Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Ram 1500

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, commercial trucks' started by VernDiesel, Aug 7, 2017.

1. VernDiesel

VernDiesel Member

I ordered my 14 Ecodiesel the day they opened up orders for the second time. Months later I got an opportunity to transport Airstream travel trailers and others from the Mfgs to dealerships. Having lemons I made lemonade. Still driving but as an owner operator and no longer confined to the big truck big truck routes & truck stop food. 341,000 miles later I still love the truck transmission & lil engine that could.

Naturally taking TTs across the country over the western grades & being a moderator over at the ED forum I can tell you what I & many other owners want to see in the next gen 1500 especially the ED.

1. A better cooling system for the ED. I realize the motor designers chose an electrical fan for fuel-efficiency over a crank driven fan. That said there is dramatic room for improvement over the current design with a radiator that is forced to breathe heat rejection air from behind the CAC and an undersized for towing radiator. Perhaps something similar to what Ford does with the EB.

Many choose this truck as a daily driver that doubles to tow their travel trailer toy hauler or boat on the weekends & summer vacation. Staying inside Ram tow ratings many still overload the cooling system when towing a grade & experience engine derating. This loses owners to competitors & makes for the bad mouthing across the Internet forums of our trucks. It's our single biggest forum complaint.

2. The uber soft rear suspension & dismal payload rating. Often lowest of the class. Even with a WDH & staying within tow ratings & GVWR the weight on the tongue leaves the butt dragging & the headlights in the eyes of oncoming traffic. Ram is bleeding sales to its competitors for this / payload ratings IMO more than anything else. A lil stiffer variable spring & or offering a rear only air assist should be a smart investment for Ram. Keep the wonderful optional air ride, keep & promote the 5,000 pound WDH recommendation, keep the axle ratings just provide a way to get better payload numbers. The current 6,950 gvwr should be the minimum 7,100 puts Ram on par with competition.

3. The trailer brake controller works well. That said coming down a mountain grade and having to take a hand off the wheel and eyes off the road to use it does not. Right when you really want both eyes & hands on the wheel what should be an additional safety becomes a hazard that could cost someone there life.

Ram should ground break & promote some innovation here. Research & consider a relatively simple low cost solution. Put the slide lever to pull toward you on the back of the steering wheel right behind the radio control buttons. Its intuitive and allows the driver to keep his eyes on the road & hands on the wheel. Picture the short promotional ad scene one with father & family in competitors truck stressed at a crucial moment in a decent with trailer pushing searching for the brake controller. Scene two in a Ram no stress you see the same scenario played out as smiling father eyes on the road hands on the wheel pulls the lever towards him.

Anyway thanks for building a great truck. VernDiesel.

djsamuel and somber like this.
  2. VernDiesel

VernDiesel Member

Oh and a simple low cost software driven turbo brake should be a standard feature. Even the lil diesel Colorado has this. It's also a very popular item with those investing in a tune to improve their trucks. Rear air bags is the other very common upgrade. These are non cosmetic upgrades that people invest their money on which shows Ram what is needed.

somber and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  3. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

Have you had any problems with the truck?
    You are the 1st high mileage ecodiesel I've seen

4. VernDiesel

VernDiesel Member

Nothing major. Lift pump, glow plugs. All ED owners have coolant that disappears. There was another guy transporting TTs with his ED had 214,000 when health problems took his license away. My son worked for a heavy haul oversized load pilot car division & turned 200,000 on his before he moved on in fact they had 12 EDs all with over a 100k and crazy run time hours because they idled a lot. But they all had EGR defeats so that they would hold up & not have emissions problems. Another guy with a pkg delivery business had 190,000 when he passed. High mileage ones are used commercially and fleet or small company owners are generally not the type that have a lot of time or interest in internet truck forums.

5. VernDiesel

VernDiesel Member

It's sounds like we are not going to get the needed upgrades to stop those leaving or stepping over Rams for Fords n chevys to get something they don't like as well but that isn't always over payload & in the case of the ED derating to avoid an overheat. All they talk about is new whistles & bells.