AF: 2018 Chrysler 300 Changes... | Page 34 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Chrysler 300 Changes...

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Mike V., Jun 8, 2017.

1. somber

somber 370,000 miles

But here, the Chargers hold their value much better. It seems that it's not just that the 300C is a sedan, I think it is because the 300C is more of an "old person's car", whereas the Charger appeals to younger people.

2. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I wonder if more people would be upset if Chrysler was killed off than the ones who are upset that it is being allowed to stagnate?

MoparJoe, wilbur and HotCarNut like this.
  3. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

I don't think a lot of folks realize that this is exactly the method that was predicted for the death of Chrysler....but I do think that there are a LOT of people who care passionately about the brand.

randy1911 likes this.
  4. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

As I have said a hundred times before, FCA US has completely redid the brand's focus.

2009:
    Dodge (Dodge Trucks) - Mainstream Brand
    Jeep - SUV/Off-road Brand
    Chrysler - Blue Collar Luxury Brand

2018:
    Dodge (SRT) - Performance Brand
    Jeep - SUV/CUV & Off-road Brand
    Chrysler - Mainstream Brand
    Fiat - Entry Level Brand
    Alfa Romeo - Luxury Performance Brand
    Maserati - Premium Luxury Brand
    Ram - Truck and Commercial Brand

So here is how FCA US looks at the brands...

upload_2018-3-2_15-23-53.png

upload_2018-3-2_15-24-55.png

upload_2018-3-2_15-25-53.png

upload_2018-3-2_15-27-4.png

5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

In reality, there is little difference between killing off and stagnating a brand other than the timing, see Plymouth, DeSoto, etc.

gforce2002 and randy1911 like this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

To be fair, there are new crossovers coming to Chrysler. I can't really picture what they'll look like though...

randy1911 and HotCarNut like this.
  7. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Me either, and I'm curious to see the comparisons to the existing Jeep lineup in ride, handling, and NVH. Oh yeah.....and in price too. How they price and option the Chrysler variants will be a huge tip off regarding FCA's thought process on the brand.

GasAxe likes this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

I am expecting the Journey replacement pricing to be very similar to the Cherokee.

HotCarNut likes this.
  9. Mopartial

Mopartial Fits and Finishes

Malibu is about to be refreshed--already. Wow. Hasn't been that long since the current Malibu was completely new. That's one thing that can be said about GM. They don't let product age for very long and will move quickly to fix a problem--at least it's been that way for them in recent years.

Ryan likes this.
  10. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

This is the thinking that makes no sense what so ever.
    So let's look at main stream vs entry level, now let's throw in Abarth and the 124 spider. Yup its some legendary minds at work here. Those are some nice entry level vehicles. My point is, why change the mantra to waste resources and run the Chrysler portion into the ground. I believe the 2009 mantra was tons better than what's currently going on with Chrysler in mind. I like what happend with dodge but their was no true reason to change Chrysler even with the Pacifica and journey replacement it would have fit the old mantra perfectly. So just because some genius thought let's take Chrysler in a different direction and try to fix something now it's a much worse picture today. Thanks.

11. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Not all of that was by choice though IMHO. The 200 was delivered in good faith, the 100 was planned. In 2014 I would have never guessed the shift to SUVs to be so strong. The Chrysler CUV should have been here already though. Hopefully soon and hopefully they had some innovative ideas.

When the first LH cars showed up they took everyone by surprise. So did the Magnum concept car (and then 300 producrion car). Time for another miracle...

12. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

I could see that..the Charger is a more sexy car and I'm probably one of those "old people" now being over 40.
    Powerplants aside, the 300 is a better overall sedan IMO due to the roofline and additional rear seat head room. Better equipped too. Can't get a Pano roof in a Charger.

somber, bluskye and MoparJoe like this.
  13. Mopartial

And you know that Maserati and Alfa will sell only in low, niche numbers here. As far as N.A. is concerned, FCA won't be even considered in the running for the near-premium/premium market. It's pure idiocy. Bring back Plymouth if you want mainstream, but making the Chrysler brand FCA's answer to Toyota is plain stupid.

randy1911 likes this.
  14. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Interestingly, I've talked to a couple of people over the last year who thought Chrysler was *already* gone. There are so few new 300s and Pacificas around here that the brand has basically no visibility. I hope they don't think that they can just push out a pair of higher priced crossovers here and think people will suddenly become aware of the brand again. It's going to be practically starting from scratch. It's anything BUT mainstream.

valiant67 and randy1911 like this.
  15. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Ok if Chrysler is the mainstream brand now, what did you think of Plymouth back in 2000?

