AF: 2018 Renegade: Sound System Unavailable | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Renegade: Sound System Unavailable

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by valiant67, Sep 25, 2019.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

This error has been coming up for the past several months, accompanied by an icon which apparently is a speaker and an !. When the icon is displayed, the right rear speaker doesn't work. Last oil change, the service writer said the error needed to be on when the problem was to be investigated.

This oil change, the service writer was much more accommodating. I had scheduled an oil change and an investigation of the sound system over a week ago (seriously, a week's wait for an oil change?).

I left the Renegade Monday night, with instructions I needed it back Tuesday as it''s being driven to Florida today. Service manager calls and says the audio problem is bent pins in a connector, that they see a good bit of these, and that it's a design that often results in damage during installation on the assembly line. However, while he says it is common there are no parts available in the system, resulting in a few days wait.

So, rather than put it back together (only to take it back apart later) they offer up a rental. Even after I point out the rental will get a lot of miles in the next 5 days. Didn't matter. Cheers to the Jim Shorkey Auto Group.

Rental is a leftover 2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S 2.0T from their fleet, not Enterprise.or whoever they normally use that always gives me a Dodge grand Caravan. (I looked online this dealer still has 6 leftover 2018 JLU's, all 4 cylinders). It's nice, but not $43k nice to me. I do wonder how much they deal on these leftovers.

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The dealer kept the car for a few days while offering the rental.
    Diagnosis:
    There were bent pins in some connectors. They said it's a problem with assembly. Straightening the pins did nothing. Problem wasn't with the RR speaker (the one that didn't work at times).
    End result: new head unit required so they put it all back together and returned the car to me.
    New head unit is now in, so I'll drop the Renegade off nest week for replacement.

3. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

That stinks, is it still under warranty?

4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Yes, thankfully

5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

$1300 (covered by warranty) plus for a new head unit and so far everything is working.
    For what I paid for this thing, by the time they've replaced a missing radio antenna, replaced the jeep emblem on the liftgate, spent a few hours diagnosing the audio system, and now replaced the radio head unit - I don't see how FCA has made any profit on it. And it's only at 13k miles.

6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Well, that didn't last long.
    Picked the Renegade up yesterday evening and this afternoon the audio system error light is back on.

7. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Sounds like shorted RR speaker wiring? It may be pinched somewhere along the routing.

valiant67 likes this.
  8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

They had to inspect the wiring and every connector as part of the first trip.
    Which led to the radio unit testing bad. I guess they’ll have to check every wire and connector again. They said it was common that the connectors are damaged during initial assembly.

9. OfficialMopar

OfficialMopar Official Mopar Reps
    Level 2 Supporter

Hello, I am so sorry to hear about your experience! Are you planning on going back to the dealership soon? I would be happy to escalate a case for you so that a case manager can get involved and ensure everything goes smoothly. Feel free to send us a private message to get started.

Kaitlin
    Mopar Cares

ImperialCrown likes this.
  10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It is going back to the dealer next week. If the problem persists after that, I'll get a case manager involved.

11. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

I am glad to see that (a) FCA is following these threads and (b) are stepping in to help resolve problems. Sometimes that goes a long way toward improved customer service.

12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Updates:
    Monday the whole screen went blank while driving. When it came back up, everything was set to metric.
    The dealer has it again, to try to fix both issues.
    Today's rental car is a 2018 (I think, forgot to look for sure) Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodisel. i thought it odd when the service writer asked if I was OK with a diesel rental car. It's nice (as was the 2014 I had).

13. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Hopefully they get it fixed for good this time. Got my fingers crossed for you.

14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The service writer said they've been dealing with electronic issues in the Renegades quite often. But was optimistic they'd straighten this out.

Also said someone made the decision to put this Grand Cherokee into loaner service before realizing it was a diesel because they'd never knowing use one as a service loaner. It's nice, 2018 Summit with 2000 miles.

15. valiant67

valiant67 ...

They had it from Wednesday to Monday.
    I think it was wiring that was replaced this time. I need to look over the work order, but I was rushed when picking it up.
    So far (a 3 mile drive) it is working as designed.

Doug D likes this.
  16. valiant67

valiant67 ...

All wiring was traced, some replaced (maybe just the connector) and all modules reflashed with latest updates.
    So far, it is behaving.

The radio in the Ram isn't well now, but I'm not sure if it's the radio or the latest Apple update.As soon as Waze speaks in the truck, all other radio sounds are gone until the phone is disconnected.

Edit: Looks like the Ram problem is common enough to get several posts on the web, but no one has a real fix. It's been too random. The first time it quit, I was in Georgia and drove for 3 hours with no sound from the radio and nothing would bring it back.

Yesterday it failed twice, but only after using Waze and disconnecting the phone brought it back.

#16 valiant67, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  17. link3721

It's a sign, just use Google maps. It's got most of the Waze stuff now anyway ;)

18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

So exactly a month after buying new tires for the Renegade, it had another flat. No idea what I hit. At least the tire warranty covers it.

I'm beginning to think this little Jeep is cursed.

19. link3721

Bummer. When I had one as a loaner a while back, I enjoyed it. They seem like good cars, a shame yours has been trouble.

20. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I tried Google maps a few times. Yesterday, same problem with Google maps. As soon as the Google voice spoke, the radio went silent and the volume know made no difference (it just stayed on the last volume setting not matter what).
    So it's not Waze. it's either Apple or the truck radio. it's happening more often now. I guess I'll bring the issue up at the next oil change but I'll probably get the same response I did for the Renegade ("You need to bring it in while it is malfunctioning.") After being told that twice, I had to push back (why did it take extra effort on my part?) to get them to address the issue.