AF: 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon RECON | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon RECON

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by aldo90731, Jan 8, 2020.

1. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

JL Wrangler Forums reports that Jeep is adding a Recon package to Wrangler Rubicon.

Here are the specs:
    [​IMG]

This one looks to be more of an appearance package with less unique substance than the original Recon Edition.

2. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

I wish they would stop doing that.....It really devalues the name ................. Just give it a different name... Like "Black Ops"

suzq044 and aldo90731 like this.
  3. aldo90731

Agreed. Jeep made a big deal about the original Recon; it even gave each one a unique plaque.
    [​IMG]

This time...not so much...

suzq044 and thebluegoat like this.
  4. CDJSalesPro

The hood decal actually listed all the upgrades......
    [​IMG]

5. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper

Hmmm.... 10A owners everywhere will say, "welcome to our world".....

aldo90731 likes this.
  6. aldo90731

10A offered several things that weren’t available elsewhere, like the red leather seats and, up to that point, the power dome hood, anvil paint color, the new Mopar steel bumpers, the enhanced rock rails, the larger hood decals and the red seatbelts and switches.

Nothing this Recon offers is unique. The LEDs, steel bumpers, enhanced rock rails and black grille are all existing options, the wheels are lifted from JT, and Pixel Decals sells those blackout vent stickers for $35/pair.

Sorry, the red seatbelts are “new.”

#6 aldo90731, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  7. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

This appears to package a lot of goodies for the price though. Standard LED, steel bumpers, hinge gate reinforcement alone is worth the price of the package. Then add the better rock rails, eTorque version of the 2.0 (not an option on normal Rubicon) and cosmetic stuff, it becomes an easy sell to me over a similarly equipped Rubicon (though I don't know if I'd take it instead of the diesel).

A lot of what the original Recon added is already included in the current Rubicon. And there isn't a limit on paint color this time either.

Ryan likes this.
  8. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper

No I am referring to how everything on the 10A that was supposed to be exclusive, with the single exception of the optional red seats, would later be offered on the Rubicon X and Hard Rock models, thus making the limited edition 10A almost indistinguishable from less exclusive models. That cheapened the 10A, in my opinion, in a way similar to how this new "Recon" with nothing exclusive cheapens the earlier Recon that was unique (limited production, only a few color choices, besides having some hardware differences versus other Rubicons).

CDJSalesPro and aldo90731 like this.
  9. aldo90731

The front axle and diff covers were unique to JK Recon. Granted, they weren’t obvious, but they offered something of substance, especially to anyone looking to off-road.

My point is, the “Recon” name offered something that was more than the sum of its parts. This time everyone goes adding up how much money they’d save by clicking on the Recon box, which makes it no more than an option group with a recycled fancy name.

link3721 likes this.
  10. aldo90731

Agreed. This devalues the “Recon” name.

I guess my point was that at least 10A offered several unique features for 12 months. This Recon doesn’t even attempt to do that.

FreeLantz likes this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Red leather seats would be a nice option in a JL.

link3721 likes this.
  12. link3721

I'm fine with cloth and wouldn't be looking to get leather in a Wrangler, unless they offered red or another outlandish color.

13. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Blue would be kind of a cool option in the 4xe models. I prefer non-black/gray/tan interior colors.

link3721 likes this.
  14. CDJSalesPro

Too many interior color choices can actually hurt the sales process for potential customers. Lets not forget the fiasco and lesson that should have been learned from the failed "have it your way Dart"

suzq044 likes this.
  15. link3721

Agreed. I wish the Rubicon came with tan cloth as an option like the Sahara.

I've ordered my last two vehicles and aren't afraid to wait for something to be built to my specs, so I'd prefer having all the options. I know I'm not normal though.

Isn't that how most places in Europe do it? Low dealer inventory and everyone orders their vehicle?

Dave Z likes this.
  16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

They had choices other than black, near-black, dark gray, and darker gray? ;)

I personally like having more interior choices, but I have to special order the car to get anything but black.

I looked for a long time to find a Dart with LED headlights (they were dirt cheap by special order but dealers didn't get them that way - go figure). Now I'm looking for a used pre-2017-or-2018 Mazda3 Sport Touring (or whatever it's called) Premium Package white/white to get all the bits I want ;) (Adaptive LED headlights, white interior, white exterior, 2.5 engine, manual transmission, and some bits and bobs of safety gear).

Keep in mind we have two Chryslers, a Dodge, and a Plymouth at my house...

#16 Dave Z, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    HotCarNut and Ryan like this.
  17. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

I would prefer to order but there's nothing from FCA or GM that's sticking out to me as a "must have" so I'm going to check some auctions for very slightly used vehicles of different brands. I've got about 6 months until I buy which feels like it's coming up really quickly.

18. aldo90731

The problem I find with factory ordering a JL, is that with MSRPs so out of line with transaction prices, you risk paying too much vs buying off the lot. True, you can haggle on a factory order too, but the buyer doesn't have nearly as much leverage because the dealer is not looking to get rid of a specific unit.

This is less of an issue with Rams, as there is so much inventory one is likely to find one exactly the way you want it, at a good discount.

19. CDJSalesPro

The problem with "offering" too many interior color combinations is that potential Buyer becomes a shopper because they can not find the combination that they saw in the brochure. They can not locate their "dream" car and end up looking at other makes and models.

Wrangler already has a ton of options models and colors.....Pricing themselves from low 30k to 60k + You can have 50+ wranglers in inventory on the lot and still not have a Wrangler that is equipped the way a potential customer wants. Offering too many interior choices makes that decision even more difficult for the customer.

The Dart marketed itself as being special because of all of the interior combinations......See how well that worked out for the Dart:rolleyes: Well over 90% of customers that purchase new cars want to see it touch it and feel it before purchasing. Special ordering is not how most people buy their cars. Personally I am happy to order a car for someone. But most dont want to wait a couple months for their car to come in. We are an internet society.....(they want it NOW instant gratification.)

wtxiceman likes this.
  20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I guess the moral of Vietnam was that you should not have wars in countries that begin with the letter V, then...

The consensus around the Dart is that it failed mostly because of the powertrains and weight. But I guess maybe it was the interior combinations?

suzq044, HotCarNut, flffddy and 2 others like this.