Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 GC Summit Stall on Start/Electrical Issue

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by ericmcd81, May 30, 2017.

1. ericmcd81

ericmcd81 New Member

Hi All,

Just wanted to throw this issue out there and see if anyone has had something similar.. A little background:

Vehicle is a 2017 GC Summit with the HEMI - have had the vehicle less then 90 days.. Bought the vehicle "used" with 300 miles on it (original vehicle in service date was Jan 24, 2017). Clean CarFax. My wife bought it for me while I was away on a business trip. She put about 900 trouble free miles on it in 3 weeks. I got home from my trip, drove it about 130 miles and then the trouble started..

Symptoms are as follows - cranks and starts normally then immediately stalls. Have to try to start it about 2-3 times and then it will start - when it does start, memory seat starts moving forward into the set position, then stops with a message that says "Memory Seat not allowed while vehicle in motion" (or something like that), however the vehicle is certainly not moving. I'll then get a myriad of service lights: SERV 4WD, the ABS Light, the Traction control light, park sense functions intermittently (in reverse, the predictive course markings on the cam we erratically flashing on and off), FCW/AAC is disabled with a service warning, red BRAKE light (not every time this happens but most of the time), occasional service AIR SUSPENSION, Lane sense service light. Also feels like I have no power steering. Think that about covers it.

These warnings persist mostly from start to start once the problem occurs. I did get the vehicle to start cleanly on a couple of occasions but once I put it into reverse, and started moving, I got the lights mentioned above.

I had it towed into the originating dealer. It took them a few days, but I got the vehicle back and it seemed to run fine. They referenced a STAR number (which I don't have at the moment, I'll post it when I do) and said the inspected and ABSconnector and the connector coming out of the Power Distribution Center for water. They found none, applied dielectric grease and then did a PCM and TCM update. Ran the vehicle all day the day I got it back, went to work, ran erands, no problem. Parked it for the night and when I came out the next day to goto work, I remote started it in earshot of the vehicle and heard it immediately stall. Got in and fired it up and same symptoms as above. Had it towed back in and am awaiting diagnosis #2.

I have not driven it in this condition - have had it towed both times. Don't want to risk damaging something else when it's in this condition.

This sure seems like a ground has cut loose somewhere or the speed sensor lines are shorting someplace. Frustrating on a car with less then 1200 miles on it.

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I had a 2014 Grand Cherokee that had similar issues. It was a low mileage vehicle with a clean service history. They never found the cause and the dealer bought it back. I suspected either a bad battery, wiring or the TIPM was failing (somewhat common failure point).

3. ericmcd81

ericmcd81 New Member

Yea.. I have read a lot on this forum and jeep garage about faulty TIPMs and ABS modules... Hoping it's something like that, a wiring harness or a ground that's just cut loose somewhere...

Dealer just opened a STAR case on it.. I am remaining optimistic, as I love the vehicle, but if they can't get it figured out I don't see any other way then to go the buyback/replacement vehicle route.