AF: 2020 Chrysler 300 delayed or cancelled? | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 Chrysler 300 delayed or cancelled?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by GaryS, Dec 25, 2019.

1. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

Just did another dealer search in a 150 mile radius of Fort Worth, TX. A total of 89, with one 300 Limited and not even one 300C!

Zagnut27 likes this.
  2. HoboChangba

HoboChangba Well-Known Member

Can't deny the fact that they just don't try and sell them. No advertising. No promo's. There is still a market there that they should try and exploit since they already have product that is well regarded in the industry (the 2020 300 won some more awards. Always does). Even more so since GM & Ford walked away from cars. While cars sales have been dropping as we all know, 6 million vehicles is still a ton of money. In the Baltimore region earlier in the summer a friend was looking for a 300C with a hemi and found 1. Funny but we have two local dealers who will stock 300's. Yet several others will have one or two at the most. Often none. Though the ones who have the larger stocks are similar to what we've been hearing about the sales banks i.e. either stripped or totally loaded.

HotCarNut, Zagnut27, Suhail and 2 others like this.
  3. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

I went on Autotrader and did a search for new 300's with a Hemi. I had to expand the search radius to 500 miles to find a 300C, and even then I only found one. The other 6 vehicles found were 300S models. There were 477 V6 powered models in that 500 mile radius, so if you don't want a Hemi there are a few more choices.

HotCarNut and Zagnut27 like this.
  4. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Exactly!

As has been pointed out by a lot of us; the 300 has NO direct competitors left, if discussing Detroit Three manufacturers. Ford dumped the Taurus (no loss IMHO), Chevy the Impala, Buick also abandoned the car market; that leaves Lincoln and Cadillac, take away the Navigator and Escalade, and both of those divisions would probably die............

5. HoboChangba

HoboChangba Well-Known Member

Can you imagine the cool commercials showing the originals, quick history, the last 2 generations, all the awards, stressing how Chrysler does it best. Only Chrysler. Alas all of us here seem to get it. If only we could get through to the management. Don't mean to repeat myself but there is still a ton of money out there for the taking.......Just saying.

6. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

You have a point...its deja vu just like when GM and Ford gave up building minivans.

Bearhawke likes this.
  7. Satellite Saint

Satellite Saint Active Member

Well, I did a search of 50 miles here in upstate NY near Albany and only 1Limited showed up. That’s just sad. Expanded out to 150m and got about 30. And those were south of me closer to the burbs of NYC.

8. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Look on the bright side: they haven't officially killed the 300 yet, unlike competitors.

9. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

10. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

FCA has been slowly killing the 300
    Dealers do not stock them I blame FCA for that.

HotCarNut and page2171 like this.
  11. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

12. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

Spent the better part of the morning with a salesman at the local Mopar store.

While waiting for the service department to replace the $471.00 headlight bulb for my T&C, we did a search for a 300 Limited with the minimum features my wife wants. He used a 200-mile search, as that is the mileage limit imposed on them for a dealer trade. Within 200 miles of the DFW area, there were only two Limited models in stock and one on order. All were the bland shades of gray with black interiors. There were perhaps a dozen lesser models, but none were equipped nearly as well as the standard Limited model.

He was as frustrated as I was for the meager number of 300s in dealer stock. His store used to carry a normal inventory of 800 vehicles, but today they had about 350 of which most are Rams and Jeeps. He said they had been required to reduce the number because the insurance coverage had more than doubled in price in the past year. This is hail country, so that is probably a true statement.

He was also frustrated that Chrysler and Dodge no longer have an entry level product now that the Dart and 200 are gone. He said they were the best sellers for their store, and even a stripped 300 is too expensive for the typical first-time new car buyers.

More frustrating for me was that he had very little info on the 2020 300 models and couldn't even tell me if and when the new colors will be available.

It looks like the factory and the retail stores don't communicate very well, so for now we sit and wait.

13. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

You should blame consumers instead. They aren't kept in stock because the number of people who want to buy a sedan has declined significantly. Forcing dealers to stock them wouldn't change that.

