Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016 Laredo $3000.00 garage door opener

Discussion in 'Car Dealer Hangout' started by jwp44, Feb 20, 2016.

1. jwp44

jwp44 Active Member

I was building a 2016 Laredo on the Jeep website and found that if I wanted a garage door opener, I had to select a $2000.00 package that had things that I did not want and once I selected said package, was told that I also had to select the $995 sunroof; what is wrong with these people? Something like a garage door opener should be a stand alone option like the back up camera is now. Only the Laredo has the fold flat front passenger seat, which I want; If the Limited model offered the option of deleting the power front passenger seat and replace it with a manual seat, then it would also fold flat.

2. MoparJoe

MoparJoe Well-Known Member

get an phone app for it ...

TripleT likes this.
  3. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

Or hang the remote on the visor if you still have a flip phone.

TripleT likes this.
  4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The automakers bundle options into 'convenience packages' or 'preferred groups'. It is just much easier to build and order vehicles this way.
    Are they perfectly tailored to each individual need? No, but they try to follow what has been the trend in option orders from both the dealers and customers. They research this stuff.
    At best, it is a compromise. As stated, I would just clip your door opener to the visor or use a phone app.

Doug D, TripleT and Zagnut27 like this.
  5. TripleT

Level III Supporter

floridaman2013 likes this.
  6. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

Just another example of a poor marketing decision that has been increasingly plaguing FCA customers in recent years. Everything is done in packages and even those packages are often limited to the higher price models. Just like you can't get a sunroof in a Grand Caravan but you can in a Town & Country. Can't get a 2-speed transfer case or V8 in anything but a Durango R/T, not any other Durango. You could last year, but this year the marketing people took that choice away from customers. Yet you can get it on any Grand Cherokee that rolls off the same assembly line.

Ian likes this.
  7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

FCA's not the only one that does this.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  8. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

Nope, but that doesn't make it any better. Regardless of brand, it is frustrating to have to order thousands of dollars of options you don't want to get the $200 option you do want. I can accept it when there is a technical reason why you can't get a certain combination of equipment of a vehicle, but I just get plain angry when it's purely a marketing decision to force people to spend more money on expensive packages or are forced to spend thousands more on the next model or two up the food chain. Geez, I remember all the promises that introducing more automation into car production was going to enable MORE flexibility in custom ordering for customers by lowering costs. That turned out to be a fallacy. Instead we have fewer choices and have to settle for pre-packaged models that don't necessarily meet our needs. Cars are an expensive purchase and yet you have to compromise way too much.

9. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I can agree with both sides, but when I boil everything down, trucks being as expensive as they are, pushing $40-50-60K, one would think picking and choosing options would be reasonable without the packaging. Not like we are talking wanting heavy duty brakes on the weakest rear end, that I can understand as a package, but electronics is simply one harness and items not plugged in still have the pigtails left in place because it is cheaper to have one harness with 50 pigtails than it is to have 50 combinations, one for each application/option made specifically. A sun/moon roof with a garage door opener option doesn't sound very logical, either, in a package deal or not, no, that's a roof skin and window and mechanicals/electrics, just to have a garage door opener built in?
    If you want the garage door opener that much, locate it in the truck, then go to the dealer and get one and install it if the visor clip-on one isn't good enough.

10. Doug D

I know, but your statement seem to imply they are the only ones. Yes, I agree the way some "packages" are put together doesn't make sense. I do agree with jwp44. Why would you have to have the sunroof just to (ultimately) get the garage door opener? That is ludicrous.

11. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

For years (decades) the US automakers were told they needed to emulate the Japanese automakers. So they did, going from almost unlimited option and color choices to reduced color palates and option groups.

AvengerGuy likes this.
  12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Yup. The Germans were similar. Wanted A/C on a Rabbit? Had to get the "L" package. (Or some such.) Cuts costs and improves quality through lower complexity.

13. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Until the 1980s, you could not get air conditioning on most cars without buying an automatic transmission. Ridiculous.

14. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

A real man can lift his own garage door... Cost = free. :cool:
    Take off the springs and call it a work out! ;)

Seriously, there are cheaper options that building a vehicle with that feature in it.

Doug D likes this.
  15. Doug D

Garage? What's a garage? ;) Real men park their vehicles outside in the elements.

DC-93 and Zagnut27 like this.
  16. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Yes, outside where we wear flannel shirts and sing lumberjack songs! (Because my garage is too full of junk...er...I mean tools!)

image.jpeg

DC-93 and Doug D like this.
  17. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

I have a 24 x 34 and 22 x 22 garage, neither of which I use for daily drivers! :cool:

18. Doug D

Most of my neighbors who do have garages can't get their daily drivers in the garage as the garage being used for storage.

DC-93 likes this.
  19. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

I try to time vehicle maintenance with better weather days. Not fun changing oil, doing a brake job or whatever when it's snowing and 20 degrees!

Doug D and Zagnut27 like this.
  20. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

For me, Homelink is a big deal. I like having it in all my vehicles and have had it in every one of them over the last 15 or so years. No remote to lose or feed batteries. I save the remotes for guests and those times when a rental/loaner is in use. All my kids have Homelink in their cars with one of their buttons programmed to one of my garage doors so they have access when visiting. Our garage is pretty much the main entrance to our house. I think the last time I opened the front door was to remove the Christmas wreath and toss it. Believe it or not, lack of Homelink could be a deal breaker for me. It's one of the first things I look for on the window sticker.

Zagnut27 likes this.