Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Alfa romeo Giulia in depth review: Car&Driver

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by romalerig, Dec 17, 2017.

1. romalerig

romalerig Well-Known Member

2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia | In-Depth Model Review | Car and Driver (at https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-alfa-romeo-giulia-in-depth-model-review )

upload_2017-12-17_14-29-44.gif

2. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

Let's be brutally honest about one thing......This whole AR / Maserati affair has been nothing short of a risky expensive GAMBLE based on emotion and European pride / Italian Pride. I don't think logic had much, if anything, to do with this gamble.

For me....the big question remains.....How soon can the "stump brands" start sharing the technological benefits being blessed upon AR / Maserati???

3. Ingvar

Ingvar Active Member

I think it's the exact opposite, Alfa Romeo is in the most important segment in the whole industry in terms of profit, making it competitive and successful is establishing a strong foundation for the whole group.

4. romalerig

romalerig Well-Known Member

Oh well ! Never really ! :D As you've just said, it's a gamble based on nothing other than pride..... :rolleyes:

Deckard_Cain and Appassito like this.
  5. T_690

T_690 Active Member

https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/inve...A_2017_Third_Quarter_Results_Presentation.pdf

MaseratiQ3.jpg

butJohnDoe likes this.
  6. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

The Japanese sales of 400 for Maserati in that column should be put into some perspective, as it's a pretty good result in a market that doesn't like foreign products. Porsche sold 2,000 units (all models combined) in the same period. Mercedes, the top import brand, sold just 17,000 cars (Toyota sold around 400,000) . Jeep is the top-selling FCA brand with 2,500 units, followed by FIAT with 1,650.

AlfaCuda, MJAB and T_690 like this.
  7. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Alfa Romeo Giulia was just launched in Japan in october 2017.

As in Europe, since end of 2014, in Japan Abarth is a distinct brand than Fiat.

8. BASONE88

Supporter

Would you say luxury and desirability are overpriced(Land Rover, for instance)?

And yet, would you agree that there is a market for it?

To my logic, if I have a way to tap into that market I'm gonna do it - 'cause the mark up on said "luxury" brings cash-flow - so I can bolster the bottom line and grow the rest of the company. Is there a more logical path?

9. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Luxury can bring cash flow or luxury can lose money. It’s a delicate balance that requires “luxury” pricing plus a sustainable volume. A product with high margins and decent volume (like Jeep) is great. Alfa and even Maserati need to build volume beyond where they are or they likely won’t be a great profit machine.

Obviously the higher the margin the less volume needed.

10. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

Maserati's volumes are doing nicely, with 42,000 sold last year. The brand management said previously that they would cap sales at 75,000 per year to avoid diluting their exclusivity.

Alfa is a more uncertain proposition at present. Because of model postponements, the brand will have to trade on Stelvio and Giulia for the next two years, although I'd expect the availability of hybrid powertrains and a 300+ bhp I4 option under the QV to provide a bump in the interim. (A high-output diesel, either 2.2 or the VM 3.0 for Stelvio would also improve sales in EU.. there might be a backlash against diesels in general, but for larger, 4WD vehicles, diesel remains a sensible and desirable power option)

Giulietta and 4C are expected to be refreshed next year, the latter should provide some press interest for the brand, but Giulietta will most likely be limited to trim, tech and powertrain changes to keep it competitive until end of production. The subcompact Mito, however, finishes next year, , so Alfa will be back down to four models again (4C, Giulietta, Giulia, Stelvio).

11. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

I was hoping they would change the front end design of the Giulietta to be closer to the Giulia/Stelvio.

BASONE88 likes this.
  12. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

That would require a new headlamp cluster, which is a very expensive change to make for a "refresh". The 2016 facelift changed the front grille to better align with Giulia (and replace the old badges with new), and I think that's as far as the design can be taken without changing the lamps.

The only thing I don't like about Giulietta is the way the Daylight Running Lamps were done in the headlamp cluster. Perhaps it was a last-minute decision (DRLs didn't become mandatory until 2011, the year after Giulietta's type approval was granted), but the positioning of the lamps, and the lack of light-piping around them makes them look like an afterthought.

13. BASONE88

Supporter

Well..and I think luxury and desirability must be in tandem..or it won't work. Again - Land Rover. But Ferrari and Maserati(at least) seem to be following that formula, if not a whole lot better.

14. Deckard_Cain

Considering that the Giulietta already went through a facelift, I think they would really have to make a more extensive facelift if they want to give it a second one. Otherwise it's hardly warranted.

15. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

I think it'll be on the scale of the 2014 refresh, rather than 2016's change of badging and trim inserts. Giulietta is still a good car, it just needs some attention in the cabin to keep out up to date. A colour LCD instrument cluster, similar to that used in other FCA products, would be a start,

16. T_690

T_690 Active Member

It needs new engines. 1.0 and 1.3 turbo GSE, 2.2 diesel and 2.0 GME. But are they willing to do such updates? Where are transmissions for some of engines?

What they need to rework is interior. Steering wheel, maybe HVAC controls, and new infotainment.

AlfaCuda likes this.
  17. Deckard_Cain

To be honest, what they really need is a new model.
    When Volvo released the facelift of the V40 they changed the optics to adopt the look of the XC90 and other new models. Alfa should do the same with the Giulietta, and as you said update the interior.

18. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Volvo changed molds for V40 facelift? I don't think so. ;)

19. Deckard_Cain

Maybe not, but FCA did for the Jeep Cherokee. So why can't they do the same for the Giulietta? :p

20. T_690

T_690 Active Member

It'a a good seller. Actually for some time it was bestseller Jeep globally. IMO, in 2018 that will be new Compass.

So what they can do with Giulia? Some interior changes, new engines, new infotainment, maybe a new steering wheel as in Giulia and Stelvio, I'm not sure about new instrument cluster. There should be ADAS. For front end they can change bumpers and headlights graphics.

Deckard_Cain likes this.