NewsDoes the Demon stop faster than the Camaro ZL1? • More Waymo Pacificas; public to test • Is this the new Chrysler crossover?

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Jeep Cherokee better bring it......

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by CDJSalesPro, Mar 9, 2017.

1. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Active Member Level III Supporter

2. CDJSalesPro

[​IMG]

While I think our Cherokee remains competitive. I don't want Jeep to become complacent.....

UN4GTBL and Erik Latranyi like this.
  3. JKU12

JKU12 Active Member

Compass should be the CR-V fighter.

TripleT likes this.
  4. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1 Level 2 Supporter

It's going to be a combination of Compass and Cherokee. I think interior-wise the Cherokee is very competitive. It's functional and stylish without being overwrought. The exterior needs the upcoming refresh. And the uConnect system needs the CarPlay and Android Auto update.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  5. serpens

serpens Member

Forget the exterior. The Cherokee and Compass need I4 powertrains that can hang with the best of them. It's sad we've had to wait so long for the current I4's to get replaced.

6. dakrt99

dakrt99 Active Member

I agree. The all new Compass should have had the new I4s. Oh well, maybe 2019MY. FCA should be in kill mode as far as powertrain development goes. It seems other companies are upgrading every 3 years while FCA allows engines to go twice as long. FCA has to change people's perceptions.

7. AC TC

AC TC Active Member

Problem is that I4 developement runs so fast right now that almost all old truths are gone, its hard to know what will be right..
    - a 2.4 l vibrating 200 hp gas hog, old school- nothing new.
    - a 2 l turbo one 200 hp, still old school and nothing new.
    - a 1.3 turbo supercharger 200 hp smooth as silk with a very wide torque band, new school but will the buyer accept it?
    - same as the last one but 3 cylinders only.....acceptance??

8. gary longo

gary longo Member

Only thing I don't like about the CRV is the shifter placement...I like the center console shifter. Doesn't look right sitting that high. Cherokee dash still looks more upscale, and that is the current model.

Hemidakota likes this.
  9. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

it takes Jeep more than one model to get the sales CRV does. Both Cherokee and Compass would likely get cross shopped.
    And CDJSalePro is right. The CUV market is getting very competitive. Product needs to be up to date and offer good power trains. We are witnessing the end of the "build a CUV and it will sell" phase and are at the point where the appliance makers are going to (and in some ways already have) take over and the profits will drop, just like the sedan market. Car and Driver pointed out this market is saturated and it is getting harder to stand out.

The question is, will FCA defend or concede the CUV market as it gets increasingly competitive? We know what they chose for sedans

somber, JavelinAMX, UN4GTBL and 2 others like this.
  10. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Member

Considering that the 2017 Compass will only have the 2.4 Tigershark I think they'll introduce the new 2.0 GME engines with the 2018 MY. The deep facelift of the Cherokee will probably have those engines as well.
    The 2018 Cherokee will also need some improvements in the interior. Namely more upscale materials in the doors, better insulation and attention to detail.

11. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

IMO, Cherokee came to a point where they need to think about switch to RWD. I would make a lot of differentiation to Compass. Maybe even a possibility for a more powerful engines.

12. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Active Member

I'd take the Jeep all day long.

rapidtrans, James A, UN4GTBL and 2 others like this.
  13. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1 Level 2 Supporter

Power-wise Tigershark does compete. Feature-wise the Tigershark doesn't. All it needs is a broader torque curve. A light pressure turbo should do the trick. Hurricaine is a nice idea, but it's going to be expensive to build. Tigershark is cheap. And frankly I'm not going to trust a new high-feature engine unless it's been around a couple of years already. Just like a Microsoft server OS, R2 always fixes the problems of the original release. :)

This I agree with completely. I assumeonce Giorgio becomes available to them this would happen.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  14. CDJSalesPro

valiant67 likes this.
  15. TripleT

TripleT Active Member

I sorry that front clip is just horrible

zack_falcon, vipergg, somber and 2 others like this.