Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Ram 1500 "Project"

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, commercial trucks' started by DarkSky, Jan 9, 2018.

1. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective
    Level 2 Supporter

You can take DarkSky out of a Charger, but you can't take the Charger out of DarkSky.

DarkSky likes this.
  2. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Anxious to see how the HID headlights look when it's completely dark. I got 6500k because I didn't want anything too blue and they look...fairly blue during the day.

Edit: Just went and checked again and they're a perfect "cool white" at night, I guess the color of the projector lens kind of gives them a blue appearance.

#22 DarkSky, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Devildodge likes this.
  3. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

As for the grille ... Black out with body colour is what I'd pick but since you have a black truck... Black grille with the black chrome "RAM" would look awesome ... but I only say that cause i no like chrome.:D

DarkSky and Devildodge like this.
  4. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I would if it didn’t have chrome bumpers. I’m afraid I’ll have to deal with the chrome on this truck. But next time I’ll get a Sport or the equivalent of that.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  5. Shane Estabrooks

What would it take to "Black Chrome" the bumpers... like that would be ...WOW

Devildodge likes this.
  6. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I'm not sure, but I think that doing any kind of work on the bumpers would be kind of a pain. I imagine there would be problems getting a coating to stick to chrome.

7. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

You could always get an aftermarket bumper to go with the bigger tires. Add in some more cool lighting. Some of the aftermarket bumpers really add to the look. Or just get a sport bumper. Remember you are making this truck yours and the options are endless once you begin.

8. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

If you are displeased with the Stock bumpers, sell them, and buy aftermarket versions you really like. A friend customized his truck. Each time he pulled a part off, he sold it, and most of the time, the sale of the OEm part more than covered the cost of the aftermarket part.

Devildodge and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  9. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Grill?

Chrome baby. Body color if you don’t like chrome. Unlike @Shane Estabrooks, I prefer chrome. Monotone reminds me too much of the 1980’s whiteout or murdered trends.

10. Shane Estabrooks

Heard of it done but not sure of the involvement... there are also peel off coatings that give you the look

11. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I will probably end up just putting the stock RAM grille on it without any modifications. I'd be afraid of the color not being perfectly matched to my paint since it's metallic and my OCD would go nuts with that.

I'm thinking I'll probably also just put a 1.5 or 2" level on the front and some mud tires on the stock wheels and not mess with the suspension too much. I've heard too many problems about CV joints wearing out because of the taller kits.

12. NYBo

Level III Supporter

I'm almost afraid to ask: Do you have a budget in mind for all of this? :D

13. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I’m not planning to do it all at once. Just something to keep me occupied with this truck so I can keep it for a little longer.

I’m not planning to do anything too major. I’ve pretty much decided against a full lift. It’ll look good leveled with better tires.

14. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

So, I see the DT hit you pretty hard. That mean the demise of your project. That off road package added to the trim of your choice takes you a long way on your upgrade list straight from the factory. Gotta love Ram. For the first time in 8 years I am considering a 1500. I sure can't wait to see the 2500. I may have to eat crow and buy a new truck.

Good luck with your decision. Gotta be rough having the ability to get a new truck, right when you think you want to customize one, especially when Ram is making custom pickups again.

The Adult Toys by Ram. I have said all along the 70's got nothing on today with all the stuff happening in the Mopar stable.

djsamuel and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  15. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

It's still going to be about a year before I can get a new truck, so we'll see what happens between now and then. I bought the Charger, two weeks later traded it back in for this Ram, and I'm not willing to have a 3rd hard hit on my credit right now.

I really was planning to make this truck one I could keep for a while... I didn't expect or WANT to like the DT because I knew it would mean spending more money but it happened and I love it. The off road package does knock out most of the items on my list. It may be more cost effective to keep this truck for about a year before trading it in for a DT instead of sinking money into a truck that is never going to achieve the same levels of satisfaction I would have from a factory DT Rebel or Laramie Black.

Devildodge likes this.
  16. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

That Rebel is everything that a 77 Macho Powerwagon was to me as a kid and was one of the first vehicles I owned...Wish I had took care of it and kept it.

This off road package is everything I wish my 99 had.

Great time to be a Ram Fan.

Shane Estabrooks and DarkSky like this.
  17. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I'm very strongly leaning toward a Laramie Black. If that package can be combined with the 4x4 off road package it would be fantastic. The black Laramie interior with suede accents, the 12" screen, and the panoramic sunroof... It's calling out to me. lol

Shane Estabrooks and Devildodge like this.
  18. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Still love these headlights. Highly recommend RetroShop lights to anyone looking to upgrade.
    IMG_3143.JPG