AF: 2020 First 6-Month Sales - US | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 First 6-Month Sales - US

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by aldo90731, Jul 1, 2020.

1. MSwenning

MSwenning Active Member

But they are discontinuing the models that are going to the fleets, yes some of each of the other models go to fleets also but to a much lesser extent.

2. LeeRyder

LeeRyder Well-Known Member

I live in an area of everything
    From new Lambos to old crusty corollas.

Literally, EVERYTHING.

I've not seen a single supra.

That tells me all there is to say.

3. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Well-Known Member

Had a Corolla rental in the past year or so. My absolute least favorite rental vehicle ever. It was low miles, not damaged or worn out at all. I would have rather had a Nissan Altima, a car often denigrated in online reviews, but a car which drives, rides and handles far better in my opinion. A new Corolla could be on sale for half off, and I'd still take any other sedan. Of course, I tend to prefer mid-size sedans. I tend to think I'd like a Camry. As a friend with a BMW claimed he was fairly impressed with a Camry rental.

A used Dodge Dart, again a car sometimes denigrated since it was cancelled, would be a far more enjoyable driver than a new Corolla.

#43 AvengerGuy, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    tlc likes this.
  4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

We rented a Corolla a few years ago when we went out to Colorado. It didn’t have very many miles on it...though I don’t know now what year it was. It seemed new. Other than basic transport from a to b, it did nothing exceptionally well. I would describe it as “competent” or “adequate”. As boring as riding around in a cubicle...or perhaps a penalty box as punishment for some undeserved roughing minor. Yeah...penalty box...that’s it.

danbek, AvengerGuy and tlc like this.
  5. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Clearly you guys haven’t gotten stuck with a Nissan Sentra Rental Edition.

danbek, Zagnut27 and gforce2002 like this.
  6. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

As long as you don't mind seats that are hard as rocks. :confused::eek:

danbek, saltydog and djsamuel like this.
  7. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Well-Known Member

While we're talking rental cars, another vehicle I had for a couple of days was a Nissan Murano. I found it comfortable, very comfortable, and easy to drive and get used to. Not quite as good of fuel mileage as my personal cars and typical rental sedans, but helped me better understand the huge appeal of SUVs and crossovers. Sitting up higher does seem to offer a more desirable driving position.. Would most likely really love a late model Grand Cherokee, though what I would most like to get, a very well-equipped one, might be a bit more than I am looking to spend.

8. rmtodd

rmtodd Well-Known Member

Since I can't look at any numbers without wanting to make a spreadsheet of them, I created this one that attempts to analyze 2nd quarter sales in light of COVID-19. Since some vehicles are trending up or down from 2019-2020 for reasons having nothing to do with the coronavirus, I created a ranking of ranks, that compares their sales TREND YTD to the TREND just for the 2nd quarter, in hope of separating the effects of people not buying cars due to the virus from other effects like vehicles being discontinued or decontented, or receiving updates or special packages, or trending because they are SUVs vs. sedans, or other changes in the market.

Since the whole market was down sharply, some of the biggest successes by this particular comparison might still be among the biggest decliners in the FCA lineup; the rank would just show the virus isn't the thing that's hurting them. The 2 "sales change rank" columns compare the trend in that period of 2020 to the same period in 2019 for a particular vehicle. For instance, not surprisingly, the Gladiator ranked #1 in YTD change with a big percentage increase from the previous year. The same is true for the 2nd quarter. The "Rank Change" figure subtracts the YTD rank from the 2Q rank, so if the climbed the ranks, it gets a negative number, so in this charter negative numbers are the best.

This chart may be unfair to a model like the Gladiator, since it couldn't improve to a number much better than 1st place; it may be overly fair to models where the vehicles models were late to hit dealer lots in 2020, so customers simply couldn't find them, whereas the supply finally became adequate in the second quarter.

upload_2020-7-8_22-42-4.png

9. aldo90731

Very interesting analysis.

Having said that, this pandemic is likely impacting sales in some segments more than others.

For instance, the fact that Renegade sales rank better now could be due to that segment overall being hit harder. There’s also inventory availability: when plants shut down, CDJR may have had more Renegades in stock than, say Honda HR-Vs or Subaru Crosstexs, helping move unsold Renegades.

saltydog likes this.
  10. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The joke at work is Nissan puts the rental barcode sticker on at the factory.

Currently there are very few Corollas available for rent in the fleets. There is an active recall for that model and all the rental companies have had to park them just before the pandemic hit. What should have been an orderly process has been chaos. The legal department wouldn't let us wholesale these Corollas out when we had the business demand meltdown. There are Corollas parked since February in various storage lots.

I would take a Toyota Corolla or Camry over a German sedan as a rental any day of the week. I live with all the cars and having simple controls which don't insult the driver is a big plus.

gforce2002 and aldo90731 like this.
  11. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper

I can tell you from first-hand experience that the Supras are selling, even now, just about as fast as they are built. They just don't make many to begin with.

12. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

Yep, I feel the same way, every Toyota seat is just murder for my back....

I almost had a back spasm while in a rental Sienna in our 5hr drive from PA to CT. o_O

tlc likes this.
  13. aldo90731

I swear the seating position in my Toyota Tacoma was designed especially for Quasimodo.

danbek, tlc, saltydog and 2 others like this.
  14. Doug D

Try a 15 hour drive from central VA to Tampa, FL in a Camry. Then a 14 hour drive home.

saltydog likes this.
  15. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I remember driving my Magnum from San Francisco to Seattle in 2008 and felt like I wanted to keep going via the North Pole and go around earth one full rotation... :) That's when you know a car is a great cruiser...

16. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Daughter in law has a 2010 Nissan Centra that lost the parking lot battles, now a baby transporter. 160,000 miles on the same roads we use our car. Inside looks very respectable for its age with a quieter ride than our 2015 300s. Airconditoner never service still blows ice cold. FCA btter step up itd game. I'm still looking for a loaded 2000 Jeep GG with inline 6. Quietest Mopar I can recall. Front ends need attention but I can hadle that. Only luxuries we use in the S is th gps and the remote start. Power seats need to be standard at my age.

The only road here the 300 is quiet on is the Garden State Parkway, gotta watch the speed. Problem is that is a twice a month journey because of tolls and now traffic. But thats New Jersey for you.

#56 jerseyjoe, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  17. Doug D

We use to have a '00 T&C LTD AWD that had the most comfortable seats ever. Drove the same trip to Florida with a bad back. Felt more comfortable driving than walking. Could have driven for hours at a time and often did

RogerDodger8508, saltydog and hmk123 like this.
  18. tlc

tlc Well-Known Member

A year ago, drove 22 hours in 1 day in my 2016 Dart. No soreness at all.

somber and hmk123 like this.
  19. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Interesting. Our local Toyota Dealer has been advertising Supras on the Orlando Facebook Garage Sale Page. I assumed if they were resorting to that, it wasn't selling.

20. aldo90731

I am pretty sure Supra hasn’t sold nearly as well as Toyota expected.

Blame it on people shunning cars for SUVs, low awareness that Toyota can offer a fun car and, more recently, Coronavirus.