Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016-17 and beyond JGC shifter

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by DirtyLarry, Dec 19, 2016.

1. DirtyLarry

DirtyLarry Member

Wow, that recall looks like a mess. Thanks for the info on the 3 shifters. Pretty disappointed to hear your feedback but it is what it is. Crazy how much different it is than GM stuff

2. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The 8 speed is an excellent transmission. You have nothing to worry about.

Mike

DirtyLarry and valiant67 like this.
  3. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Its electronic in the Grand Cherokee.

W6PEA and DirtyLarry like this.
  4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The monostable recall has nothing to do with reliability — it’s a problem with the user interface. The Windows 8 of shifters.

wtxiceman and valiant67 like this.
  5. DirtyLarry

DirtyLarry Member

I’ve driven several RAM 1500’s with the 8 speed and like the way they shift (outside of the dial) and my SIL has a ‘14 JGC with the 3.6 and 8 speed. It runs great and shifts very nice. I would expect it to be rather busy for V6/8 speed at high altitude but quite the opposite. Shifts better than the busy busy shifting 6L80 in our old Tahoe. I like everything about SIL JGC other than the video game-like shifter. If we go for the JGC it too will be the 3.6L. That is a great engine.

Thanks for the video Bob. Figures, the one place I didn’t look for info was Youtube :(

What I mean by mess, is the R08 recall Mike V showed us for the 200 is labor intensive. 1.3 on up to 7.9 hours is intensive for a recall. I bet the techs love that recall.

Still on the fence as my feelings of a fully electronic transmission like the 8 speed. Really, when you get down to it the GM transmissions I am used to are still electronic with a mechanical park pawl and range mode switch located on the mechanical range lever on the side of the trans case instead of in the shifter assembly itself as with the 8 speed. Aside from the mechanical park pawl and location of the shift lever range switch the operation is much the same. Guess I am hung up on the mechanical park pawl portion that does not exist on the 8 speed. Seems a little too reliant on electronics

6. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Ok, so if the monostable shifter is the only thing you do not like about your SIL's Grand Cherokee then you are in luck because the Grand Cherokee no longer uses that shifter as of the 2016 MY.

So there you go, go buy a new Grand Cherokee and don't worry about it, it will serve you well.

Mike

BobbiBigWheels and DirtyLarry like this.
  7. W6PEA

W6PEA "Old Jarhead"
    Level III Supporter

Thanks for posting this thread. I learn some thing new every day about my 2016 JGC Overland.Our's is a WK@ and we have the shifter that is the last picture.

8. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

Like people have been posting, the Problem is the design of the Mono-Stable Shifter, specifically the motion the user has to make to shift, i.e. the user interface. People don't like it, specifically cause its too easy to incorrectly shift to a gear/mode you didn't intend and it happens more often than other shifter designs.

There is nothing wrong with the electronics/mechanics of the transmission and shifters, they work fine and are reliable. Vehicles do NOT jump out of park, they don't give false indications, they have plenty of chimes and dash board lights and warning messages.

If you have the Mono-Stable shifter, even the NHTSA reports admits, if you double check the indicator says you're in Park and set the brake, the vehicle won't roll away. If you're lazy and park the vehicle improperly, chances will be higher that it could roll away.

With the new shifter, less chances of incorrectly shifting to the wrong gear/mode (a complaint, but not a recall) and if you're going to park your vehicle lazily and just throw the shifter all the way forward without checking, well the new shifter shouldn't have any higher risk of roll away than any other shifter (the subject of the recall).

W6PEA likes this.
  9. Rick Anderson

Oh, the Recall fix for the 2014 & 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee's is a software fix, which is much cheaper than physically replacing the shifter with a new one.

The other vehicles with monostable shifters (or similiar design with a different brand name) also have electric/electronic parking brakes that can be set by a computer command. So these vehicles weren't recalled, cause if a lazy driver didn't slap the monostable shifter forward properly and just hopped out of their vehicle, the computer would set the electric parking brake. The JGC has a manual parking brake that can't be set by a computer command.

