Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 Patriot

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by Kmcnern1, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Kmcnern1

Kmcnern1 Member

I purchased a 2015 Jeep Patriot on 1//5/15. On 1/12/15, the first day it rained since I had the vehicle, I came out of work to discover it appeared to be "raining" inside my vehicle. Water was coming in from the dome light above the dashboard. Water got all over the radio, heat vents, control knobs, gear shift, and console. I immediately drove to the dealership. The service department said they would take care of everything and I dropped the car with them. I then went to speak with the sales manager. I was very upset set. The car was a week old and only had 156 miles on it. I wanted the car replaced because I didn't feel as though I should have to pay for a water damaged vehicle. The sales manager took down my information and said they would have to check out the car first. As soon as I got home, I called Chrysler Customer Assistance and started a case with them indicating what happened and that I wanted the car replaced. I was assigned a case manager on 1/15/15. She told me she would do some research and then present me with my options. It is not 2/16/15 and I have still have not had a resolution with my case manager and the Chrysler Resolution Team. My case manager has not provided me with updates within the 2-3 business days that she said she would. She is NEVER available to reach by phone (I've tried calling multiple times at various times through out the business day). When I do speak with her, which was once a week (if that) she would give me answers such as "I'm working on your options" or "I'm waiting to hear back from the dealership." This has been completely frustrating, with the most frustrating part happening yesterday....My dealership has been trying to work with my case manager. The owner of the dealership has encountered the same issues in terms of trying to get in touch with my case manager and waiting long periods of time for a call back. My dealership came up with a resolution, which I agreed to, in which my current (water damaged) vehicle would be exchanged with a new vehicle and the financing would stay the same. My dealership came up with this option because I have not yet received my title yet in the mail which delays a "trade in"/"buy back" option. My dealership presented this option to the my case manager at the resolution team. She was unwilling to accept this option. When I spoke with after this news, I explained again how I was sold a defective vehicle that sustained water damage and how I should not have to pay any money out of pocket for being sold a defective vehicle (I have been saying this all along...no one seems to listen). My case manager will only offer the "goodwill program" which will have costs on my end and that cannot even be done for another month or so because I do not have a title yet. I am extremely frustrated because this whole process should not have happened in the first place buying a brand new vehicle and the fact that the dealership is will to help me and Chrysler Resolution Team is being inflexible and treating me so poorly has been so upsetting. I feel trapped with my water damaged vehicle and looks like I will be going to arbitration now. The Chrysler Resolution Team did not work with my dealership and did not keep their promise on providing me with more than one option and calling back within the 2-3 business...such an awful experience with them! And still NO resolution.

2. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

Calling it water damaged is a little excessive. It's "rained" in my Patriot multiple times through the front dome light and I have yet to have any electrical issues. Though it is weird that it would happen to a new vehicle. It's usually due to clogged drain tubes (which are basically a routine maintenance item if you have the sunroof). I would have thought the dealer could have just investigated and repaired the vehicle pretty quickly.

3. RonGD

RonGD Member

That dealer needs some big time negative social media comments!! Ridiculous!

4. djd's turbo

djd's turbo Active Member

Why do you say the dealer? It sounds to me like Chrysler is being ridiculous . Why are Patriots leaking through the dome light? That sounds ridiculous to me!! And I really like Patriots AND Chrysler! Shame!!

fargo72 likes this.
  5. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

Back in the '80s, when FWD cars came in with water leakes and soaked carpets, customers didn't get another car. We simply stripped out the bad stuff, fixed the leaks, and gave back to the customer. Lots of carpets where shampooed. A lot was because of aftermarket add ons, sunroofs, radios, a/c systems. The installers were not always quality conscious, if you know what I mean?

6. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Our Dodge Avenger had the common problem of the trunk lid filling up with water when it rained. When you opened the trunk you could hear a big pile of water sloshing to the back. If you didn't open the trunk fast enough, the water would spill out the lid latch opening and into the trunk, which everybody knows is not good. Told the dealer about it and they knew about the problem. So, they took the two rubber plugs out of the back of the lid so when you lifted up the lid, all the water would run out and down around the trunk channel and onto the ground. It fixed the water staying in the lid sheet metal, but it didn't really fix the leak. I wasn't happy with knowing there was water always flowing through the lid, so I fixed it the "right" way, which took an extra 10 minutes. The problem was the third brake light seal in the trunk lid. It has one of those crappy foam rubber seals around it that after being compressed for a while, didn't seal anymore. A nice bead of black adhesive sealer around the foam fixed it. No more leak!
    Buying a new vehicle like the op did and having problems from day one, can make you pull your hair out. I believe this is FCA's biggest obstacle today. They should work on getting it fixed ASAP before it blows into something way bigger, and now you have a customer who wouldn't recommend a purchase to the devil. These are the people who fill out those CR reports and gives them all sorts of red dots! Ridiculous!

floridaman2013 likes this.
  7. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Active Member

My impression is that every brand of car that offers sunroofs gets a few leaky ones. I believe that some brands [Rolls-Royce, certainly; M-B, high end models for sure, others maybe; Lincoln, historically; Cadillac, historically; and Buick, most models] actually test those things thoroughly before shipping cars to dealers. For the rest it seems to be the luck of the draw. Some manufactures and dealerships have friendlier customer service than others. Unless you are a frequent buyer at the same dealership, you can waste a lot of good will by too-aggressive haggling at the time of purchase.

