AF: 2018 Pacifica issues | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Pacifica issues

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by Tomguy, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

I took my 2018 Pacifica into Scranton Dodge for a few issues.
    1. The battery was so dead (4.5 volts) the other morning that none of the interior lights even would turn on until it was on the charger for an hour. Another hour before I could even try to start it.
      1. Dealer Charged the battery. "No issues found".
      2. Does anyone know of common issues / causes?
    2. The alternator makes a whining sound frequently
      1. Presumably because the battery was fully charged, it was dead quiet. I don't expect this to last. Is the alt failing or just a symptom of the cause (faulty battery)? Note: I've reported multiple charging system issues with this vehicle before. No concern or issues ever found by the dealer. They charge it and tell me it's fine.
      2. Is it just a "Feature" of the Pacifica that you need to keep it on a battery tender so you don't need to charge it every 2 weeks?
    3. The right rear door rattles
      1. I was told that they heard the rattle but that the door "Lines up properly and there is nothing they can do about it"
      2. What can cause this? I'm tempted to tear the panel off myself, warranty or not.
    Obviously frustrated but any help welcome.

2. LouJC

LouJC Well-Known Member

dead batteries can be just a failing battery, weak alternator (less likely due the relative newness of the vehicle) or a module on the can bus network not going to sleep when you turn the ignition off. If it is a chronic problem you should have all the modules scanned to see if one is not shutting down when it should. It is actually fairly common.

3. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

While this was the first time the battery was 100% dead (after 2 days of sitting, not weeks or anything), I have had frequent low-voltage issues, ex: For the past 1 year when I go to use the vacuum, it begins beeping at me within the first minute or two. The stop-start system often says "Stop start not ready battery charging". Even after, say, a 3 hour trip home that was nearly all highway. I don't think a module not going to sleep would cause issues even while running?

4. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Try another dealer.

5. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Thought crossed my mind, but of the other 2 dealers close enough, 1 I don't trust at all (overfilled my 5.7 Jeep with oil, then couldn't reproduce the blue smoke on startup when all you had to do was... start it up). The other was bought by another group and IDK how many of the experienced techs remain. So yeah, not like I have many options despite this being an area with a half million people.

6. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Failing batteries can be intermittent. A fully charged battery may test OK.

Have a helper sit by the rear door on a test drive to locate the rattle. Push against the trim panel in certain spots to see if the rattle changes or goes away.

KOG likes this.
  7. KOG

KOG KOG

Rattles can be found. But it's a time consuming process which manufacturers have never been willing to pay for. I did some of this for the local Cadillac/Olds/Datsun dealer around 1970-71. GM wouldn't pay the dealer and thus I got paid very little or nothing at times. I found and fixed several problems which had persisted for years in customer cars, problems which the other, older, better paid mechanics in the shop refused to look at. Apparently nothing has changed on the willingness of manufacturers to fix their problems if fixing them costs time which means paying money to dealership mechanics. A related issue is that manufacturers tend to ship cars from plants with known problems because dealership mechanics are paid far less than UAW guys and the mechanics don't have a union backing them when they're stiffed on being paid for the time it takes to actually fix problems. I'm not supporting the UAW by saying this because they do have a long history of creating the problems in question and then refusing to accept responsibility for shoddy work.

Bottom line is that the customer gets stuck with a problem, hates the manufacturer, switches to a different brand and eventually encounters the same lack of responsibility elsewhere. The Japanese and Koreans have gained huge market share over the decades by claiming that they don't have problems like this, which isn't true, but is common perception.

8. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

Wasn’t there an issue with fca stop start (smaller) battery not properly grounded? Thought there was a recall for it too. It killed a wrangler in front of my house Xmas day, and my brother had a service on his Pacifica for it, I believe.

9. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

I had all of my recalls done before this visit.
    As for the issues I've had and the unwillingness of the dealer (or inability) to address these concerns on such an expensive vehicle, it really does make me want to dump it before it does it again.

Maybe I'll look for a Jeep trade in from a third party dealer like Toyota or Subaru.