Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Cadillacs: CT6 Drops Entry-level Engine, and Is the ATS Going Coupe-only?

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by T_690, Dec 17, 2017.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Cadillac ATS To Drop Sedan, Go Coupe Only For 2019 Model Year

[​IMG]

As reported by Cadillac Society, new VIN documents show the Cadillac ATS being available exclusively in coupe form, with the sedan not being mentioned whatsoever. Aside from the discontinuation of the ATS sedan, the document did not show any powertrain changes, meaning that the 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe will continue being available with its three existing engines:

• 2.0L Turbo I4 LTG making 272 hp (203 kW) @ 5500 rpm and 295 lb-ft of torque (400 Nm) @ 3000 rpm
    • 3.6L V6 LGX making 335 hp (250 kW) @ 6800 rpm and 285 lb-ft of torque (386 N-m) @ 5300 rpm
    • 3.6L Twin-Turbo V6 LF4 making 464 hp (343.3 kW) @ 5850 rpm and 445 lb-ft of torque (603.3 N-m) @ 3500 rpm
    We should note that automakers can submit changes to these documents until 60 days before beginning to produce the vehicles, so any of these details can still be changed. It does, however, provide us more insight into Cadillac’s future passenger car strategy.

Earlier this year, Cadillac president Johan de Nysschen stated that Cadillac will “rebalance its sedan portfolio” by replacing the ATS, CTS and XTS with two vehicles. The first of these will be the 2019 Cadillac CT5 sedan that will be targeted at buyers looking for vehicles “in the $35,000 to $45,000 range” while a second model will slot below it. We have since discovered that both vehicles will ride on GM’s Alpha II architecture that succeeds the commended first-generation Alpha platform, and both will be produced at the GM Lansing Grand River plant.

Keeping all that in mind, the discontinuation of the ATS sedan for the 2019 model year makes sense given that the CT5 will be priced in the same general price range. The 2018 ATS Sedan starts at $34,595. Meanwhile, a smaller sedan will arrive roughly a year later to slot under the CT5.

Future Cadillac Lineup
    Based on what we know so far, Cadillac will introduce a refreshed CT6 as the 2019 Cadillac CT6 as well as the compact Cadillac XT4 crossover in calendar year 2018. The Cadillac CT5 and its smaller brother (its name has yet to be announced, but will likely be CT3 or CT4) – will arrive in the 2019-2020 time frame and complete Cadillac’s sedan offerings. A larger three-row crossover to slot above the midsize Cadillac XT5 is possible. The future Escalade will arrive with fresh duds sometime around 2020.

Cadillac ATS To Drop Sedan, Go Coupe Only For 2019 Model Year (at http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/12/cadillac-ats-to-go-coupe-only-and-discontinue-sedan-for-2019-model-year/ )

2. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Ugghhhh I hate letter numerical names. The letters for Cadillac's brand used to mean something...

CTS - Catera Touring Sedan
    STS - Seville Touring Sedan
    DTS - Deville Touring Sedan
    ETC - Eldorado Touring Coupe
    XTS - X-Series Touring Sedan
    ATS - Alpha Touring Sedan

"According to some the CTS was originally an abbreviation of the “Catera Touring Sedan” when the CTS replaced that model in 2001. In certain quarters there is minor dissent with that theory and some insist the “C” in CTS never really meant anything. The most common line of thinking is that the first letter of the Cadillac model name stands for the series the car belongs to and that the CTS means the C-series.

Some car bloggers think the “A” in ATS could mean “American” but since the vehicle is based on GM’s Alpha platform is it more likely the “A” stands for “Alpha”. Or it could be as simple as the designating the A-series.

For most car models the letter “X” symbolizes “Crossover” – so the XTS would mean “Crossover Touring Sedan” (and the “RX” for the Cadillac SRX SUV, stands for “reconfigurable crossover”). But legend has it that as Cadillac was developing the XTSmodel the “X” didn’t designate “crossover” but was just a placeholder for a name to be determined later. Bob Lutz, former Vice Chairman at GM liked the XTS name so much that it stuck and a car model name was born.

For the all-new 2014 Cadillac ELR coupe, the exciting extended range EV that arrives at dealerships this fall, the name derives from the fact the car is an electric luxury roadster.

Even the popular Escalade model is being simplified gradually with a three letter addition on its name: the EXV for the crossover version and the ESV for performance"

The Name Game: Decoding the meaning of Cadillac model names (at https://pepecadillac.wordpress.com/2013/05/08/the-name-game-decoding-the-meaning-of-cadillac-model-names/ )

#3 redriderbob, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  3. ehaase

ehaase Active Member

Cadillac car sales are so bad that if it were up to me, I would drop the ATS, CTS, and XTS and rename the CT6 Deville and make the 6.2L V8 standard in the Deville. I have no confidence that the CT4 and CT5 will succeed.

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Meanwhile Lincoln is dropping the MK nonsense.

All that said... Cadillac sales have to be measured by the competition. I'm prepping a piece on Levante and it looked like a dismal flop until I saw that the big “luxury” sellers were all selling $45,000-$60,0000 (True Car average real transaction prices) and Maserati’s up there over $70,000. That makes a big difference!

That said, I never look at Cadillac because of the freakin’ names.

5. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

What has happened to their plans for a large rwd sedan? Have they decided not to make it now, if so, a mistake for Caddy, their biggest market, they are walking away from a segment they used to own, even if it's a smaller segment today. And I do like the ATS sedan, it was of a size and shape I wish Chrysler would build.

6. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

the 1st thing Caddy needs to do is use Heritage names... Just bring back the Deville and Seville, CTS and CT6 would almost sell double because of that alone..

Stéphane Dumas and ScramFan like this.
  7. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

Don't forget Fleetwood and Eldorado.

ehaase likes this.
  8. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

Hell, I wouldn’t mind a CTS Fleetwood at least...

9. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Or CFN.... cluster f$%^ of names.

10. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Johan de Nysschen really screwed up Infiniti's naming structure too. I can never remember what their names are anymore, the FX and JX are just QX-whatever now, no distinction. I think it's his hobby to bounce between as many brands as possible and make their names confusing.

11. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Yeah I know... I think the latest few years of Cadillac concepts have had great names...

cadillac-concept-vehicles-masthead-640x360.jpg
    ESCALA CONCEPT

cadillac-concept-vehicles-elmiraj-640x360.jpg
    ELMIRAJ CONCEPT

cadillac-concept-vehicles-ciel-640x360.jpg

CIEL CONCEPT

jimboy and DarkSky like this.
  12. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

And Cadillac should be building all of those cars RIGHT NOW, they'd be making gobs of money instead of piddling around with tarted up chevy's and buicks.

13. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

I gotta do the name thing too!
    ATS? oh that’s the Catara equivalent.
    CTS is the Seville
    DTS is the old Deville.
    The real names have soul.