AF: 2020 Charger Pursuit | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 Charger Pursuit

Discussion in 'Police, Taxis, Ambulances, etc' started by AHBGuru, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Dominator211

Dominator211 New Member

I was thinking about buying a wrecked or branded R/T taking the interior and anything else needed out of that to put in a pursuit.

2. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

That's the best way. But - keep it within the range of years I listed earlier, and it will be 95% plug n play. The LD's are good cars, and they've made plenty of improvements. Even if you wanted to go nuts and use a 392 or Hellcat donor, the Pursuit is already beefed up to handle it (although the Hellcat will have the fancier brakes, etc that aren't available on the Pursuit).

The only catch will be activating those "retail" features the donor car has, but a good dealership can make quick work of that.

3. Dominator211

Dominator211 New Member

so assuming the price for the two cars put together how much would it cost to have it all done a put together and still have access to thge AWD system. thats the end goal here to have that 5.7 but have the AWD since i live in a snowy state

4. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

It would only be feasible if you did the work yourself. That must be understood.

You can easily find "low mileage" (under 50,000 miles) AWD Pursuits for around $15 - 25,000, no assembly required.
    The '17+ Pursuits use what is essentially the Hellcat suspension (except springs and shocks, and LCA's on the AWD models), a 7" TV in the middle, and nearly all of those will also have the backup camera and perimeter control.

To spice it up, a nice leather interior on ebay runs anywhere from $1,500 to $2,000. Alternatively, a leather Katzkin interior runs about half of that, plus installation. Stay away from tuners, CAI, cat-backs, and all the other crapola that only adds noise and costs money.

5. Dominator211

Dominator211 New Member

I just want to make sure if everything actually fits if i used a wrecked donor to bring a good transmission into a pursuit that the car would understand the 8 speed and the AWD system along with everything else that is with the V8 (MDS, ect) that should require tuning right?

6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

There is no V8 AWD 8 speed setup, so you aren't going to find that in a wrecked car.
    If you want AWD you are gong to have to settle for a V8 5 speed or a V6 8 speed.
    Otherwise, it's going to be fabricate (including whatever electronics are needed as well as physical components) or wait for the factory to offer a V8 AWD with the 8 speed.

7. Dominator211

Dominator211 New Member

IF you read the last few messages from this thread you would understand what i meant by this. I plan on getting a pursuit with the 5 speed right. But im trying to figure out how much/ if it would possible if i got a wrecked or branded R/T with the 8 speed and put the transmission in there.

8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I understand what you want to do. There are no factory parts or electronics to do what you want. That's why I mentioned mechanical and electrical fabrication.

9. Dominator211

Dominator211 New Member

Ok, I re-read what you said and now it makes sense, I was assuming the cost would be astronomical anyway but I'm still trying to get to the bottom of how much it would cost and what exactly would need to be done, in this case, fabricated.

10. Dominator211

Dominator211 New Member

S
    Sorry for the double post but doesnt Speed Core make custom transmissions or somthing? they just had a twin-turbo hellcat at SEMA this year.

11. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Current Charger package car; the modified front tension strut, is that the diagonal lower control are that runs from the spindle to just under the radiator? If such is the case, what was changed on that platform to accept the beefed up part? I've done a fair amount of front suspension work on LX cars so, I'm pretty familiar with their quirks.

12. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

It goes by a few different names:

- Tension Strut
    - Lower Forward Control Arm
    - Lateral Arm

Few, if any, suspension parts from the LX carried over to the LD. When they redesigned the platform from the LX to LD in 2011, they changed many of the pickup points, front and rear, along with caster and camber settings, to stabilize the handling. With regard to the tension struts, they also beefed up the bushings and balljoints themselves, which were subsequently revised many times. In mid-2016, along with several other running changes, they started borrowing certain goodies from the Hellcat models for the RWD Pursuits - tension struts being part of that.

It should be noted that the AWD model uses a very tough 1-piece LCA, greatly simplifying maintenance in an area that has caused more than a bit of frustration with many fleets.

Now, if they would make anti-swaybar links that would last more than 10,000 miles ...