Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Durango AHB Preview

Discussion in 'Police, Taxis, Ambulances, etc' started by AHBGuru, Nov 6, 2017.

1. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Chrysler Fleet is planning to release a Pursuit-Rated Durango AHB next year:

"Dodge Considers Pursuit Durango
    Fiat Chrysler's Dodge unit brought a Dodge Durango, which could be offered as a 2019-MY pursuit vehicle if all goes according to plan. Dodge representatives attending the Michigan testing declined to provide full details about how the vehicle is different from the 2017 Durango Special Service. Both vehicles are powered by a 5.7-liter V-8 engine that delivers power via an eight-speed transmission to a rear-wheel or available all-wheel drive system. Dodge will release more details later this year."
    "It's a rear-wheel-drive vehicle with an all-wheel drive option," said David Callery, FCA's program manager for police and emergency response vehicles. "To get through the tests, the vehicle has to hold up to the rigors of daily patrol. We believe it's equal or superior to the other vehicles out there."
    "The Durango V-8 with AWD reached a top speed of 120 mph, zero to 60 mph in 7.1 seconds, and zero to 100 mph in 17 seconds. It was sixth in zero to 60 mph and sixth in zero to 100 mph. In brake testing, the Durango needed 133.94 inches (11.1 feet) to stop, which was fifth.
    In the dynamics testing, the Durango averaged 1 minute, 42 seconds (1:42.10) over the four laps, which was 11 out of 14"

For the record, the current Durango SSV with V6/AWD bids out for about $26,500, and the Hemi adds about $1750 to that. This is very close to the Exploder, and about $10,000 less than what the Tahoe and F-150 Responder sell for on low-bid LEV contracts. Changes necessary to bring the Durango up to full AHB and Pursuit-Rated status could add another $500 or so to the final price (using the SWAG method of calculation).

I would expect the Durango to absorb some Charger sales, in addition to killing off the Taurus/Exploder junkers, but agencies on a super-tight budget will likely stick with the Big Bad Dodge. They continue to invest in the cars, and the new LF is expected to continue the process, though the 8HP95 used in the Hellcats will finally replace the tough A580 currently used.

Source for quotes - GFM

2. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

At first I thought 'oh jeez'; then I realized a 2019 MY vehicle can be released in in three months from now. Dodge did that with the 2000 or 2001 model Ram pickup to get around CAFE rules; something about the '01 being released in January 2000.

3. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

It'll be a regular '19, not way early like the Neon and 300/Magnum were. They want to make sure it outperforms the Fords and Tahoe, but I don't see any problems there. The V6 uses a goofy start-stop system that needs some tweaks, or perhaps they'll just eliminate it. Really, if it's priced right, and it holds up - they'll sell all kinds of 'em.

4. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective
    Level 2 Supporter

We had FCA drop off a Pursuit Durango at our dealership for pickup to go back to Ontario last month. The rep had said they were going from department to department try to sell it.

5. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

It's entirely possible they have a version ready in Canada. With the extra ground clearance the Durango has vs the AWD Charger, it should draw plenty of interest there. My educated guess is that final bid price (if not politics) and durability will determine how many of what gets ordered. The Durango is far superior to the Tahoe and F-150 in price, and equal/better in all other areas. It's very competitive in price with the Exploder, and is definitely the better overall vehicle in that match-up.

What about Durango vs Charger?

I'm pretty sure the intention is for the Durango to add a viable alternative to the lineup, not for one to compete with and/or replace the other. Each has it's strengths and areas that need further improvements. The AWD Charger is too heavy, has insufficient ground clearance, and is only rated at 23 mog highway. The weight issue will be addressed with the new LF cars. The mpg should improve with the 8HP95 transmission, which will turn the cars into Holy Terrors, too. Ground clearance is an easy fix.
    Ideally, agencies currently using the Charger and Tahoe, or Charger/Exploder, could soon run all Dodge, with Charger and Durango. This is already happening in some areas, as departments recognize the flimsy nature of the Fords, and the overpriced, unefficient Tahoe. Right now, they can see Dodge over there with an AWD V6 Durango SSV that gets nearly 25 mpg, and doesn't cost more than the Exploder. Pretty easy to choose, when the choices are made that clear.