Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016 Laredo $3000.00 garage door opener

Discussion in 'Car Dealer Hangout' started by jwp44, Feb 20, 2016.

1. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

If it's a fairly basic vehicle, I'd look at the Gentex mirror with the Homelink buttons built it.
    I like the Homelink as i have two separate garages and can program one button for each rather than having two remotes on the visor to fool with.

2. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

Yeah, that's a good option. I considered that for our '97 Cherokee, but toward the end it was a spare vehicle parked outside anyway and the $300+ for the mirror and the aggravation of dropping the headliner to run the wires pretty much dampened my enthusiasm for that project. I would get auto-dimming as a bonus!

3. valiant67

Level III Supporter

You can get auto-dimming and Homelink for just over $200 now with careful shopping.

4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I hear that! If the weather becomes totally uncooperative, I wave the white flag and take it to the dealer. I don't mind spending the extra $10 or so for an oil change at the dealer. Brakes on the other hand, I will wait until the weather gets better.

DC-93 and ScottB like this.
  5. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Grand Cherokee is a carryover model.

Buy the homelink console from a wrecking yard and put it in :)

I have a PT Cruiser sunvisor with the transmitter built in-- you're welcomed to it. I gave the car to my Nephew and he won't care.

6. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

3-bay garage underway now. Rear bay will be for repairs and for storage of my 84 Daytona Turbo Z. Finally getting under shelter after 38 years of working on cars outside.
    IMGP1227s.jpg

UN4GTBL, Zagnut27 and valiant67 like this.
  7. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I have a garage door opener built into my Liberty...I'd forgotten about because I haven't used it in so long. It worked fine at our last home, but it doesn't work with our current garage doors. I don't blame the opener though, because the actual openers for the doors (3-car garage, with 1 door being manual) barely work either. These doors have never worked right, no matter what I've done. Just one more thing in this recently-built home that I have to fix/replace.... The good news is, we should have a brand new home by the time I'm done. Sigh.

8. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

I couldn't live without a garage. I grew up in house where the garage was full of my father's stuff. No sooner would I organize it enough to get one car in, and he'd have some new project going that sucked that space back up. Did a lot of shade tree work on my early Mopars as a result. When I had my first house built, I couldn't afford a garage, but I made sure the house was situated on the lot so I could eventually add one. Which I did two years later along with a family room and a 4th bedroom above. Here in New England a garage is more important than a kitchen. You can always go out to eat. Next house I build will not only have a garage, but a carriage house with at least 6 bays for all those collector Mopars I plan on picking up. Kids are grown and gone, now its ME time.

UN4GTBL, stew1927 and ImperialCrown like this.
  9. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

This garage will NOT be filled with clutter. Cars, car tools and supplies, bicycles, and trash barrel. That's it. Everything else has a place. I will not lose space to something that doesn't belong there.

10. valiant67

Level III Supporter

I have a two car attached (Durango and Wrangler), 2 car detached (Dakota and Magnum) with a nice attic for storage plus the two oldest cars (Dakota and Cordoba) still stored in the old neighborhood where I used to live until that house is finally sold out of the estate. I'll probably rent storage (it's cheap up here) for the two when it's time to move them. So much nicer having 6 covered spaces than the 4 I used to have.

11. Doug D

Good luck with that though I'm sure you'll keep it neat and tidy.

Even though my Dad was an engineer and kept everything neat and organized, he sometimes did not so such a good job in the garage. One time while he was working in Utah and my stepmother and I were still in house in Colorado I took the time to organize the garage such that we could get her car ('75 LeMans) and my '79 Monza in. There were still assorted boxes and such from our move from Florida stacked up in the garage. It took me half a day, but I finally made enough room to get both cars in. It was tight, but they were both in. Good thing I did as a winter storm came through a few days later. It was so nice not having to clean snow off either vehicle. Just open the doors (manual), fire up the car and go. :)

When a friend of mine added his garage, he had the garage 20' tall. He then had a electric lift installed in one bay. He had his '65 GTO wagon up on the left and his '69 Camaro underneath it while the Suburban (wife's car) was parked in the other bay. His daily driver was a full size Chevrolet van parked outside.

12. Intrepidatious

Level 2 Supporter

I bought a Gentek mirror the day after I bought my new car just for Homelink (and auto-dimming). $30 on Ebay.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  13. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

Wow, that's a great deal! Pays to shop around I guess. :)

14. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

I'd never have a garage door opener...

Buddy of mine had his hacked into and they cleaned out his garage. All happened when on vacation.
    A neighbor saw a van in the driveway, right in front of the garage, but didn't think twice about it.

Reminds me of break-ins while folks are at a funeral service. When I was a kid, the house across the street got cleaned out while we were all at the service for the old man that lived there. Folks read the obits and plan ahead...

15. Doug D

Or thieves cruise the neighborhood on a Friday evening looking for obvious signs a resident is preparing to go on vacation - cars/vans loaded up the night before, campers/trailers hitched up, etc. That's why I usually don't load up until just before we actually depart.

Always a good idea to let your local law enforcement office (sheriff, police dept, etc) know how long you'll be out of town. Ours has a form you can fill out and turn in. They'll inform the officers on road patrol accordingly. We also let our neighbors know to keep on eye on the place.

On that note I try to leave the exterior looking like it's "lived in". Get timers to turn on/off lights, TV, radio on a somewhat regular basis.

The old garage door openers had a limited number of codes or were only one set code. You could literally drive down the street and click on your own opener and 1/3 to 1/2 the doors would open. Scary thought.

DC-93 likes this.
  16. Ian

Ian Car Freak

When I was shopping for my Durango, I couldn't care less if I had a Hemi or not, I personally prefered a smaller engine as we have to pay extra in the province of QC for each additional litres of displacement over a 4.0L. I wanted a Limited with the nicer seats, moonroof, etc. Therefore, I had to get a Hemi. The good thing now is you can get a Limited or Citadel Durango with a V6.

17. runfromcheney

runfromcheney Member

The garage door opener is integrated into the overhead console assembly and can not removed or repaired separately. Every time I've had to repair the HomeLink on a newer Grand Cherokee I've had to replace the whole overhead console, so that may explain why it's like this... by bundling it with the sunroof then that's one less overhead console variation they have to produce. Or they could have just made the homelink standard and eliminated the base console. Either way.