HotCarNut, redriderbob and page2171 like this.
  14. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

If so, we are still selling Chargers, and Camrys, etc.
    FCA Is keeps pushing dealers to Buy unsold vehicles, how many of those aré 300?
    I still think a new 300 could be a homerun.

jimboy likes this.
  15. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

I guess to some extent, it could be FCA's fault for not thoroughly refreshing the car in 2015 as they did with the Charger. Most remaining sedans are switching to sporty styling to attract buyers and it can't be a coincidence that this is happening while staid sedans like the Impala, LaCrosse, and Taurus are getting the axe. There must be some research that indicates that to capture buyers' attention, sedans must evolve to have sports-car like designs. If they did that with the 300, it would move into the Charger's territory and become redundant. Maybe @aldo90731 can elaborate on that.

HotCarNut likes this.
  16. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

As I opined; keeping the 300 to me is a no brainer since its platform's shared with the Charger/Challenger so, that's essentally 'found money'.

Tony K and wolfsblood07 like this.
  17. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Maybe you should share everything you know. Y
    Camry and Chargers are two completely different cars. Chargers don't sell like they did in 2007, however, Dodge focuses on it as its niche in the performance market. The 300 is an amazing car and continues to win awards and have solid numbers compared to the diminishing sales of its competitors like Impala and Taurus which are both axed.

Charger continues to sell well with a portion of success due to law enforcement and fleet sales.

The market has changed towards SUVs and CUVs. Dodge will introduce their new performance UV that will fill in the production spot of the 300 at Brampton.

Chrysler was looking at a replacement for the 300, which I wrote about for Allpar...

2017 Chrysler Manta concept car: future 300? (at https://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/chrysler/manta.html )

But since then they have changed courses. CUVs and Minivans will be the Chrysler brand's future.

HotCarNut and ScramFan like this.
  18. aldo90731

It is true that the automakers that have decided to battle on with sedans have taken a sporty approach. But there’s no evidence that it is working. Honda Accord keeps getting praised for its true sports sedan driving dynamics but sales continue to decline. Camry has taken a somewhat similar approach, albeit more in style than substance, and that doesn’t seem to be stopping the decline there either. I haven’t checked Altima sales, but I really haven’t seen the new one on the streets, so that in itself is a sign.

At the end of the day, Midsize Sedan sales appear to be getting squeezed between those of Compact Cars —e.g., Civic, Mazda3, the Compact CUV —e.g., CR-V, RAV4, and the midsize CUV.

With regards to the Large Sedan, the dynamics seem more nuanced. Charger and 300 offer something unique with their RWD, AWD, V6 and V8 offerings, so they seem to be able to offer more than an Avalon or an Impala.

With regards to Charger outselling 300, that is simply a result of investment. In recent years Dodge has received significantly more engines, styling tweaks, limited editions and advertising dollars than Chrysler. That in itself is going to tilt sales in favor of Charger. Plus Dodge has a broader lineup, making it easier for a Dart, Challenger, Journey or Durango owner to migrate into a Charger. Chrysler has Pacifica, and that’s it.

The decline of 300 —and the Chrysler brand— is being accelerated by FCA’s shortsighted brand repositioning.

#38 aldo90731, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    XRT2SRT, somber, HotCarNut and 7 others like this.
  19. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

I think the sporty styles coming out could be more a last hurrah to see if manufacturers can rekindle sales in their sedans. But seeing the new CUV's/SUV's offer all the performance of sedans, with a much better package that is easier to live with day to day sedans may end up like 2-door hatchbacks. Everyone offered one back in the 90's...and now where are they?

voiceofstl, Tony K and aldo90731 like this.
  20. aldo90731

I agree. But the thing is, the traditional FWD midsize sedan, in sporty guise or not, offers little that can’t be obtained elsewhere: the Compact Sedan offers greater efficiency at a lower price, and the CUV offers greater comfort, cargo space and all-weather capability.

The RWD Large Sedan offers comfort and power you cannot easily get in a Compact Sedan, and it offers power and style you don't always get in a CUV —although the latter can still deliver comparable comfort and cargo space.

Charger shows that the RWD Large Sedan still has life in it if the automaker provides a vision and invests in it. Unfortunately, FCA hasn’t figured out what to do with 300, and it is letting it die a slow death as a result.

Chebby7, HotCarNut, wtxiceman and 2 others like this.