Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 SONOMA HISTORIC NASCAR MOTORSPORTS FESTIVAL

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Fast Eddie, Dec 30, 2017.

1. DrMark

DrMark Member

All very cool, but the Road Runner and Charger Daytona are stunning.

2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I don't know about the Petty car (restoration or clone?) but the #7 Charger is a restoration of 2 X Winston West Champion, Jack McCoy's Daytona. I believe that it is now owned by the son of Jack's former owner, Ernie Conn.

For those that don't know, Jack McCoy holds the all time record for Winston West (now K&N West) wins @ 54 - every one of them in a Dodge.

#3 Beentherebefore, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  3. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

I was offered the original McCoy Daytona front end from the owner of this car. He lives in PA.
    He offered it to me after the McCoy folks told him they didn't care about it!
    The chassis is legit.
    James-Hyltons-1969-Dodge-Daytona-Stock-Car-.jpg

4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

When was that (approx)? The above McCoy restored Daytona was already completed and being showed circa 2002. We saw it being paraded during the pre-race show @ Fontana in 2002. Remember, there was some talk back a while ago (HRM article) about Mario Rossi's son being offered one of the old Rossi cars by Jack McCoy back in 2001 but this restored car was already completed by then, IIRC. When McCoy raced in W. West, his cars were actually owned by Ernie Conn in the later years and Ernie's son owned this restoration and maybe still does. That doesn't preclude McCoy having more than one set of the critical Daytona parts. He mentions in his book that he got the original conversion kit directly from Chrysler. He may have bought some more from one of the other W.West racers (obviously not the Elders). Other winged Mopars were raced in W.West by Johnny Soares, Kevin Terris, and Dick Bown.

5. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

I wasn't told the date.
    But, for example, if I had restored a race Daytona with a reproduction nose, 70 Charger fenders and hood, AND THEN, I was told of the original parts being available, I'd do what is right- pull off the stuff, and GET THE REAL PARTS ON THE CAR!!!
    ...but that's just me...