AF: 2020 Chrysler Voyager & Pacifica | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 Chrysler Voyager & Pacifica

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by UN4GTBL, Jun 28, 2019.

1. 97 plymouth neon expresso

97 plymouth neon expresso Well-Known Member

I haven't heard that the Pacifica was unreliable. I hate those movie/slideshows that don't say anything, is it all Pacifica's, the hybrids??

UN4GTBL and jclick like this.
  2. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Active Member

Motor Trend has had a ghastly experience with their long-term Pacifica. It was a non-hybrid model, but from what I can remember, the issues were not powertrain related. It spent a lot of that year (like, a month or more) in the shop waiting on parts from FCA, and it had to go back repeatedly for the same issues. I want to say it was mostly suspension-related, but don't quote me on that.

On the other hand, another source (Autoblog or Edmunds, can't remember which) loved their long-term Pacifica Hybrid so much, a staff member almost bought the test vehicle when the year was up. (In the end he couldn't justify the expense while having only one kid, lol.)

UN4GTBL likes this.
  3. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

Computerized cars at their best .

4. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I kept up with that Motor Trend long term test with the Pacifica also. it was embarrising. Did they ever figure out the stalling problem?

5. Illegal Machine

Illegal Machine Active Member

Our Limited (non Hybrid) just passed 36K miles. Our stop/start battery has died twice, we had a bad strut mount, and a myriad of sliding door issues (none resolved, it's just possessed).

None of that is major (the strut mount got a little sketchy) .

Our neighbors have a Hybrid. It's been gone for 3 weeks because the trans died and needs complete replacement.

6. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Can't speak of yours (non hybrid) but your neighbor just misunderstood what FCA meant by hybrid.
    Sometimes it is a vehicle and sometimes, like now, it is a storage container.

7. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Active Member

Just wanted to follow-up to say that I don't think the issue was identified, only that I believe it had stopped happening after umpteen service visits.

Sadly I can't find the official wrap-up article online, but here is one of the previous ones that went over the issues: Long-Term Update 3. (@Illegal Machine you may want to read that one.) I know there had been a previous Allpar thread about this topic, so I'll leave it at that.

8. Illegal Machine

Luckily the stop/start battery death only kills the stop/start system and the remote start. Remote start killed = bad. Stop/start killed = great!

We love the van, and bought an incredibly expensive Max Care warranty for it because we intend to keep it for a few more years.

FYI, prices on Max Care warranties went up 30% in July, should give you an idea of repair costs FCA is incurring.

Mr. Fusion and UN4GTBL like this.
  9. Illegal Machine

It sucks because their Ford C-Max Energi seems to run like a champ. And they got the Hybrid because we liked our Limited so much.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  10. edvan

edvan Well-Known Member

I have a 2018 Pacifica Limited. By far the best vehicle I ever owned(have had 14 vehicles so far).Just had my first issue at 15000 miles, the Uconnect maps thinks I am in New Jersey. I live in NY. I am taking it in next week for a reflash. No biggie for me as I use Android auto. Other than that, it has been flawless. IMHO, the ride, handling combo is amazing.

cdjr77, jclick, brewdad and 4 others like this.
  11. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's an awful website

Tony K likes this.
  12. jnc2000

jnc2000 Active Member

2018 Hybrid Limited checking in... 74K in just over two years of ownership thus far. No mechanical issues to report, and most of the Uconnect bugs seem to be sorted out at this time. Very pleased with this van.

UN4GTBL, tlc, somber and 5 others like this.
  13. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

So my sister wanted to rent a Pacifica to try it and see if its gonna be her next car, but the rental company only had DGCs. They said the Pacificas are the first things gone when they get back. My sister said the DGC was slow and couldn't get out its own way and was hoping that the Pacifica's faster knowing the engines are the same. I know the Pacifica's lighter and has the 9 speed so that should be enough to give it pep. No?

14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The Dodge Grand Caravan isn't slow, but the programming is often terrible. The ones I've driven seem to have the following behavior when you press the accelerator normally: wait, wait, wait, OK there's the power, oops too much. Very touchy with a dead spot on tip in until you get used to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it also affected the Pacifica somewhat as that's a somewhat common "economy oriented" programming.
    The only application I've driven where the Pentastar felt weak was the Wrangler (I'll admit I haven't driven a JL 3.6 with the 8 speed, just the 2.0T). The other Pentastars (Challengers, 300s, Durangos, Grand Cherokees, Cherokees, Grand Caravans, etc.) all felt fine - just that the programming often made tip-in feel weaker than it was. The power was really there if you punched it hard.

15. somber

somber 370,000 miles

Agreed, Grand Caravan is plenty quick. Its zero to 60 time beat the Dart. One other thing to watch out for is the eco mode switch - I recommend you never put it into eco mode. I've considered disconnecting the eco mode switch on ours, because every now and then my daughter will drive the car and set it. When I drive it after she has, sometimes I have a brief moment of panic thinking that our transaxle is giving up the ghost, before I look down and see that green LED lit.

16. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

I’ve driven plenty of 3.6 Caravans, you have to take it easy pulling off from a traffic light, the tires will spin if you goose it. No lack of power, is it possible she rented a 4 banger? Do they exist?

17. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Maybe that's what it is. Riding around in the car as a passenger it felt to me the transmission was straining. @valiant67 what you're describing is consistent with what I heard. "Couldn't get out of its own way" is similar to my Civic where its got a 2 second lag between gasing it and actually moving.

18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It's sad - because in the Grand Caravan there is plenty of power there if you wait for it. I know it's probably a split-second delay but it seems longer.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  19. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Well-Known Member

Not that the 3.6L is bad in the DGC (its the trans programming that I don't like at all), but the 9 speed makes the Pacifica better

20. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member