Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Cherokee refresh??

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by CDJSalesPro, May 22, 2017.

1. 12soldier

12soldier Well-Known Member

Since the current model is a nightmare to put a lift kit on, will the next one be capable of accomadating something in the 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 range or is it all the same underneath?

2. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

The refresh won't change that.

12soldier likes this.
  3. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Yes, even if the future-down-the-road replacement for Cherokee switches to RWD I doubt that independent suspension is going away...that's the wrench in the machine as far as adding a decent lift.

4. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Yes, but, in the case of the Cherokee, the suspension is welded to the subframe, making any type of functional lift near impossible and highly expensive.

It was written about in detail soon after the launch, showing the problems.

FCA did not design the Cherokee to be lifted. That is not unusual as automotive engineers do not design their products to be altered by the after-market.

Wrangler is unique in that some of the aftermarket are parts suppliers to the Wrangler. It does not count.

UN4GTBL and Zagnut27 like this.
  5. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Yes...and that's why Cherokee, although very capable for what it is...looks so darn uncomfortable getting over obstacles. It looks like an old man with a bad back trying to negotiate stairs. It'll get up and over, but it's not going to be pretty. :D

6. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Well, that is due to the short-arm, independent suspension that allows for little articulation. Renegade and Compass suffer the same awkward off-road behavior.

12soldier and Zagnut27 like this.
  7. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

There is a bunch of aftermarket kits that do different things to lift a KL...

8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Yup...I meant to say it was a combination of things. Sorry, I'm trying to do too many things at once right now. :D

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  9. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Thank you. That just pushes the suspension down, taking away travel in one direction in favor or travel in the other. Junk for serious off-roading......and degrades your on-road performance as well.

UN4GTBL, Zagnut27 and 12soldier like this.
  10. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Yes. I believe a certain esteemed former poster here would refer to items like that as "trinkets and trash."

suzq044, TripleT, dakota21 and 5 others like this.
  11. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

IMG_2295.JPG

That's about as much lift as you are going to get... if you want a back to basics offroad Jeep... I suggest waiting for the body on frame WS.

suzq044, 12soldier and UN4GTBL like this.
  12. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

IMO they're plenty capable without being lifted. At least if my WK is anything to go by. It was "accidentally offroaded" it into a ditch last night. Only damage was to the wheel-well and tire (rough 2 mos for my Jeep. lol).. drove up and out with no problem. Skid plates did their jobs.

dakota21, Zagnut27, dakrt99 and 2 others like this.
  13. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

There are videos on youtube showing Cherokees doing some pretty good off roading.

suzq044 likes this.
  14. MSwenning

MSwenning Active Member

No offense but I don't think its fair to say a Cherokee is capable off road without a lift because your grand Cherokee did well in a ditch. The Cherokee is very capable, much more than most realize, but you still can't judge it based off the performance of another vehicle that is different in every way. Also curious as to what that ditch looked like?? Haha in north Dakota our ditches are sloped and "tamed" I guess you could say, my lowered 300C can get up and out no problem lol, safe to assume your ditches are a little more "hardcored"?? Lol

15. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

No i merely meant that Jeep builds tough trucks. Hell, even the base 2wd Patriot impressed me; we jumped it once by accident.. scraped the front skid plate, but was otherwise absolutely fine. Not even alignment was messed up.

As far as the Cherokee goes, the only reason people want a lift kit is to fit bigger tires, and maybe for better entry/exit angles; if they even go off-road with them; because some people do it just for appearances. (I'm not saying they all don't. I'm saying that some won't ever see more than a poorly maintained gravel road like some of ours are.) As it's been stated, many prefer the Trailhawk look on the Cherokee line. Giving it even beefier tires would only improve that styling for some people.

Lol, yes. This ditch was a bit worse than that. The ditches here are rarely maintained, so when it rains they only get deeper as the water erodes out the sandy stuff. If we're lucky they gravel it after a storm. It took them 2 weeks after Irma to do so. It was a clay mess; mud-hole style. In this particular ditch, your 300 would've probably lost both bumpers, and maybe a sideskirt. He un-seated a tire & lost the plastic wheel-well. (Which we got back later, since it was 2am -- he works night shift and was on the way in)

#695 suzq044, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    TripleT and Zagnut27 like this.
  16. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

danbek and dakrt99 like this.
  17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

The first video...I'm not sure why in some of these videos they insist on putting that awful music in the background. It's like an ice pick to the brain. The third video does it right, the music fits unobtrusively. But they all demonstrate the capability of Cherokee. Clearly you're not going to attempt something severe with it...leave that to Wrangler, and you can certainly see what it is capable of! A lift for Cherokee, better articulation & wheel travel would be nice though, but unfortunately not possible. But it seems more than capable for what most people will use it for.

18. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The featured article mentions that the steering wheel is different. It looks the same to me. Will the production model get the new steering wheel like what will be in the DT and JL?

UN4GTBL likes this.
  19. hotmach

Level 2 Supporter

Keep waiting to hear, did i miss it somewhere ?
    Whats the word on the new Trailhawk, will it remain with different styling/lower facia ?

20. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

I am amped on what the Trailhawk version of the refreshed KL will look like.

That and the Sport trim of the DS Ram.

@redriderbob ... :D

UN4GTBL likes this.