Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Alfa romeo Giulia in depth review: Car&Driver

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by romalerig, Dec 17, 2017.

1. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

The 1-cabriolet is a nice car, though. Happy driving!

I think the first 1er hatch was also constrained by it needing to be smaller than the 3-series. As the 3-series is at the small end of its segment, then so must the 1-series be at the small end of its, in order to preserve separation between models.

I could not drive the first 1-series, as I couldn't find a comfortable and safe seating position. The second series was better, and yes the drive is fun, but it also shared the overly-firm ride of the 147 I was looking to replace, so I decided to stay with Alfa Romeo and get a Giulietta

From everything I've seen, Giulietta is being refreshed in 2018, not replaced. A new car in 2018 would certainly help Alfa fill a gap left by postponing its other CUVs and the larger sedan, but Giulietta isn't going to be that car.

I actually feel that Giulietta's replacement will be the Alfa C-CUV that will hopefully arrive in 2021.

pumadog likes this.
  2. T_690

T_690 Active Member

European sales 2017 Q1-Q3 Premium Compact segment - carsalesbase.com (at http://carsalesbase.com/european-sales-2017-q1-q3-premium-compact-segment/ )

They brought down the gap towards A3. But A3 in the past just slaughter the whole segment.

For me Alfasud and 147 were true Alfas. As I said. It's not in the Alfa's DNA to build RWD compact cars.

Still bigger than A4 and C-class. I'm talking about knee room. Only Giulia surpassed it from the European premium competition.

The problem is that 1er is still based on now ancient E90 3er. It was small inside. Of-course that F20 is even smaller.

And now new 3er will switch to new RWD platform. A modular one. It's also shared with 5er and 7er. 5er already does not use CFRP for construction, 7er does. For 3er it seems they went even step further to cheapen it. Most likely there will still be McPherson at the front and not double wishbone as on big brothers. That's some 20 kg less at the front axle together with some 300 euros less spent per each car.

And it will be far more expensive than Giulietta. It will match Giulia's price with the same engines. And that's sure for both possible Giorgio and Small Wide platform use for that car.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  3. pumadog

pumadog Active Member

I hope it's not true. If nothing really new arrives before 2020/2021 customer trust in Alfa's future will fade again and Giulia/Stelvio sales will suffer. What about the Panda production substitute for Pomigliano and the second SUV supposed to start in Mirafiori 2018?

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  4. T_690

T_690 Active Member

I will ask you this. When will FCA unveil new Dodge RWD products? When will FCA unveil all new Grand Cherokee? What Sergio said about platform for these products? Are they on Giorgio?

And now also take into account when is the date for QP and Ghibli replacement.

Let's say they are all on Giorgio. Let's say that we are talking mostly about 2020 and 2021 calendar years.

You got all the clues.

5. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

Hybrids and the ~350CV I4 will keep the existing models in the press until 2020. An early reveal of one of the newer models could help too.

It would have been good to see the "6C" model at least, but I suspect that's paired with Alfieri now, so it must wait too.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  6. T_690

T_690 Active Member

@KrisW

Are you fluent in French?

"DES TRANSFERTS DE TECHNOLOGIE ENTRE LA F1 ET LES ALFA DE ROUTE" (at https://www.revueautomobile.ch/2017/12/20/transferts-de-technologie-entre-f1-alfa-de-route/ )

Même la Giulietta ne pourra pas être abandonnée ; le plan révélera le type d’architecture qu’elle emploiera. Nous devrons aussi marquer notre présence dans les segments supérieurs, comme dans le segment E, avec un modèle plus grand et plus performant. Nous travaillons sur tous ces scénarios. Heureusement, la plateforme Giorgio nous offre de la flexibilité, vers le haut et vers le bas. Une Giulietta avec roues arrière motrices est l’une des options.

AlfaCuda and Morty like this.
  7. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

Non, mais je connais M. DeepL ... ;)

Actually, I should stop to recommend deepl.com as a translation site. The text I pasted above is its verbatim output from the French article text, with no changes made by me (I just highlighted the bit about Giulietta).

If they can make a new RWD Giulietta, then I'm all for it, and may be getting out my calculator and bank statements in a couple of years...

AlfaCuda and T_690 like this.
  8. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

Me too!

9. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

A C-CUV wouldn't represent a replacement of the Giulietta, but the abandonment of one segment in favour of another.

Deckard_Cain and KrisW like this.
  10. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

...that depends on the car. If you didn't tell me the Merc GLA was a crossover, I'd have taken it for a regular hatchback.

By the way, I'm not arguing for this, just saying that there are more signs pointing to it than away from it at the moment. I'd much prefer to see a sub-Giulia hatch, sedan and CUV. We'll know more after FCA briefs its investors in January...

(the wagon/estate is gone though, I think, in favor of the more spacious CUVs)