In the year 2000 as the entry brand, Plymouth had the following lineup...

• Plymouth Voyager/Grand Voyager
    • Plymouth Neon
    • Plymouth Breeze
    • Plymouth Prowler (which was pushed over to Chrysler mid-year in 2001)
    Plymouth as an entry level brand, had four vehicles (one being a limited production roadster). Up until this year, Chrysler as a mainstream brand had three vehicles...

• Chrysler Pacifica/Pacifica Hybrid
    • Chrysler 200
    • Chrysler 300
    It was very rare that the Plymouth brand would hit 200,000 sales throughout the 1990s. Yet, Chrysler sold 124,459 Pacificas alone last year. So think about it. Chrysler is fine right now. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY... THERE IS PRODUCTS COMING. Two crossovers and another MPV are in the works and will be here all within the next two to three model years. So get over it.

Alan Mulally the former of CEO of Ford Motor Company, created the "One Ford" brand approach where instead of having drastically different vehicles in the same segments but in different markets he made it that Ford only had one vehicle. It made sense and saved the company billions. Sergio Marchionne is doing the same thing and allowing multiple different kinds of vehicles without overlapping segments for FCA US. I have complained about why didn't Dodge have a version of the 200 (UF) publicly on here. But then, guess what sales numbers came out and in its first year the 200 (UF) sold roughly the same amount of units as the Avenger and 200 (JS) cars it replaced. A lot of money saved. Then the sedan market dropped drastically and instead of building more plants and running them with one or two shifts, Sergio said less get rid of the cars we aren't making money on and reinvest in the current plants (instead of building more), make them flexible to build multiple kinds of vehicles, and run them all to maximum capacity. Less building maintenance, guarantee a plant's survival, keep current employees working and build more vehicles off of common platforms which saves money, as well as saving logistics cost. It was a risky move, but its paying off.

You know how you know it is paying off... because Ford and GM are cutting sedan refreshes and production! Sergio was the leader at this and his hand he dealt was the winning hand.

wilbur, danbek, wtxiceman and 2 others like this.
  16. CalT&C

CalT&C Member

IMO FCA is wasting development money on the Fiat/Alfa product line and pushing it in the USA where they won’t sell. The sales results prove that.
    How about about a real crossover SUV to replace the Journey. And soon. The Chrysler 300 needs something to keep buyers attention. When the time comes to trade they should find a contemporary 300 on a level of cars sold by the best of the competition, a ten year old platform with minor styling cue changes ain’t gonna bring buyers in the showroom.
    Maybe excess advertising $$$ spent on Charger and Hellcat. People looking for SUVs aren’t interested.

randy1911 likes this.
  17. AlexB

AlexB Active Member

Thanks Bob!
    Pacifica's that beat Odyssey at its own pricing structure, too:cool:.

danbek likes this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

I'd also just like to remind everyone that this thread is about the Chrysler 300.

MoparJoe likes this.
  19. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

I mentioned Chrysler 300 in my post ;)

wilbur, danbek, wtxiceman and 2 others like this.
  20. Mopartial

Exactly. The rollout of the new 200 a few years ago should have taught us a lesson. It went from being expected to bring in higher dollar business to trashed (by our own leader) almost immediately. Yes, Chrysler will need time rebuilding its brand. At my nearest CDJR dealer yesterday or the day before, a new 300 Touring L sold as advertised for $24K. The dealer added another nearly $3,000 to the factory's $6000 discount. It was a steal. Obviously, that cannot continue. So, where do we go from here to correct this--sell lower end cars for a similar $24K or announce higher prices on cars FCA and its dealers have practically given away? It's grand mismanagement of brand identify to the level of absolute incompetence.
    But building brand image takes time--years--but it needs to be done with the Chrysler brand because anything Fiat (yes, that includes Maserati and Alfa) will continue to fail here because Americans are refusing to buy or stop laughing at Turin's products.