NewsWhat’s special about the Demon? • Demon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Pacifica - New Package

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by Mike V., Mar 10, 2017.

1. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

I had assumed it was a trim/option level package, but then I saw the order guide and it made more sense. A dealer knows their customers and they can order the model that they feel will serve them best. I look at it as three separate entry modes based purely on demographics. This gives the dealer flexibility to order the best model for themselves. If this model catches on, and I think it will, we may see with the Touring-L dropped of the Touring dropped from the lineup.

They are testing the waters with this new package and I think it will be a real hit. That's what the poster being over critical is not considering... this may be the first part of a phase out of one of the existing models based on competition, but it is far easier to be insulting of the marketing department because he can't see the faces of the people who work there.

If the marketing people sat on their hands and did nothing, they would be insulted also. Another damned if they do and damned if they don't situation.

Mike

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    tlc and BobbiBigWheels like this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

The marketing people making these decisions should be experts in their field. We keep hearing about how tight resources are, but we see brand names, model names and trim level names squandered time after time.
    It's time to stop making short-sighted costly decisions on product names. Package contents have been adjusted numerous times in the past without such apparent turmoil and creating sub-trim levels.

Mopartial and UN4GTBL like this.
  3. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

THIS IS A GOOD MARKETING DECISION.

What turmoil??? The only turmoil is from the people who are looking for a reason to complain and insult management. I'm sorry but your post above and the other posts are what is creating turmoil that is off topic.

There was no turmoil and the complaints have nothing to do with this specific model. For that matter one of our well known sales guy on this forum clearly likes the package and wants to order it. That speaks volume.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Nothing has been "squandered" when it comes to the new Pacifica Touring-L Plus. Stick to the topic and complain about management in one of the other many threads that are focused on complaining about management decisions.

Good news being stomped on, the new normal for Allpar.

Mike

Christopher, tlc, wilbur and 3 others like this.
  4. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

If anyone has actual time questions regarding the content or pricing of this new trim/model, please feel free to post.

Let's get to the meat of the package and discuss what it really is rather than turn this thread into another "management decisions are bad" thread.

Mike

5. DarkSky

DarkSky Cruising Around Level III Supporter

I don't think people are complaining because of the variety of trim levels. I think the source of the frustration is the fact that we have so many trim levels (Touring, Touring Plus, Touring L, Touring L-Plus) that all have basically the same name, which WILL be confusing for a lot of consumers.

As for the content of the package, I think this does hit the sweet spot of the minivan market though. The Pacifia in my mind doesn't even compete with the other minivans, not only because it is a better value, but because it actually has a decent design.

6. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru! Supporter

Many people won't know about certain packages... the thing is most dealers order certain packages and not others. The new Touring package will be a success price wise for sure. But I agree with you on too many trim levels. Hopefully this package will help eliminate the current incentives on the Pacifica, because the other packages are way over priced. Chrysler and FCA US as a whole, needs to learn to price more effectively so they don't have to use the incentives so heavily.

Ian, dakota21 and DarkSky like this.
  7. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

Again you are assuming that this is permanent mode scheme and they are not phasing out a trim level.

Again you are turning this thread into another complain about management decision thread

Most consumer have no clue how the packages are arranged or priced. The dealer orders the package that best suits their target demographic. This is what keeps being ignored by the people complaining. The "inventory" vehicles sitting on lots are based on demographics. This is an "inventory" vehicle.

This is not a vehicle a customer orders, this is a consumer vehicle that a dealer orders ten of in various color schemes and has sitting on their lot waiting for an average consumer to walk up and buy because it is a super competitive package geared toward the consumer. Please stop making it out to be something it is not. To the average consumer a Touring is a Touring and they don't know the difference because they all say Touring on them.

Several people here are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. It's a new package for March 2017... how about we give it a chance instead of immediately stomping on it???

Mike

8. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

It won't be confusing because they are all labeled touring... the difference is the dealer will order the version that best fits their demo.

The only difference the consumer sees is what options are included at a specific price point. This is what people are missing. This is an inventory vehicle. A dealer will order 10 in various colors or minor option inclusions to fill their inventory. when the average consumer walks up all they know is that this is a "Touring", and they look at the options and the price.

Again this is being made into something much bigger than it needs to be. It's simply another tool in the salesmans tool box.

BobbiBigWheels likes this.
  9. DarkSky

I think you need to calm down. I never personally attacked anyone, nor did I complain about FCA management. Not every observation is criticism. This is a place to discuss. I am discussing.

I am also not assuming that it is a permanent trim level. In fact, I really doubt that it is. Like I said, I think this is a good trim level for consumers because it is in the heart of the segment, so I am not being negative toward the package.

Further, I hope this package succeeds, because I'd really like to see the Touring-L become an S model with further differentiation on the exterior of the vehicle and blue leather available inside. That would effectively replace the Grand Caravan GT as the "man van."

wvutuba, georgef, Ian and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

I don't need to calm down about anything. People are clearly trying to make this thread into a complain about management thread instead of it being an informative thread and that is extremely frustrating.

I never claimed you attacked anyone. The point is many people do not understand the point of the package. This is not a vehicle that a customer will order, it's an inventory package.

The fact that it has the same name as the other Touring models makes sense. Again, it gives a dealer an option to stock the touring model that fits their demographic the best while still retaining the Touring name across the board. When one consumer asks what model it is, oh it's a Touring.

Good, one of the few who actually get it.

And it very well might.

Mike

DarkSky likes this.
  11. DarkSky

That is actually not a bad idea. So there are effectively only three trim levels of Pacifica: LX, Touring, and Limited. With LX focused on fleet, that leaves only "two" for customers.

Sometimes it's hard to step back and look at a vehicle from the perspective of an average consumer rather than a car enthusiast who stays informed of trim levels and option packages.

tlc, DAGAR, wilbur and 3 others like this.
  12. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

BINGO!!!

It's easy to criticize when you aren't looking at the big picture.

Mike

13. svevar

svevar Member Level 2 Supporter

Except that they're all clearly advertised on Chrysler.com.

[​IMG]

It's almost as though you take personal offense at any criticism of FCA. No one is "stomping on" anything. In fact, most agree that the package itself is great. And who dictated that all Allpar discussion be positive, anyway?

What's been questioned is the strategy of having four different customer-facing "Touring" trims. Many people think it's potentially confusing, and I agree.

wvutuba, georgef, Ian and 1 other person like this.
  14. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work... Ad-Free Member

This is actually the trim level for Canadians that Sergio is keeping from us. I've never thought of it this way, but the "fleet" trims are what pays my bills. I want that LX trim ASAP - I do not think it will cannibalize Grand Caravan. Some people just don't like the Pacifica styling, in my experience, and like the 42+ years of the Caravan being the best selling Mini-Van in Canada.

As for the Touring bashing. Mike made a great point - if the vans are all just badged as "Touring" and only us sales guys will be able to spot the option difference to determine if it were an L or L-Plus is not a big deal. It actually helps my side of things. Too often a client comes in saying "fully loaded", then I ask a few questions and realize they're looking for a mid-trimmed vehicle, but God forbid I tell them it is not "fully loaded" (I hate that phrase). Having just one badge on the back helps.

UN4GTBL and Mike V. like this.
  15. DarkSky

This was my main issue too. I think they are just using them to fill out their lineup for now since there are only three real trim levels (two if you don't count the LX, since it's targeted toward fleet sales).

I bet we'll see a few more trim levels soon with different names and options that will replace some of the Tourings.