Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Mustang GT500: Forum offers clues about engine, brakes...

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by redriderbob, Dec 11, 2017.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

[​IMG]

Seems like there's an intriguing leak per day over at the Mustang6G forum, which on Monday had posted a photo that seemed to pretty much cinch the existence of a 2018 Bullitt Mustang. Now, the forum has posted what it says are Ford documents and pictures that seem to confirm a supercharged 5.2-liter engine is headed for the 2019 GT500 — no mere Coyote, but the one they call the "Predator."

Forum member Super Werty posted the first images of this engine, showing the supercharger nestled below the intercooler of the intake manifold.

A document titled "2020 MY North America Vehicle Program – Engine Oil Requirements" has a footnote that indicates the next GT500 engine gets the Eaton-supercharged cross plane version of Ford's 5.2L engine. We know this because the chart says it will require 5W50 oil.

An image posted in the thread by Mustang6G member dwalker might show the GT500's brakes, which the forum has previously reported will be massive true two-piece rotors that are larger than those on the GT350. Spy photos have shown 20-inch wheels and massive tires (315s at the rear).

The GT500 could have output in Dodge Demon territory, with potentially over 800 horsepower, and may have a dual clutch transmission derived from the Ford GT's seven-speed.

2019 Mustang GT500: Forum offers clues about engine, brakes (at https://www.autoblog.com/2017/12/11/2019-mustang-gt500-forum-offers-clues-about-engine-brakes/?hcid=ab-around-ab-tile-1 )

2. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

If it has output near demon does that mean dodge will be updating there hellcat before the new cars comes out then an even bigger bump once those are out?

3. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

NO it will just mean there will be more Mustangs plowing into crowds

wtxiceman, GasAxe and Mastertech63 like this.
  4. mopar22

This one would be too expensive for th average customer so you wouldn’t see that

5. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

HELLCAT get minor power boost for Drag Pack package for 2019.... and I don't mean the NHRA Mopar factory car either.

wtxiceman likes this.
  6. mopar22

Will in be enough to over shadow this or will the next cars/hellcat engine generation be more inline to compete with this engine/car?

7. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

6.2L HELLCAT is here to stay for long while. Don't expect 100 more horsepower if that's what your saying.

8. mopar22

Just any amount of power to compete with the next ford/chevy highend engines

9. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Up until the LT5 ZR1 engine, no one broke 700 horsepower but Dodge... remember Demon is still the top dog.

Alonzo Del Real likes this.
  10. mopar22

It might be the top dog but people are going to forget/not care if another car comes out with similar numbers and mass produced unlike the demons

11. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

If you say so...

Alonzo Del Real likes this.
  12. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

The Chevies and Ford’s don’t have enough beef in their castings to reliably get Demon power. They will for sure have to update their castings to get there. Just like Dodge had to do with Hellcat and Demon and Hellcat Power.

Either that, or put up with heat soak, and blown engines.

I suspect the new Vette engine and the upcoming GT500 blocks are new castings.

13. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

What surprises me is that Ford decided to use a high revving with Flat plane and add a supercharger.
    The old GT500 5.8L was prone to heat.

I don't follow Stang that much except for laugh, but aren't the ones hitting the crowd come with the solid rear suspension?

14. Zachary

Zachary Active Member

As far as the Corvette ZR1, it is the same casting/engine as the "normal" 6.2L Vortec used in everything from full-size trucks to the Camaro SS/ZR1/1LE to the SS to the Corvette.

15. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

The consensus is Ford is going to utilize a standard cross plane crank in the new GT500, not the flat plane. The Coyote motor was also prone to high oil temps, especially under high RPM use for extended periods, so I'm guessing a considerable amount of engineering will go into addressing this issue. Many Ford fans were surprised/disappointed that Ford didn't go with a turbo on the motor, especially in light of the whole "EcoBoost" theme. Maybe some here can shed some light on why manufactures are so resistant to adopting turbos at this level.

Regarding the SRA cars, all 1979-2004 Mustangs used a 4 link setup affectionately called the Quadrabind. As you might deduce, it was horrible setup only made worse by most poorly engineered aftermarket components and high horsepower levels. From 2005-2014 the SRA was retained but Ford moved to a 3-link setup which removed most of the bind issues and along with the PHB finally gave the car a semi-competent rear suspension. Unfortunately if the 3-link cars are lowered any significant amount (and most kids do) then the LCA's are no longer parallel to the ground, and you wind up with unfavorable instant-center and anti-squat geometry. Or, in other words, you loose a good deal of traction and overall handling suffers as well. So add more power on an already nose-heavy car, along with an unskilled driver, and you get the expected results.

All that said, I've rented a Skat Pack Challenger several times with the crappy 245 series all season tires. I've never driven anything else quite so willing to hang it's tail out at the slightest provocation of throttle. I will say it's very progressive and well controlled, which makes it an awesome hooligan mobile :) Also very appreciative that some rental companies apparently still don't monitor there customers driving habits.

GasAxe likes this.
  16. Mopar392

I know what you mean.

17. scatpack_69

scatpack_69 Active Member

Stupidity follows Mustangs in general, be they base V8 or high end.

Uh.....no. It's ok to be wrong, and you're making a killing at it here...

Demon will NEVER be forgotten. Period.

18. mopar22

Stupidity follows any v8 make but it can only follow up to a certain price range till that group gets way smaller, about 40-50k is when that starts dwindling.
    When a car with similar numbers comes out in the same price range it will be forgotten. It happens with every brand and make in any price category. It’s okay that’s you're wrong about that, I’ll forgive you for trying

19. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

I've already replaced mine with some 275/40. Much better

20. Mopar392

I do plan to replace the stock wheels and tires with wider ones. But right now I'm really on a tight budget..