AF: 2019 Ram does well in IIHS tests except (surprise!) headlights | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Ram does well in IIHS tests except (surprise!) headlights

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by valiant67, Nov 8, 2018.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

UN4GTBL, Dave Z, redhed and 1 other person like this.
  2. red-jk

red-jk Well-Known Member

The lighting and projection on my 2018 2500 are far superior to my 2011 1500. How do they rate the headlights?

GasAxe likes this.
  3. svevar

svevar Well-Known Member

4. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Some things never change. Time for a Sport headlight package like the old days.

5. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

How well they blind on coming traffic. The more they blind on coming traffic the better rated they are it seems

ScramFan, FreeLantz, Dave Z and 6 others like this.
  6. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Active Member

It's not IIHS, but I distinctly remember a period when Consumer Reports got all up in arms because new, brighter headlight tech was posing a hazard to oncoming drivers who could be blinded by the glare. Now recently, CU is all up in arms because headlights are not bright enough. :confused:

ScramFan, Dave Z and jerseyjoe like this.
  7. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

It's stupid. I remember a list of cars having the "best headlights" and all the cars on that list would blind me with their low beams. There becomes a point when it's unsafe for everyone and it seems the us is getting headlights wrong wile Europe can do them correctly. You have to remember i primarily drive a dart but i have been blinded in my dads 14 cherokee and in his old 05 ram and then it's also happened in my moms 08 silverado. So it's not just a "low" car deal, it's an issue for a lot of people

ScramFan, Dave Z and jerseyjoe like this.
  8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Perhaps if people read about the test instead of jumping to conclusions , they would see that part of the headlight test is for excessive glare.

9. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

At this point on my vehicles the headlights are there for me to be seen on the road. There's so much glare from the other cars and lamp posts that I never see my own headlights on the road until I'm pulling into my own driveway.

10. stroudtom

Level 2 Supporter

The single bulb headlights on my 2011 RAM is the worst I ever had except maybe my 66 sport fury.

GasAxe likes this.
  11. WXman

WXman Active Member

Which is worse? Being the driver who is blinded by oncoming lights and being at risk of a crash, or being the driver who can't see **** because of horribly inefficient headlights and being at risk of a crash?

It's six of one, half dozen of another.

In my view, I'm worried about ME. And that's why I hate these horrible factory headlights FCA is using. If you think Ram lights are bad, try driving a 2012-2018 Wrangler with halogen lights. You may as well strap a couple of flashlights to the hood. It's miserable.

UN4GTBL and Mr. Fusion like this.
  12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

But there are some (really no that many though) headlights out there that can provide ample light for you without excessive glare to blind other drivers. Those Wranglers were terrible. You could probably light a candle and have better night vision.

UN4GTBL, Dave Z and wvutuba like this.
  13. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Ram 1500 headlights are without AFS?

14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

If you mean what IIHS calls "curve adaptive" only some trim levels have that. Most don't. IIHS tested 4 different systems. Their report details which trim levels have which headlight system:
    Halogen reflector: Marginal
    LED reflector: Marginal
    LED reflector w/automatic high beam: Marginal
    LED reflector w/ automatic high beam and curve adaptive: Poor

#14 valiant67, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    UN4GTBL likes this.
  15. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

My 2018 DS has good headlights, miles better than my 2012, but not as good as my 02 and 08 Silverados. Our 2017 Durango has very good headlights, but our old 09 Forester were easily superior. Maybe the DCX days killed good headlights for Chrysler because my 84 Lebaron, 97 and 98 Dodge Ram were excellent.

16. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Best headlights I had was in my '91 Talon fitted with a set of Hella replacement rectangle light housings with 55w/100w bulbs. They had great distinct cut off on low beam so no glare..never had anyone flash their lights at me, and with 100w high beams...I could light up the country side! Great for night travel and flash to pass always moved people over!
    So I think the issue is not enough light power in high beam. I think most US bulbs today are 65w best. With auto-high beam systems working so well today, no reason we can't be using much higher wattage bulbs. Other than today's plastic housings can't take the heat that high a halogen bulb puts out, but with today's LED tech, no problem. Just need outdated laws changed.

17. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

BTW, I believe the Chally HID headlights were one of the highest scoring in headlight tests.

18. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

It is a matter of properly designing the optics and of course dealing with the limitations of the DOT code. Note that all components are the best affordable given the budget for the vehicle, not the best possible.

I had a '78 magnum, 4 - 4x6 headlamps, really poor. Put in a set of Cibie halogens with the 65 watt bulbs. Low beam range and coverage improved dramatically and as chase300 noted, oncoming cars never flashed. High beams were unbelievable; I was seeing road signs reflecting over 1/2 mile away. Of course the Cibie's were not DOT approved as they were halogens and the lamps themselves were not hermetically sealed (bulbs twisted in and covered by a rubber boot)

19. Charger Red

Charger Red Well-Known Member

This is possibly because the CU staff is aging and along with age comes night blindness....

20. Charger Red

Charger Red Well-Known Member

Are the Ford truck leading this BS? Over the last year or so every time one approaches from behind there's an imposing wall of light.

Looking for the positive in this situation I found that since people have become desensitized to brighter lights I can actually run around on my high beams with no complaints from others. You can save some money too. Instead of replacing the lamps when the low beams burn out you can just run on the highlights:eek:

wtxiceman likes this.