Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Cherokee refresh??

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by CDJSalesPro, May 22, 2017.

1. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

It also seems to be preproduction, as in fresh off the mold. No fogs/auxiliaries added or anything. Lets hope the approach angle isn't all messed up with the new one.

2. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

Fog lights are there :)

Seems to be at least a similar approach angle.

suzq044 likes this.
  3. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Your missing it - go look at a new JL bumper and then come look at this again (Easter egg time) ;)

4. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

So, you saw that too?

DAGAR likes this.
  5. jtfolden

jtfolden Member

Ugh, not feeling this refresh at all... It seems a lot "softer" and less edgy than the original. Will this really improve sales?

6. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

Genuinely curious now, what am I supposed to be looking for? Other than the "kinked" grille and red hooks, I'm not seeing anything obvious...

[​IMG]
    2019 Jeep Cherokee finally reveals its all-new nose (at https://www.autoblog.com/2017/12/07/2019-jeep-cherokee-reveals-all-new-nose-spy-photos/#slide-7176062 )

[​IMG]
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL: Still steel, still capable after all these years (at https://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/wrangler/2017.html )

7. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

The area where the tow hooks are roughly looks like the bumper on the JL?

DAGAR likes this.
  8. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

That's all I could come with too. But that area is very similar to the existing KL, so I figured that wasn't it.

I'm sure it will be obvious once pointed out.

DarkSky, suzq044 and Zagnut27 like this.
  9. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

The hood "bumps" are making me pretty curious.

Hood bumps louvers.jpg

10. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Yep...

Zagnut27 likes this.
  11. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

Pretty sure that's just padding...

DarkSky and Cody's Car Conundrum like this.
  12. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

Padding would make sense.... why there of all places eludes me though.

Don't know what it is that would make them want to pad the hood (if they didn't make any serious changes then would simple camo suffice?) but it might be interesting to see once the car is unveiled (or it might not be and I could just be making a mountain out of a molehill).

13. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

It had better be phenomenal, but Cherokee's probales go far beyond styling. Cherokee sales tank without heavy incentives. And now it's got to support a whole plant unless/until the long-promised but still non-existent Chrysler version built off this architecture arrives. I expect the Chrysler will sell for less money and at lower volume than Cherokee leaving lots of excess capacity at Belvidere.

somber, GasAxe and Erik Latranyi like this.
  14. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

It’s probably to cover up some new hood lines. I wouldn’t expect a hood scoop or anything, but there’s a pretty good chance the hood has new lines and creases on it.

15. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

Lets wait and see if after this facelift, which will also increase cargo capacity, Cherokee sales will still need those heavy incentives.

16. valiant67

Level III Supporter

How much will cargo capacity increase? Cherokee is currently down about 10 cu ft from Escape. To make that up will likely take a redesign, not a refresh.

17. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

The Escape suffered from a similar lack of cargo area. They addressed the issue with the redesign. Jeep needs to do more than increase volume, but actual usable space.

somber, UN4GTBL and Deckard_Cain like this.
  18. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

I know people will cross shop Cherokee and Escape, but if they need cargo space, they are going to go Escape. The extra cargo room in the Cherokee will be nice for people who are going to buy a Cherokee anyway, that's it. It isn't meant to win customers who have needs that are better met by Escape, CR-V or RAV4. It's menat to capture those who at least dream of offroading. As such it was designed to place off road capability above onroad utility. We really need to get the Chrysler CUV soon. If the Chrysler CUV is done right, it will be the vehicle to win over potential customers of the Escape, CR-V and RAV4. It's not going to emphasize offroad capability, It's going to emphasize onroad style, technology, and utility. Will it be a winning combination? I hope and think it will snd if I'm right about what it will be, then it won't be competing with Cherokee any more than the other CUV's do - different vehicles for different customers.

jorisr, somber and UN4GTBL like this.
  19. valiant67

Level III Supporter

I know quite well because we had a Taurus, Fusion, Escape and Cherokee lined up in a row when my parents bought a car last year. The cars failed dues to narrow trunk openings, the Cherokee due to the sloping window. None of those could carry what the Grand Marquis they were selling could easily hold in its trunk. And Cherokee was the only "modern" offering FCA had for them at the time.

Erik Latranyi, somber and DAGAR like this.
  20. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

I have no idea how much it will increase, but I'm not expecting much to be honest. However, any increase is better than nothing.

somber and UN4GTBL like this.