available option. However, we're talking about FWD vs RWD and given the near 50/50 weight distribution, availability of traction control, snow tires, etc., I firmly believe (and have lived it) that RWD offers an advantage over FWD now. When slippage occurs under acceleration, it's not a steering event as well.

MoparNorm likes this.
  4. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Well-Known Member

I was actually responding to the assertion that RWD would handle as well as AWD.
    I personally would prefer most RWD over FWD even in snow; however, in my experience for STRAIGHT ahead traction with other things being equal, FWD will still push through more snow. RWD cars may have a more balanced weight distribution but most FWD are still hovering at 60%+ of their weight over the drive wheels. Steering is a whole other matter ;)

5. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

While driving my 2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4 in the snow, I would always use RWD unless it was like deep snow that no one had driven down.

6. HotCarNut

Level III Supporter

Just talked to a local dealer and he got an email from Chrysler stating that ordering would open in October for December deliveries of the 300. Does anybody know if the 6.4L engine will be available in either the S or C trims (ala the 392 Scat Pack in the Dodges)?

7. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

The known info as of now suggests no. As always, things can change.

Mike

redriderbob likes this.
  8. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I'd like to see the 2015 changes first.

I like the subtle tweaks they made in 2014: blacked out that plasticky chrome tailight surround; blacked out the window frames, the new SRT trunk emblem. Minor stuff but makes the car look more appealing and expensive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UN4GTBL likes this.
  9. HotCarNut

Level III Supporter

I agree Aldo, but I personally would prefer the S with the 6.4L and Brembos (if it's available) rather than the full SRT. I don't know that the SRT is worth the extra money without the Hellcat motor. I'm pretty convinced that the take rate on the SRT 392 Challengers will be low now that you can get the Scat Pack 392, and I'm betting that things would be the same on the Chrysler side of the aisle.

10. aldo90731

Yup. I'm with you. I am not married on the SRT name. Just give me a badass Chrysler 300 with the goods! :D

11. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

First of all both Kia and Hyundai top models are RWD. And other thing if you go into a slide a FWD acts completely different than a RWD and I wonder how many drivers know that.

12. aldo90731

Most RWD owners will notice.

HotCarNut likes this.
  13. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...

Those that have never driven an RWD vehicle would have no reason to know that, and vice versa.

Those that have driven both would have experienced it for themselves.

Regardless, you'll learn it in a hurry.

UN4GTBL and HotCarNut like this.
  14. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

which might be to late.

15. aldo90731

Not always, but based on price points chances are, people get to drive a FWD before they get to drive a RWD

16. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I guess what is funny is Kia and Hyundai are going after the high end and Chrysler is competing with Ford, how sad that is.

17. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...

Kia and Hyundai are competing with Ford, too. Neither funny or sad, really.

Moparian likes this.
  18. aldo90731

More like Kia and Hyundai are "trying" to compete with BMW and Mercedes; Chrysler is trying to compete with Ford, Hyundai and Kia.

That is, unless Chrysler retains a badass RWD sedan to also try to compete with BMW and Mercedes.

HotCarNut likes this.
  19. AutoTechnician

AutoTechnician Well-Known Member

RWD does not make a car high-end. The 300 is not a BMW competitor in any shape or form.

redriderbob likes this.
  20. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Then why are almost all of the high end cars RWD ???