Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Cherokee Production

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Mike V., Oct 11, 2017.

1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Every time you post about the Wrangler, I feel you really don’t understand what people here mean by “off roading.” It doesn’t just mean rock climbing. It involves a set of attributes of a vehicle that allow it to traverse a variety of terrain conditions, Yes, climbing rocks can be a part of that, but also mud, snow, sand, ice, deep ruts in the road, gravel, water, etc. Name me one place in the world where those attributes would not be needed or desirable. I’ve been to a lot of places in this world...and always I’ve seen 4x4 vehicles of a variety of makes & models including various Jeeps. Jeeps may be less common, but that most likely has more to do with availabllity of parts and the vehicles themselves...and that affects pricing as well which can limit demand. It’s got nothing to do with the vehicles themselves.

“...long before there was any such thing as a Wrangler as lifestyle cum offroading icon, or a high priced 'sport' 'utility' vehicle, or 'off roading' as a 'sport'.”

What exactly do you mean by this? The Willys and Ford GPW were the first Jeeps, and the CJ’s were the first civilian Jeeps, and their direct relative is Wrangler. There is a direct lineage there. They have always been known for their ruggedness and their off road ability as I mentioned above. If people around the world know anything of Jeep, it’s the capabilities of these Jeeps that the legends are built upon.

Erik Latranyi and suzq044 like this.
  2. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

That certainly does appear to increase wheel travel quite a bit. I’d be curious to hear from the more knowledgeable members here (than me) if this is truly a viable solution?

3. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

I'd go look on the Renegade forums to see about the longevity and other effects from using these kits, if it was me.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  4. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

Beautiful example.

Here's something to tickle your brain a bit - had Alfa continued to also build a vehicle that was true to their heritage, through-and-through, alongside the FWD POSs, do you think it would have survived?

I think you know what I'm suggesting.

GasAxe, Zagnut27 and Erik Latranyi like this.
  5. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

They are still selling Darts and 200s new. That tells me that they could have eliminated the discounts and revamped Belvidere to build all three.......Dart, 200 and Cherokee.

Sell Dart and 200 for modest discounts only, limiting production to 20,000 to 25,000 units per year. Cherokee does not need that much capacity anyway.

Then, you are staying in the compact and midsize market.

Oh, before everyone says that the Dart and 200 would have required investment, that is not true. Dart had all the investment made to improve the suspension, offer AWD and the SRT version. The money was spent already. 200 did not need any investment yet.

But Marchionne did not just discontinue the products, he denigrated the products and everyone who bought one.

valiant67 likes this.
  6. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

I was actually questioning whether only having Wrangler as a "true to heritage" product with FWDs alongside works, and if this same strategy would have worked for Alfa?

Zagnut27 likes this.
  7. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

It takes one to carry the torch. If at least one vehicle stays true to your core brand principles, even if the rest of your lineup is somewhat diluted, then at least you have your standard bearer. It maintains your identity, something to keep focus...something for the rest of your lineup to be measured against so they maintain at least a certain level of performance by comparison. So yes, I believe the strategy can work...but it can be a tight road to drive...stray but too far to either side and...it’s a long way down.

GasAxe and suzq044 like this.
  8. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

To bring this particular thread back on track:

Where is the facelift supposed to debut? Detroit or later?

9. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

That capacity at Belvidere is for the 3 row Chrysler CUV... wish they'd get on with already! If it takes off, there would not be capacity at Belvidere for Dart and 200.

GasAxe, serpens, danbek and 2 others like this.