Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Alfa romeo Giulia in depth review: Car&Driver

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by romalerig, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Morty

Morty Active Member

Like this?
    Alfa-Romeo-Giulietta-Ascariss-Design-render-3.jpg Alfa-Romeo-Giulietta-Ascariss-Design-render-1.jpg

Deckard_Cain and ScramFan like this.
  2. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

For the Cherokee was changed the rear tailgate.
    For the front only the front fascia (plastic) + headlights, not the metal body, lights use the same space/outer body volume and "cuts" of former model.

For Giulietta, to change the "face" would need change the front fascia, fenders + headlights to have the shape as in the render.

3. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

Agreed. But is it a worthwhile exercise given the low volumes they sell? I wish they stick to the original plan of RWD only to set the brand apart in that class and bring in an all new model instead of reheating the now aging model.

4. pumadog

pumadog Active Member

If they really want to stretch the Giulietta life until 2022, they really need to make it a biiig facelift, billed as a new generation — Like VW Golf 5 to 6 or Opel Corsa D to E. Otherwise it goes unnoticed on a 8 to 12 years old model and only burns money. And pulls the Alfa image down again.

• totally new front (but not a Frankenstein like the rendering above)
    • new rear light inserts
    • steering wheel and instruments from the Giulia
    • better plastics for dashboard and doors
    • updated infotainment
    • new GME/GSE engines, maybe with automatic option

somber, KrisW and Deckard_Cain like this.
  5. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

+ mild hybrid /also for the diesel) or plugin hybrid
    + safety assist (ADAS)

somber and pumadog like this.
  6. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

@MJAB @pumadog I agree with all of those.

Also, there is more money available for Alfa now than there was in 2013 when the model was last refreshed. I remember hearing at the time that the 2014 refresh was seriously curtailed from what had been planned.

7. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

Otherwise FCA will have another Punto situation in their hands soon.
    The Golf 5 to 6 is what I believe is the "only" acceptable option to keep the Giulietta going.

pumadog and AlfaCuda like this.
  8. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

Agreed with all of the above. However I personally think it would be far better to focus resources on an all new model in line with the new image created by the Giulia and Stelvio.

I think another facelift would be money wasted given the current low sales volume for the Giulietta.

pumadog likes this.
  9. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

Agreed with all of the above. However I personally think it would be far better to focus resources on an all new model in line with the new image created by the Giulia and Stelvio.

I think another facelift would be money wasted given the current low sales volume for the Giulietta.

10. T_690

T_690 Active Member

But RWD is expensive. And the main competitor is going to FWD for compact models.

AlfaCuda likes this.
  11. Deckard_Cain

A deep facelift could be marketed as a new model like VW did for the Golf 6.
    A deeply revised interior, changed front and rear headlights, and new engines would basically make it a new model that could last until 2022.

12. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

That’s true. But isn’t the New Alfa Romeo all about lower volumes and limited high spec cars? It seems that way with the Giulia and Stelvio.

Yes BMW is going FWD. So isn’t that perfect for AR to take the place of driver’s choice?

ScramFan likes this.
  13. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

The press will simply kill it VW being VW and Alfa Romeo being Alfa Romeo.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  14. Deckard_Cain

Ideally yes... But since they're delaying the investment in so many models and pushing ahead with another Giulietta facelift there's not much they can do.

Lol, I know what you mean. But the current Giulietta was well regarded.
    If they market this facelift as so extensive that it is basically a new model it could workd. If it worked for VW and Opel...

AlfaCuda likes this.
  15. T_690

T_690 Active Member

But BMW didn't have success with their 1er. Such a car is overweight, claustrophobic and expensive compared to FWD competition.

FCA will need FWD cars in the future. For me the obvious root is for Modena R&D center to modernize Small Wide platform. Both Jeep and Fiat and maybe even some other brands would have use of such a development.

And actually it's Alfa's tradition to offer FWD cars in European compact segment.

Now lets back to concrete products. Like for example compact crossover. Let's call it Alfa Compass. :D Such a car would have base price in Europe of around 30k euros. But already with engines as in Giulia it will match its price. IMO, that's an excellent opportunity to make money in European market.

AlfaCuda and Deckard_Cain like this.
  16. Ingvar

Ingvar Active Member

Autobild is claiming we'll get a new RWD Giulietta and a Giulia SW in 2018.

17. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

@T_690 I agree with your points. However one thing about all iterations of the 1 series was that they were horribly ugly cars. Making them undesirable and making the plain Jane Golf look very attractive.

18. T_690

T_690 Active Member

AutoCrap... They are not good source for information about Italian cars.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  19. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Proportions on RWD hatchback are just wrong. Nobody makes it except BMW with 1er.

20. pumadog

pumadog Active Member

I tell you a secret: I changed my Mito for a 125i convertible since last summer. Wanted a convertible with some flexibility and Alfa doesn't offer one. It's a joy to drive with that engine plus RWD and the proportions of this body type are great! The hatchback not so. May be caused by the roots of the 1er design in the CS1 convertible concept and not a hatchback.

The 1 series is a big success at least here in Germany. And so far it had an USP that has a solid fan base. For Alfa as a rather niche brand the question is: Do we go with a unique car for the RWD fans or a metoo car like the Giulietta in a crowded market.

The five basic laws for a true Alfa (50:50…) can't be reached with a FWD car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#40 pumadog, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    AlfaCuda, Deckard_Cain and ScramFan like this.