So the 2014-2015 JGC will be recalled to have new software loaded that will recognize conditions where a driver may be getting out of a vehicle that is NOT parked and automatically shift the transmission into park, regardless of what the shifter is set to.

Looking at the photos, the monostable shifter and its replacement look similar enough and their trim pieces look similar enough, it might be possible to retrofit the later shifter to a '14-'15 JGC. We'll never know until someone tries. If the shifter is a electronic module that communicates with the Central Gateway on the CAN bus, its always possible it will be rejected simple cause its the wrong configuration the central gateway is programmed to accept, its just as likely it might not. As well, many people are convinced the shifter isn't a module at all, simply discrete circuits to the transmission, and thus retro-fit would only be a matter of connectors interfacing or splicing the right wires.

10. W6PEA

W6PEA "Old Jarhead"
    Level III Supporter

This is the shifter in my 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 Overland. The shift seems okay, but I sure do no like the shifting paddles on the steering wheel. They are some what of a PITA. :(

11. Rick Anderson

What do you NOT like about the shift paddles?

They do NOT work properly?

-OR-

You don't use them, and find they just get in the way? (that I can see, many people never shift an automatic manually, having paddles on the steering wheel that get in the way or accidentally bumped and actuate a shift not wanted, could be a PITA, in that case the shifter having the ability bump up/down a gear is preferable, for the rare occasion, like engine braking down a mountainside).

12. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

I drove 3 different JGCs with the monostable shifter and had no problem with any of them. Maybe because I learned to drive in the old days when the key would come out even if the shifter of an auto trans was not in park. Or if you drove a standard shift, you had to remember to leave it in gear and put on the parking brake. Oh horrors, having to think and pay attention. How quaint and difficult at the same time.
    Back in the old days, for manuals we had 3 speed manuals, 4 speed manuals, 5 speed manuals and Nissan sold one on the FWD Datsun 310 that was different from every other 5 speed on the road. No bleating and howling that I recall...
    PS if I were an engineer, I would not have designed it the way they did, I'd have made the shifter stay in the position that the gear 'should' be in based on past designs. But even though I've driven cars with conventional shifters since 1972, all I had to do was look at the shifter quadrant in the dash cluster to see what gear I was in. Just like driving an auto trans with a column mounted shifter. Remember those?
    Oh and the Fords that used to slip from park into reverse, back in the 70s, I had one of those too, never had a problem with it either. The recall? It was as sticker lol!

Too bad that technology has the effect it does on people. Making them more lazy and careless.

wtxiceman likes this.
  13. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

It's nothing new.
    Why did Chrysler do away with push button automatics after 1964?
    Why did GM drop the P-N-D-L-R pattern?
    Not that much different back then than it is now.

14. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

I cannot believe people are still talking about this shifter?

15. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

I believe that back in the 60s a standard gear position was mandated for automatics (prndl). But the CC push button design used these gear positions; they changed it themselves to make CC cars more acceptable for former GM & Ford owners..

16. W6PEA

W6PEA "Old Jarhead"
    Level III Supporter

The paddles on the steering wheel are in the way. Glad I can de-activate them.

17. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

The only dead horse that gets beat more than this shifter is FCA discontinuing the 200 and Dart.

wtxiceman and Doug D like this.
  18. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Hey, this is Allpar. We beat everything to death and then some. :rolleyes:

BobbiBigWheels, W6PEA and page2171 like this.
  19. W6PEA

W6PEA "Old Jarhead"
    Level III Supporter

I have a friend that had a 63 Dodge Dart it was his father go to work beater. It's now his go to work beater. Slant 6 and push button Torqueflite transmission. The floor board has more holes in it than a kitchen strainer.

He bought a new Jeep Cherokee 4x2. Sold the Dodge Dart to some Marine a MCAS Miramar.

20. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

Yes, the de-activation is a good feature for many. I actually have found myself accidentally triggering the paddles when playing with the steering wheel mounted audio controls. I will say also, the paddles are a blast for ripping around though.

Rick Anderson likes this.