Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 ARCA engine specifications

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by Fast Eddie, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

ENGINES i. The ARCA/Ilmor 396 as assembled by Ilmor Engineering is approved for use in competition. - 57 - ii.
    The cast iron factory production engine blocks C3, D3, R5 and SB2 are the only blocks allowed. The above engine blocks may only be used within corresponding corporate manufacturer’s line. NO ALUMINUM BLOCKS. iii. Aluminum or cast iron cylinder heads are permitted. iv. Production type intakes only. NO “Ram” intakes. Electrical fuel pumps will not be allowed on carbureted engines. NO overhead cam engines. v. NO injection allowed on carbureted engines, turbo charging or supercharging. vi. Crankshaft harmonic dampers must meet SFI specification 18.1. vii. The maximum compression ratio on any cylinder will be 12.0:1. viii.

For the C3, D3, R5 and SB2 engines, the maximum cubic inch displacement is 360 and the minimum cubic inch displacement is 350. ix.

Glenn81 likes this.
  2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

If I'm reading it right, you get a (approx) 40 ci advantage right off the bat if you run the Ilmor spec motor. Why do they keep referring to carbureted engines? Does the Ilmore use EFI?

3. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Yes it does. It is a Holley EFI system with a throttle body (see picture). They sure are trying to get rid of the carbureted engines by giving them 36 less cubes and using a carburetor. No politics here !!!! Ilmore 396 Throttle body EFI for ARCA.jpg

Beentherebefore likes this.
  4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

They are doing the same in the K&N West series though I don't know if is the same Ilmore motor. From what I've been reading, the Nascar Truck series will be next.

What's the Ilmore based on? "Brand C"?

5. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

First report I saw several months ago is that it's a C, like everything else. NASCAR will try to pass off the Ilmore as a third party design, not a Chevy, but fans know when they are being hoodwinked, and I can't imagine any manufacturer supporting teams that get engines based on a competing brand.

NHRA Pro-stock and the NASCAR truck series are on life support now, and the situation looks terminal for both.

6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I suspected as much. Over 90% of stock car "spec motors" are "Brand C" based. Toyota already said that if they are required to run spec motors in the Nascar truck series, they are out of there. So far, they are winning more than their share so there must still be some advantage to running their own motors. Maybe because they can still work on them internally? For some reason I'm under the impression that in at least some series, the "spec motors" are basically sealed and you can't do much to them.

7. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

If they go to spec motors only I can't see Nascar surviving.

Beentherebefore likes this.
  8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I agree. Others on this board, however, keep insisting that Nascar is now "driver oriented" rather than "brand oriented". That's also what NHRA is presuming with it's new Pro Stock rules. I guess we'll find out in the next 2 or 3 years.