Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Ford F-150 Spy Shots:

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by redriderbob, Jan 3, 2017.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

2. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I wonder if they will screw it together tighter. I've been (unfortunately) driving an 2010 XLT for the last week and that thing shakes and quakes that playschool interior like an old belt driven motor grinding corn.

ramajama likes this.
  3. DrMark

DrMark Member

To my eye, it looks slightly less heinous than the current model.

rapidtrans likes this.
  4. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Perhaps the start of less is more for all pickup manufacturers.
    The ever larger, ever gaudier front ends need to die a quick death.
    The bling and chrome has simply become comical especially on Toyota, Ford and GM.

rapidtrans likes this.
  5. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Ford Ugly

(see what I did there?)

Deckard_Cain and MPE426HEMI like this.
  6. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I think all the big pickups look "over done" now. Grills and tailgate emblems look way too big. Ran with the original grill is least offensive but far from the cleaner designs of the past. Your opinion may vary :)

7. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

I largely agree. I just took delivery of a new company truck. Silverado 1500. It looks way to over done. I would prefer simpler, cleaner lines.

8. DrMark

DrMark Member

On this here interweb thingy, typically 3 posters yield 6 conflicting opinions. However, I happen to agree with yours on this topic.

9. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

Gotta give it up to them. That truck is a little less ugly now.

10. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

Drove my boss's 2014 Eff one-fiddy for a little obver an hour last week. 2WD, XLT with leather and ecobust, with 29k on the clock. Everything about it was unpleasant. Don't know if there was something wrong with his truck, maybe it's the gearing, but that thing was a dog. Snooped around at the trip meter and both trips were set at 505 miles with a 16.9 average mpg. That's either right at or worse than what I get in my glorious V8. I just don't see the draw of this motor. Anyway,It sounded terrible, was doggish and was very cheap feeling. A very soul sucking drive.

11. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

12. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

13. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Looks like Ford understands the value of fresh product.

ramajama likes this.
  14. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

I agree. Not to mention variety. Think about it....You can walk into a Ford dealership and buy a number of different kinds of F-150s. From mild to wild. Standard to luxury, V6, V8, and soon to be diesel. For the guys who want something above and beyond the standard trucks, they got you easily covered. You can walk in and leave with a high performance truck in the form of Roush and Shelby with blown V8s and don't forget the Raptor....with the negative feedback from Raptor fans on the current ecobust mill, you can bet your sweet azz they will bring a tt 5.0. They will literally have all bases covered.

This refreshed truck is a stepped improvement in the looks department and when you think about all the options of trucks available, Ford has got the very best lineup to choose from. By a mile.

#14 ramajama, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  15. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

Saying all that, Its amazing that the 4th gen 1500 has had such great staying power. Its a testament to its great design inside and out..unlike Ford's design awkwardness. So it makes sense for Ford to "keep it fresh" as they just didnt catch lightning in a bottle like RAM did. No one has done it like RAM has with the 4th gen. To RAM's credit, they've kept it "fresh" with plenty of cosmetic variants and at least a few light performance variants. Epesecially in its last few years. They are really wringing that shammy for all its worth. Its certainly not like they've sat on their hands. But as for an overall offering, for just about any truck guy, gotta admit Ford has it going on.

Im looking forward to the 5th gen RAM 1500. From the leaked images, I think its going to be another stunner but I do think RAM needs to offer more. They HAVE to do the TRX. The sooner, the better. Its just the world we live in now.

GasAxe likes this.
  16. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective
    Level 2 Supporter

Let's not kid ourselves; that's a good looking truck. I worry that the grille design entering the headlights is waaaaaay too close to the leaked images of the new Ram 1500 front ends we've seen. I think having aesthetic refreshes every few years is important to get the "need the newest and bestest" clients back in the door. I literally sold a gentleman a 2016 Laramie Limited, and he traded in his 2015 Laramie Limited, just due to the new RAM front grille. That's it.

ramajama likes this.
  17. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

No, I'm not kidding. It's ugly.;) The cleaned up grill is better but those headlights are still overzealously styled. Ram is still #1 by far but getting aged. I do like the new Chevy trucks as well, but I wonder how it will age.

18. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

Man those are ugly. Just a big box up front with no natural design elements. Everything about that front end is forced.

Ram is currently the only pickup on the market that doesn't have forced design... oh that and the Titan, Ridgeline... but the Ridgeline isn't really in the same class here. (Not saying Titan or Ridgeline look good either, just that they have naturally flowing curves where as the the F-150 and Silverado do not).

ramajama likes this.
  19. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

I was thinking the same thing.

20. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

Ends the eternal speculation of what happens when a square gets it on with a cube. The result is....a Chevy truck. Its square-tastic! Or is it cube-o-licous?

#20 ramajama, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    GasAxe likes this.