AF: 2019 Renegade boosts power with new engine | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Renegade boosts power with new engine

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Jeep Renegade sales haven’t set the United States on fire, but Jeep is aiming to change that with a much-improved powertrain in the 2019 series — accompanied by a few technology updates and a new face.

[​IMG]

The brand new “GSE” four-cylinder, engineered by people from both “the former Chrysler” and “the former Fiat,” is smaller than the old 1.4 liter “FIRE” engine, but generates a good deal more power — 177 horsepower and 200 pound-feet of torque, up from 160 and 184.

Reportedly, the engine is less “peaky” and provides a much smoother power curve for greater responsiveness. Indeed, the 200 pound-foot peak torque comes in at a low 1,750 rpm. The downside is a 91 octane (premium gas) specification, though owners can use regular gas with lower performance.

[​IMG]

The Chrysler 2.4 liter engine is still available — standard on the Sport and North — and has gained in power to 180 hp and 175 pound-feet of torque (peak torque is at 3,900 rpm).

The more powerful 1.3 is standard on the Limited and Trailhawk. The 2.4 is made in Michigan, while the 1.3 is made in Poland; the Renegade itself is built in Italy. Fuel economy with the 2.4 is 22/31 for FWD, and 21/29 for AWD; 1.3 economy hasn’t been announced yet.

All Renegades now come with a nine speed automatic — no six speeds. Ground clearance is 6.7 inches on FWD, 8.0 on AWD, and 8.7 inches with the Trailhawk. Curb weight is 3,166 pounds (2.4 FWD) to 3,335 lb (1.3 AWD), with the Trailhawk coming in at 3,532 lb due to its extra off-road gear. The drag coefficient goes from 0.35 to 0.37.

[​IMG]

Active grille shutters and stop-start systems are now included on all but the Trailhawk to increase gas mileage, and an LED Group includes LED headlamps, daytime running lights, cornering fog lamps, and taillights. The Advanced Tech Group has added adaptive cruise control, parking assistance, and front parking centers.

Cosmetic changes include new gauge graphics, an exterior refresh focusing on the front fascias, new wheels, and new colors (Bikini, Slate Blue, and Sting Grey).

There are four models: the Sport, North, Limited, and Trailhawk. Continuing colors are Colorado Red, Omaha Orange, Granite Crystal, Jetset Blue, Glacier, black, and white. Interiors can be done in black, black with Sandstorm, black with grey, or Trailhawk Black.

Read the whole post here.

#1 Dave Z, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    suzq044 likes this.
  2. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

Motortrend has a new article today about the new Renegade also and they drove the 1.3 turbo. They also claim the 9 speed has been recalibrated and has rev matching now. That's kind of big news to me. Will that new 9 speed tech be used in all their new vehicles now?

3. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

I think the new 9 speed started with the refresh cherokee which was more then just a re-calibration, it was a whole need part added on or something along those lines

4. Lone Renegade

Lone Renegade Active Member

I dont think it's worth premium gas and the extra complexity for 25ft/lbs of torque.

5. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

200 at 1750 rpm vs 175 at 3900 rpm

xjgary, tlc, ScramFan and 2 others like this.
  6. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

2019 Jeep Renegade First Drive: Flight of the Firefly - Motor Trend

xjgary and tomit like this.
  7. srtdrew

srtdrew Active Member

I'm not sure how the 2.4L feels/performs in the Renegade, but I can say without the least bit of hesitation that it was quite possibly the worst performing engine I've felt in the last 15-20 years in the refreshed rental Cherokee I had the other week. Absolutely abysmal. Flooring it to accelerate while already at highway speeds to do simple lane changes for passing was an exercise in careful planning and courage.

Point being to keep this on topic is DO NOT choose the 2.4 in the Renegade if you have the choice if it's anything like the Cherokee experience. :)

xjgary and AlfaCuda like this.
  8. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

When I was trying to figure out what was going to replace my Liberty last year, I test drove a Cherokee Trailhawk with the 2.4L just to see if it would work for me since they didn't have any 3.2Ls in stock. I literally made it around the block before I turned back around and told him that I'll be back when a 3.2L comes in. Not only was it slow, it sounded horrible, and felt harsh.

... 3 days later, my 3.2L Cherokee came in from Grand Rapids, and I bought it.

Moparian and srtdrew like this.
  9. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

Considering the Cherokee is anywhere from 500-1000lbs heavier than the Renegade you can't expect the 2.4's performance there to be equal to what you get in a Renegade, especially with more power.

10. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

I was just agreeing with him. However, you are correct. The 2.4L is BETTER in the Renegade, but still kinda underwhelming. I've driven a 2.4L Renegade during an employee event that FCA held for us at JNAP a couple of years ago.

srtdrew and Moparian like this.
  11. srtdrew

srtdrew Active Member

Assuming this should've been Renegade after re-reading?

12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I thought I'd fixed that!

srtdrew likes this.
  13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

OK, I fixed it on the news page but not here. You were correct, it's Renegades, not Cherokees!

srtdrew likes this.
  14. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

I have to say that it is very nice to see FCA updating tech and refreshing the looks on vehicles after only a few years. Remember when they used to de-content instead? This update should keep the Renegade on top of things.

xjgary likes this.
  15. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I know it's too early, but it would be nice if there was a good bump in MPGs.
    I haven't heard if this engine will hit the 500, but the 500 is not easy on gas for its size.

16. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

I don't think I'd expect more than 2 mpg for either city or highway and it's more likely to impact the city. There's a lot of aero to overcome with the Renegade. I think it's going to do more for performance than economy.

17. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Renegade's poor mileage is largely down to aerodynamics: the 500X puts in a class-competitive 28 mpg combined with the 1.4 manual, where the Renegade's figure is 26 - the same figure as the bigger, heavier Compass.

28 or more is good for this class, and 30mpg would be class-leading. (Arguments about cost of premium vs regular gasoline put aside for another time).

It's definitely coming but I can't see this engine in the US-market 500 until production of that car moves to Poland - on current volumes, it makes no sense to change the production line at Toluca to accommodate a new engine family. European 500 production hasn't moved to the SGE yet, and as the 500 model is going to have an "all-new" refresh in 2019/2020 (calendar year), FIAT may hold off from fitting the old model with the new engines if that refresh is "early 2019" rather than "late 2020".

ScramFan and Mr. Fusion like this.
  18. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

I wonder what the specs are when running 87 regular gas?

xjgary and link3721 like this.
  19. red-jk

red-jk Well-Known Member

30 MPG HWY barely makes it competitive. HP & torque are class leading, but not MPG.

Mazda CX-3 29 city / 34 highway
    Honda HR-v 28 city / 34 highway
    Nissan Kicks 31 city / 36 highway
    Chevy Trax 25 city / 33 highway
    Ford Ecosport 27 city / 29 highway
    Toyota C-HR 27 city / 31 highway

I was expecting higher MPG.

Erik Latranyi and valiant67 like this.
  20. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he's talking 30 city and not highway