8. RonGD

RonGD Member

Correct, its Chrysler being asses!!!

fargo72 likes this.
  9. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

This is a known issue on the Patriot (and Compass) and has been for many years. I think there's even a TSB about it. If I remember right, there is a drain tube that's attached to the surround of the sunroof that is supposed to drain away water. This can either get clogged (or is probably kinked, in your case) and preventing the drain so the water goes where it can.

I suspect you will not get a new car out of this, but if there is any actual damage to the interior it definitely should be replaced, foot-dragging by those involved notwithstanding. I would think they are really only responsible to bring the vehicle to the condition it was before the incident.

ETA: I don't see where you mentioned that you actually have a sunroof. If not, I'm not sure where it would be coming from.

RonGD, MPE426HEMI and floridaman2013 like this.
  10. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

Uhm... you have to allow the dealership an opportunity to fix it before jumping in and demanding a replacement. Even Lemon Laws require a certain # of trips for the dealer to repair the car for the same problem within a specified period of time. If the repair cannot fix the problem after the car meets those criteria that defines a "Lemon" one goes from there.

You seem to have jumped a few steps in the process.

11. Daryl Weston

Daryl Weston New Member

I was looking at a friend's '16 Patriot with what appeared to be a leak in the driver's side firewall area. Carpeting removal earlier revealed 2" of water in the D/S footwell only from recent heavy rains. JEEP seemed to use a liberal amount of seam tape to join various firewall and firewall to body panels on the Patriot/Compass series. Pinch welds, seam tape and paint did not seal the vehicle as they expected. We are talking one inch intervals between welds points too! So far, by directiing water spray to the drivers side firewall inside the engine compartment, we found horizontal panels that leak and a vertical seam leak underneath the driver left foot rest, both not seem taped. Flex Seal spray has been ordered for the problems. MUST CHECK on temperature ratings of Flex Seal before it is used inside engine compartment. The exterior of the lower leaky area is covered by the fender liner. That was removed and the exterior aspect is not taped, of course, as expected. Lot of water directed at the top of the strut ended up inside, so the area between the rearward of the strut tower and the firewall is going to be water sealed wuth silicon sealant. No leaks found elsewhere. If you like to repair your own Jeep I would seal EVERYTHING that looks like a seam. If not proceed with buyback and use a Lemon Law lawyer. PERSIST. This type of leak in these vehicles seem to far be less frequent than windshield, sunroof seal, door seal and CHMSL seal leaks which are 98% of leaks. Good luck and stay dry!

12. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. It should still be under the basic warranty. Has he had it back to the dealer for this? How many times?

13. Daryl Weston

Daryl Weston New Member

Looks like Flex Seal will be good up to 250 degrees F, so that's a go. High temp Silicon will go into 400s, engine compartment temps will not get tha
    Sure has! My friend is not on a first name basis with the Service Director like I am from being a former employee of the dealer for over 15 years. So he got the "Jeep Hustle" from the service tech and advisor: "We couldn't find any water or a leak." He likes to fix things himself, as do I, so we investigated. Most dealerships do not have the time or inclination for a problem that does not involve a "remove and replace" scenario
    Sad but true, but the techs are frequently not given the time or OK to act.

14. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

There was a TSB on Sunroofs and missing body seam sealer during assembly for Caliber. This may have also included Compass and Patriot models. I have a 2007 Caliber that has remained dry inside.
    I thought that this issue was only on early production and that by 2016 the problems of missing sealers was long gone. Of course the PM/MK sealer-bot maintenance was probably like playing whack-a-mole and could rear its ugly head at any time.
    I used to hate getting wind noise/water leak under warranty. It paid OK, but there was better paying work to do.
    Some jobs we farmed out to the body shop for this. Dashes, HVAC assemblies, seats and headliners sometimes had to come out. There was one guy that was very good at finding and fixing leaks and he didn't mind doing them.
    The TSB and an accompanying Chrysler Service pdf booklet on 'missed sealer' areas was a big help to me. Because some body joints are important for crash-integrity, Chrysler only recommends certain sealers be used:
    Jeep Patriot Water Leak Problems
    www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Patriot/TSB/tsb_2301610.pdf
    Jeep Patriot Leak Repair Tips... - Jeep Patriot Forums

15. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

Most auto stores will sell Auto Body Seam Sealer. Its much like calk, perhaps a little stiffer and harder, easier to sand. I've used it to seal floor pans and works and lasts. Perhaps vertical surfaces would be more difficult.

RonGD likes this.