Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Dodge Challenger SRT HELLCAT widebody...

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by redriderbob, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Renderings? FCA built Dart hatch's and sold them in China as the Fiat Ottimo

Mike

UN4GTBL likes this.
  2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Tomorrow I’ll render a two-door Dodge Charger, shortened a little, and given, say, a mix of 1970-71 E-body styling ;)

3. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

I used the word "challenge" in my post. 305s will certainly improve it's track performance. How many times do you read a comment like, "If car A had better tires, it would beat or tie car B." I honestly believe it will challenge the ZL1. Being able to put the power down is a fundamental characteristic of good track performance. Coming off a curve and being able to get on the throttle more quickly leads to better times. As usual, time will tell.

4. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

The ZL1 is a very competent car. It had a ton of power, and is (somewhat) lighter than WBHC will be. They will have similar cross section tires, and brakes and shocks will be a wash.

The SRT is certain to have better manners, because: SRT (is anyone going do doubt that?).

The Chally will weigh more, but have power power everywhere, and is very likely to deliver that power more adroitly. Folks I know who have tracked the latest high performance Camaros are impressed. They are good fast cars.

I suspect it will be like I have said before, Camro will be faster at "grip" tracks like Sonoma (the track formerly known as Sears Point, and Lime Rock). I am damned certain that WBHC will dust any Camaro at power tracks like Road America, and Road Atlanta. At tracks like Watkins Glen, and Laguna Seca it's much harder to say; those would more likely be driver dependent.

HotCarNut likes this.
  5. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

I don't know enough about the GT350, but it IS a very good car. I doubt it will have the juice under the hood to compete with Widebody, though. At grip tracks I have heard third/fourth hand that they are phenomenal cars (once the engine Trans cooling issues are dealt with).

I have heard from extremely reliable sources, and have first hand knowledge that the Fords and Chevy's just cannot handle a beat down like Hellcat can. They will be sidelined with overheated calipers (boiled brake fluid), and boiled everything else, long before Hellcat. Hellcat will show cords on the tires, and rivets on the brake pads before it will get too hot.

I have so much respect for the SRT folks, for delivering cars that are so competent, and can take such a beating. Just like what brought me to Mopar all those years ago. ("You'll never win a race from behind the pit wall", some famous stock car racer whom I can't remember.)

GasAxe likes this.
  6. tf34mech

tf34mech Active Member

On The Grand Tour the current Hellcat came within 3 tenths of an Aston Martin's time. I'm thinking the widebody would beat it by at least the same margin.

UN4GTBL and tomaz like this.
  7. oh2o

Level III Supporter

and like the Demon, the HCWB will have electric power steering (but with widebody competition suspension).

8. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Insert Tim Allen 'UnnnUGH?!!'

Muther and MoparJoe like this.
  9. oh2o

Level III Supporter

RUMOR has it that it also might come with a crate...

[​IMG]

10. Countfarussi

Countfarussi Active Member

Mag shocks/dampers ?

11. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Yeah, THAT!

Nothing like having oh2o toss a grenade into the room...

UN4GTBL and dakrt99 like this.
  12. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

OOH DAAAAAH - ling? Doooo go on?

13. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

Hellcat crate, maybe most of the Demons crate? NY is going to be a damn good one, maybe as Good as Ford's 2015 Detroit.

14. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

15. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Wow, the Challenger was so quick off the line, I would swear to you it left early. Or is the Camro just that slow? She definitely caught him sleeping.

16. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

TTO_XODJ likes this.
  17. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

I believe they said papa had some
    Issues with the car

18. MoparGuy413

MoparGuy413 Active Member

What are the odds that FCA brings the widebody Hellcat (non Demon) to New York or waits until say, Woodward Dream Cruise, to drop that bomb?

sickboy likes this.
  19. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

There has been little to no mention of timeline on this car. I wonder if the lack of coverage is because it might be more special than just a wide body kit?

20. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

It's simply because Demon is taking the spotlight right now. When you have a 1,000+ horsepower car coming out compared to a 707 horsepower car well.. all the attention moves on. This is the vehicle you may see at the Woodward Dream Cruise this year making its debut officially.