Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Cherokee Production

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Mike V., Oct 11, 2017.

1. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

lol - look at that approach angle!

Zagnut27, wtxiceman, GasAxe and 2 others like this.
  2. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

No, they don't want trailhawk just the regular trim levels will do. They just want a piece of Jeep. lol -- and as usual, seem to be trying too hard. I don't think that front end could get any busier. "O look, it has tow hooks!" (that will likely pull the bumper off, if used. lol)

Zagnut27, tomit and DAGAR like this.
  3. serpens

serpens Active Member

Doesn't matter if it looks like they're trying too hard, it pulls in customers. It's a concept anyways. It's not like Toyota lacks off road know-how, they could do something serious if they wanted to.

suzq044 likes this.
  4. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Sorry, folks, you can't sit here and say "don't criticize the Cherokee because 95% of people never use it off-road" and then say the Toyota is crap because it cannot be used off-road.

You can't have it both ways.

Yes, the Toyota has a horrible approach angle, but it has the "off-road" look, tow hooks, tires, etc.

Fiat does this same type of mostly an appearance package on many of its vehicles to make them look more "rugged".....the Adventure trims.

If people are buying the look of off-road and not expecting the capability, then this Toyota is a contender.

Zagnut27, wvutuba, suzq044 and 4 others like this.
  5. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

I think you read a bit too much into my approach angle comment... I've never said don't criticize the Cherokee (it has compromises) nor did I say the Toyota was crap. All I said/did was have a chuckle at the approach angle. Just setting the record straight as you seemed to reference my approach angle post.

suzq044 likes this.
  6. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Yours and Suz. I totally agree with you both that it is crap for offroad and hideous in styling. But that is not the point. When Jeeps are nothing more than looks, expect everyone else to come out with rugged looks.

suzq044 likes this.
  7. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

I agree that would be a real problem - so far I don't think we are there yet on Jeeps, but I do agree that capability slippage must be contained or we will end up where you suggest. I am encouraged by JL. So far everything seems better, nicer space, better efficiency AND more capable (all to be proven, of course). As long as this spirit continues to be applied across the line-up and isn't used as an excuse to say we can lose capability in the rest because Wrangler is better than ever, Jeep will be in good shape.

suzq044, GasAxe and UN4GTBL like this.
  8. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Do we really need to get into the "dilution of the Jeep brand" argument yet again? That the Cherokee is a Jeep only in terms of styling is one of the more laughable arguments I've heard considering it looks nothing like a Jeep in the traditional sense. Jeep has proven they can provide capability in Trailhawk form (though the Compass still needs to be proven IMO).

Either way, if purists had their way and Jeep only offered vehicles like the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee instead of vehicles focused on efficiency and comfort while also providing capability through a Trailhawk variant... there would be no Jeep brand left. Be glad they exist because without them the Wrangler wouldn't.

As for that Toyota, it looks like it shares styling with the Mitusubishi Eclipse Cross in the rear and the Honda CR-V in the front. In other words, hideous.

9. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

Speaking of ugly Toyotas...

Don't forget the Rav4 Adventure, complete with black hood decal.

gforce2002, wtxiceman and DarkSky like this.
  10. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Yep, seems they definitely want a piece of the if l off road cake, maybe they'll bring back the Alltrac name for their off road looking/performing variants with awd?

11. hmk123

Level III Supporter

This might be a stupid question but if production for the 2019 starts in early January why isn't it being shown at LA? :) Never mind, should have read earlier posts. Interesting that production starts same time as reveal...

12. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

Don' tell them, let them figure it out the hard way. LOL

tomit likes this.
  13. hotmach

Level 2 Supporter

I made fun of Toyota for a long time, styling or lack of.
    I personally don't think their corporate design is offensive. I agree it works better on some vehicles than others. Styling is personal.
    IMO a Toyota pile on is not justified. FCA should be imitating Toyota in very many ways.

serpens likes this.
  14. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Well it definitely doesn’t work on any of the Prius variants. Or the C-HR and Mirai.

FCA should imitate Toyota’s quality measures and full lineup, but that’s it. Toyota mostly have no personality.

UN4GTBL and edgecrusher like this.
  15. hotmach

Level 2 Supporter

Prius or many of the pre Tesla green cars were hard to look at. So much so its like the companies couldn't afford to sell many.

I like the C-HR, the Mirai IMO is just wrong. New Highlander and 4runner for me is their styling high points.

16. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Toyota FT-AC concept it looks like a bit like 2012 Dacia/Renault D'Cross concept, that than become Dacia / Renault Duster.
    [​IMG]

And last production version
    [​IMG]

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  17. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Just shows how subjective styling is because I don’t like the Highlander at all, very plain looking. The 4-Runner is okay. The new Camry is probably my favorite Toyota design.

18. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

Reveal on Jan 2nd?

19. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

You've seen the new Camry design right?! :p Personally I don't care for the Camry's new "bold design" (my reaction is "bold my a..."), but as you said it's subjective. :)

suzq044 and UN4GTBL like this.
  20. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Yes I like it. Polarizing like the Cherokee though.