AF: 2019 Renegade: more of the Jeep look | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Renegade: more of the Jeep look

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The refreshed 2019 Renegade was shown for the first time today, in Europe, where the Italian-made crossover is a hot seller. Under the skin are new engine options, which in the US were probably more hotly anticipated than an updated Renegade.

[​IMG]

The round headlights, a design feature shared with the truly off-road-capable Wrangler, now have insets, declaring them to be LEDs; the grille was freshened as well, and the side mirrors now have integrated turn signals. The rear was also freshened, with minor changes to the distinctive tail-lights (inspired by wartime jerry-cans).

[​IMG]

The company noted updates to the engines without being specific. FCA’s new small engines (GSE) have been launched in Brazil, and would be likely replacements for the current 1.4 liter “FIRE” engine, which has been criticized in U.S. outlets for uneven responsiveness; Allpar source Karl3 wrote that the Renegade would be the first Jeep use of the GSE.

It’s possible that the 2.4 liter TigerShark may be replaced or supplemented by a new GME engine; so far, the Jeep version of that engine has only been shown in turbocharged (Compass) and turbo-hybrid (Wrangler) forms, but it’s not unreasonable to expect a naturally aspirated version.

AutoGuide wrote that they expected the nine-speed automatic and six-speed manual transmissions to remain for 2019 in both Europe and North America. The Renegade is built in multiple factories, but Europeans, United States residents, and Canadians all draw from an Italian plant.

Read the whole post here.

#1 Dave Z, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    UN4GTBL, LeeRyder and jwp44 like this.
  2. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

@Dave Z
    You list the Compass a having the GME turbo, I think you meant Cherokee.

3. LeeRyder

LeeRyder Well-Known Member

I really like that face a lot.

4. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

There's already a 200bhp variant of the GME that's offered as the base gasoline engine in European Giulias. If Jeep wants to replace the 2.4, that's a likely candidate. GME is a more expensive engine, but logistically it may be a better choice: Tigershark engines need to be shipped all the way from Michigan, whereas the 2.0 is built in Termoli, a two hour drive from the Melfi plant.

However, I think a lot of buyers in the US still don't trust forced-induction engines. It may be risky for Jeep to offer no atmospheric engine at all, so I could see Tigershark sticking around for a bit, even if the 2.0 is offered.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  5. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

At one time, Chrysler was the leader in technology for mass produced turbocharged engines.

Daimler destroyed that and drove the engineers away who had that knowledge.

But Chrysler customers once trusted turbo.

alltel12, UN4GTBL, xjgary and 2 others like this.
  6. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

You wouldn't be able to tell by luxury car sales, that's for sure. And Ford's EcoBoost engines have done a lot to bring them into the mainstream.

xjgary likes this.
  7. savio.79

savio.79 Active Member

8. jwp44

jwp44 Active Member

The trailhawk looks good and the wheels are right sized; the limited's wheels look too large for this size jeep--not enough rubber makes for a bumpy highway ride.

xjgary likes this.
  9. svevar

svevar Well-Known Member

Trailhawk looks nice, but the lesser trim with inboard foglamps and fake air intakes is a step backward. Leave the fake vents and intakes to Honda and Toyota. Don't get me started on the fact that nearly the entire grille is blocked off, as also seen on Compass.

10. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

From a purely looks perspective, this is the ONLY Jeep that I like enough to consider purchasing. I didn't quite like the driving position or powertrain in the one that I rented for a week.

11. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Driving position will not change, but powertrain options will... The 1.4 FIRE at 160bhp will be gone in this vehicle; replaced with 1.3 GSE.

ScramFan likes this.
  12. Morty

Morty Well-Known Member

13. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

freshforged likes this.
  14. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Definitely an improvement. It’s a vehicle that don’t interest me however. The side profile reminds me of a jacked Kia Soul. Just odd looking. Trail hawk is the best trim. I’m not sure how sales are in my area. I’ve only seen a handful on the road. Women seem to like them, from my observations.

15. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

Too bad my Patriot is holding up well. I'd enjoy a Renegade if I wasn't so attached to my Patriot. If the US spec gets new engines, that may change my mind.

TripleT and UN4GTBL like this.
  16. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

If that is the same dual clutch transmission i spent a week with in a 500L it’s the single most ill behaved transmission next a un-synced dump truck back in college. To the point it was better in manual. I don’t know how they tolerate that in the EU yikes. I thought we were spoiled but no that thing is not right.

17. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Active Member

You'll hear different views on it. I think @valiant67 had a couple of clutches burn out on him. There were similar horror stories from other early adopters. On the other hand, I haven't had any issues with mine after 3 1/2 years, and I love the driving experience with the DDCT. Shifts are fast, the programming is intelligent, and it doesn't feel herky-jerky like the Ford DCT and others supposedly do. Of course, by the time I bought mine it had already undergone two TCU reflashes put out by FCA, so take that as you will.

18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I liked my DDCT when it worked. The 1.4T engine was really overwhelmed by the heft of the 500L, but the DDCT let the 1.4T rev and deliver some power and delivered nice shifts. But three meltdowns where the clutches smoked and the refused to move until the transmission cooled (without ever lighting the transmission overheated light) in 3200 miles followed by a replacement of the clutch assembly (something like $750 in parts plus 8 hours labor) and I was done with DDCT.

Mr. Fusion likes this.
  19. Lfranc101

Lfranc101 Member

UN4GTBL likes this.
  20. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Nope they were posted on here. But I seen them last Friday when they launched that Offroad magazine announced that Renegade Trailhawk and Wrangler JL won awards at the Turino Auto Show.

2019 Renegade Limited.jpg

[​IMG]

I did catch the 2019 Jeep Renegade Limited NAFTA version out and about yesterday.