NewsThis really is the 2018 Wrangler “JL” • Red vs black keys: Real-world Hellcat performance • Windsor loses Transport

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Renegade quality- honest opinions

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by DBY2014, Mar 6, 2017.

1. DBY2014

DBY2014 Member

Hello, I currently have a 2013 Dart Limited that has had it's share of issues. Just to give you an idea here is a post where I listed a few of them:

New 2013, 2014, 2015 Dodge Darts for sale in Detroit (at https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/new-2013-2014-2015-dodge-darts-for-sale-in-detroit.167043/#post-1084838502 )

My Dart is in the shop today to fix a wheel bearing (3rd one to go out) and a radio issue (the usb, aux and sdcard slot are grayed out and don't function). I have a 2015 Renegade Latitude as a rental. It's from the dealer (not a rental company) and it only has 9,000 miles. I am actually surprised with the Renegade. The 9 speed is smooth and behaving much differently than what I experienced in a rental 200 I had. My assumption is since it is a rental from the dealer they probably have all the current software updates installed for the 9 speed. Anyway, I am at my wits end with this Dart, too many issues and I don't have the confidence things wont continue to break down as I put the miles on. Also, I have had Mopars my whole life and none of them have been that reliable to be honest. A lot of it has to do with my job as I put on miles very quickly (20-25K a year). My father is a retiree from Chrysler and have always bought Mopars. My wife keeps saying we have given Chrysler too many chances and it's time to move on. I am caught in the middle because I really want to support what supported me and my family all those years. Getting something other than Chrysler would just crush my Dad (especially if its a Toyota or Honda) and I have felt I've put up with quality issues because I don't want to offend him and I still am a loyal person. The Renegade is not on it's 3rd model year and I wondering if those who work with them and own them can give a honest opinion about them now. I have read comments that a lot of the issues (especially the electrical ones) have been pretty much solved now for 2017. If I decide to stick with FCA and this Renegade turns out to be just as bad as my Dart my marriage could be in trouble. lol I would appreciate some input, especially from those on here that service Renegades. Thanks.

2. CLShifter

CLShifter New Member

My '15 Renegade Latitude 2WD manual turbo had a bad seal on the turbo oil feed line from the factory that caused a small leak, too small to actually leave any spots on the driveway. It was discovered by the dealer service dept. at the first oil change and they replaced the part. Since then it has been trouble-free for 46,000 miles. Of course, my particular Renegade lacks the two most trouble-prone components, the 4WD system and the 9-speed automatic.

I'm also from a Mopar family going way back, but have had mostly Nissans in my adult life, with the exception of a '94 Dakota Sport in college. I traded in a 2005 Sentra SE-R Spec V for the Renegade, and I was so happy to get back into the Chrysler family, even if it's an Italian-built vehicle. I like it so much I can see myself buying another one.

I was at the dealer a few days ago for an alignment (cheaper than at the local Just Tires!) and one of the techs told me FCA had put a stop on 2017 Renegade production for some mid-cycle tweaking. I have not been able to find any confirmation of this anywhere on the Web, so I'm not sure I believe him.

3. DBY2014

DBY2014 Member

Thanks for your reply. Just spent an hour in it at lunch. I'm really liking it. I am amazed how smooth the 9 speed is compared to my past experiences. I wonder if the Renegade is getting the updated radios that the Compass is getting and a few other tweeks. Android auto would be nice to have. Dealers don't seem to have a whole lot in stock at the moment so maybe they have stopped production for some updates.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

I think that it had a better launch than the Cherokee KL. The guys at the shop are pleased with the Renegade quality so far.

5. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Member

I'd seriously consider the Cherokee instead. A much better ride and more stable at hwy speeds i.m.o.

6. gforce2002

gforce2002 Active Member

Just yesterday, I traded my 2015 Cherokee for a 2016 Renegade Trailhawk. I loved the Cherokee, but they had a huge deal going on for leftover Renegades that was hard to resist. That said, I'm really impressed with the Renegade so far. Though I never had any issues with the Cherokee's 9spd, the one in the Renegade actually is smoother and basically goes about its business completely transparently. The vehicle is quiet on the highway and rides smoothly, but the shorter wheelbase is evident when riding over broken pavement, vs. the Cherokee. Assembly quality seems excellent, with nothing loose or misaligned.

Granted, a day is not much to go on, but I'm very pleased with it so far.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  7. AmpLighter

AmpLighter Member

Lucky you. I wasn't able to sit comfortably in the Renegade even after adjusting the seat for more than 10 mins. the front seat and head room just isn't roomy enough for more as com[paired tot he jeep wrangler where as the seats are automatically in a more upright position. We learn this the hard way while test driving the Chevy Colorado.. 7 hours of pain.. those seats are very painful.. Fortunately we were able to return the truck no questions asked, no damage done other than a 7 hour test drive. I'd have to say these smaller Jeeps are designed for smaller people as with the case to the old FJ cruiser.. those seats arent bad, but the floor board was up too high which forced our legs forward and straight out.. very uncomfortable. About the only good things the Renegade had, was the tail lights which we both liked.. and should end up on the new JL/JT.

8. gforce2002

gforce2002 Active Member

Well, you absolutely should get a car that you like. They're like shoes, different brands even of the same size fit differently. You should get the ones that are comfortable. For its class though, the Renegade's front seat room and especially headroom is really quite large.