AF: 2018 renegade..rattling noise | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 renegade..rattling noise

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by NeilG, Sep 5, 2019.

1. NeilG

NeilG New

here we go.
    My new 2018 renegade with 3000 miles...2.4 multiair
    From the start the valve train was noisy, chalked it up to typical 4 cylinder behavior and I’ve since read that they are a little chattery. That’s fine BUT today i noticed it was making a louder noise when taking off from stops. I pulled into my driveway when I got home and left it idle in park while playing with the gas pedal. Idling sounded like it always had.

With a light rev, it made the noise in question briefly on the way up.
    Just barely pressing the pedal and holding it resulted in the noise being constant. Loud, harsh rattling /knocking.
    The sound of excessive clearance and metal on metal. Under load it quiets down, at idle it quiets. There’s that narrow swath of rpms where the radial forces are neutral and whatever it is ( my guess, the cam) is free to chatter about in its excess space.

Multiair uses some sort of hydraulic coupling between the cam and valves or lifters or whatever... so I think that’s the root of the issue.
    I checked the oil and it does seem a bit low. (I’ve read they tend to burn oil)
    Gonna let it sit until I buy a quart of oil for it and go from there.
    If it does not go away I’ll be taking it back to the dealer again.
    Again, I understand these engines are noisy but this noise is NEW and alarming.

2. NeilG

NeilG New

I bought a quart of 0w-20 and put in almost all of it in.
    I can still find that zone where its noisy but it sounds less harsh now.
    It may be that before this morning, when it was loud enough for me to notice on a normal take off, I never noticed or cared to try and zero in on it. So what its doing now might be normal I suppose?
    Ill drive it some later and try to forget about it and see if I notice anything during normal driving. (Got to get some sleep now, 3rd shift is a b****.)
    So it burns oil and is picky about not having enough. Hmmm. I can live with that I suppose. Ive read a lot about how some people have had the "oil light came on, it stalled out a block later, wouldnt start and it was out of oil" thing....and Im wondering how the heck did they make it past the "Im a quart low and now Im gonna make some noise" stage?!?
    I did read elsewhere about someone who had to have the lifters (or whatevers in there) and cam replaced under warranty....ehhh Im gonna drive myself nuts listening to the engine now. :(

3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The 2.4 in my Renegade isn’t an oil burner.
    But the 2.4 in my friend’s Compass burnt enough oil in 2000 miles that it shut down. Towed to dealer. Dealer refilled with oil and gave it back to him with no investigation of oil use.

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Is it supposed to take 0W-20, according to the owner's manual? My 2.4L world engine has VVT and it is required to use 5W-20. Maybe you are using a thinner oil than recommended.

5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

This does specify 0w20.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  6. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

So, perhaps timing chain wear, then?

7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

It should still be under warranty so I'd take it to the dealer.

8. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Why would parts be worn out or the valvetrain failing at 3000 miles? I suspect that something is loose and rattling. Call the dealer for an appointment. Demonstrate the noise for the service advisor/technician.
    Run the original motor oil for the full duration until due. Use a 0W-20 motor oil that meets Chrysler MS-6395 and a Mopar oil filter while under powertrain warranty.
    As for early oil consumption, the engine is still in break-in. True oil consumption issues can't be investigated until engine break-in is deemed complete.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Be prepared for the service adviser to say "they all do that".
    If they say that, ask them to demonstrate on another 2.4 equipped Renegade, Compass, or Cherokee.

Doug D likes this.
  10. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

I can't think of a reason not to use 0w-20 even if 5w-20 is recommended. 0w-20 is only available as a synthetic and has the same high temp performance as 5w-20 while having better low temp performance.

mdh1776 likes this.
  11. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

For at least the last few years, the 2.4 has a specification that is really only had by going synthetic. So my dealer has been using synthetic in them for several years at least.

Could the rattle just be something *attached* to the engine? Maybe a loose cover or exhaust connection that only resonates at a certain engine RPM? I remember years ago that my father had a Nissan Altima that developed a vibration at a very specific RPM. It turned out that on doing an unrelated recall repair the dealer had improperly reattached the exhaust pipe flange where it attached to the engine.

12. Lone Renegade

Lone Renegade Active Member

I think I may know the noise he's talking about. When I push the gas pedal like 75% of the way the engine sounds slightly bogged and has a more pronounced rattle to it. The shift patterns are different vs when you have it floored, engine goes through the rev range and longer shifts which is why I think it sounds bogged. As far as oil consumption I notice it's jist below the minimum mark after 5,000 miles which I've read is considered about normal. I haven't bothered bringing any of this up to my dealer, I treat my Renegade rough with off roading and know the 2.4 multi air is unrefined.