NewsThis really is the 2018 Wrangler “JL” • Red vs black keys: Real-world Hellcat performance • Windsor loses Transport

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Jeep Cherokee better bring it......

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by CDJSalesPro, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic Level 2 Supporter

Yes, I'm well aware of the definition. :) But it's the difference between denotation vs connotation of a term. And "polarizing" is often used as polite terminology in the marketing world to cover something potentially undesirable about a product...and Cherokee is definitely ugly. Most people that I know who've seen it literally said "eww". But once again, people aren't generally buying Jeeps for their looks...;)

Polarizing can be used for a variety of different reasons, and what I've said is not meant to be a catch-all, but from experience it's how I've seen it used most often.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. Zagnut27

Juke, Aztec, Cube, Element, Cherokee...just to name a few...lol

3. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Active Member

Pardon?!?

44 videos?

For real?

Forty-Four videos

YES :)

4. dakota21

dakota21 Member Supporter

44? Is that a clue???

April 4th reveal? :)

5. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Active Member

^Yeah, that seems a little more like it. But I won't complain about 44 videos

dakota21 likes this.
  6. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru! Supporter

Take a look on Google, put in the search results for Japan city cars... Cube is one of them... you might change your list around lol.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  7. oh2o

oh2o Moderator Level III Supporter

Yes. No.

dakota21, UN4GTBL and Zagnut27 like this.
  8. Zagnut27

That sounds like a definite maybe...not...yet...perhaps. :):D

9. humdrum

humdrum Member

Oh, so now we're playing "I've Got a Secret" ? Well, Gary (Moore - host) is it bigger than a bread box?.... Does it fall between the Ides of March and the summer solstice?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  10. TripleT

TripleT Active Member

"Most people you know is scientific".... maybe you hang out with people with bad taste, maybe you hang out with people who have conservative taste. Cherokee is most definitely not ugly, it doesn't have harsh, or a unorganized look, it doesn't reflex or resemble something unattractive. It simply doesn't appeal to your taste or the image you like as a Jeep.... in truth is very clean and well organized.

Your brand of Ugly is subjective.... Everyone I know thought the last generation of Liberty was Ugly... does that make is so? My wife wouldn't agree to drive a first generation Liberty.... Why? To her is was Ugly.... Do you agree with that? Subjectivity.

It time to quit the Cherokee is ugly stuff, it not the case, it simply didn't appeal to traditional Jeep buyer....... it needs to occur to people that was the point, to expand that sale base which it effectively did.

but but but but ....... you called the Honda Hideous...... YES I DID , the front clip,it has harsh line that is in direct contrast to the rest of the design. It has no organization of the chrome trying to appear artificially tough, it lack a cohesive theme. It is unattractive. Yet again by nature that is subjective. I would be surprised if there are those out there who like it because of it front clip. It is unattractive and also unpolarizing the point I made. Those terms are mutually exclusive. Only when a agrees with your premise does it become a synonym. But by definition polarizing would mean some would and some would not find it attractive with little middle ground. So no it not a term to hide ugly, it a term to define differential appeal.

Be sure of one thing is was not the designers intent the a potential Wrangler buyer would go, "Wow look at that, I think I will get that instead of a Wrangler"

Morty, humdrum, tlc and 5 others like this.
  11. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Active Member

I don't know if I can deal with any more teasing!

First the Demon, now this!

:D

12. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1 Level 2 Supporter

The show is in about a month, relax. I'll be there, mostly so I can check out the Compass and Cherokee without a salesman breathing down my neck. I'll make sure to check out anything else interesting. :)

13. Zagnut27

Ummmm...you don't think Cherokee is ugly, and I get that, and it's ok. It's your opinion. You can justify why you think it's not ugly in any way you want, but it's still your opinion. From what I've seen, from people I know, people on here, in other forums, coworkers, etc...they ALL very much disagree with you. Is that scientific? Probably not unless it's all a true sampling of the population and other factors but it probably does have merit. But to the other extreme, I'm sure there are folks that love it....that's where the polarizing comes into play (opposing opinions...different poles). Heck, I'm sure some folks love how the CRV looks...so that deflates your argument as to it being ugly and not polarizing...it's that whole opinion factor that comes into play.

My point was, if you were paying attention, was that in the marketing world they will use polarizing to deflect from something about a product that may be undesirable to a certain segment of the consumer population...in the case of Cherokee it would be the styling. It's spin-speak, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. And you're using it that way right now to defend your opinion, although you don't seem to realize it. It's a way of deflecting attention away from something that people could get hung up on, and towards other features that they might indeed like. Perhaps I wasn't as clear on that before in my posts as I was running back and forth to the bathroom with our two toddlers who we're in the process of potty training...lol.

But ultimately this is a useless discussion because it all centers around one's opinion, and we all know they're difficult to change...so I'll leave it at that. ;)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Patuko likes this.
  14. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

Keep in mind a lot of people thought the 1994 Ram was ugly when it came out.
    That design was picked over the "Phoenix". Everybody liked the Phoenix, but it stirred no passion. What became the 1994 Ram was a love it or hate it look and both sides had strong opinions.

danbek, DAGAR, GasAxe and 3 others like this.
  15. TripleT

TripleT Active Member

It is my opinion that you are using Polarizing incorrectly. Something that is loved by some and hated by another is polarizing. I know many people who love the Cherokee. That you and your group hate it by definition makes it polarizing. So your point that some use it as a excuse would also being using it as incorrectly. So in my opinion when using it with the Cherokee is wrong because those are those who do love it.

When I find someone that like the neutral and ugly at the same time Honda clip... I admit that is polarizing. Until it comes out and someone actually does I will stick with the OPIONION cuz that's is what we post here that its Hideous

;)

somber and ScramFan like this.