Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 Maserati Alfieri, next type Dodge Viper(?) replacement platform?

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Hemidakota, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

[​IMG]

LINK: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.d...ype=MASERATI&ID=3199725&Selected=2&class=3911

Yes! We know that the Dodge Viper line has shut down this year, but could the next Dodge Viper type halo car reside on the new Maserati Alfieri platform in 2020 or 2021? I can say, Vipers are not plentiful in numbers on the street, and when there is one at the light, people will gawk (starring) unlike the Vette (exception is the 2017 model which to me is the best design ever).

What do the insiders say?

2. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

All 3 will share a platform and I am betting the Italians will take the lead because Americans can't handle a high end supercar. I mean, look at what the Americans did to the Viper. :oops:

UN4GTBL and valiant67 like this.
  3. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Instead of repeating myself every two days about the same information... do a little digging on the car gaps thread.... I posted enough there.

4. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

Ya and the Americans might get the platform 10 or so years afterwards so as not to tarnish that sterling Italian quality.

Donte Lindsey likes this.
  5. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Think again... 2021 or 2022.

Prabhjot and ScramFan like this.
  6. Adventurer55

I'll believe it when I see it. Even so, if it arrives it'll have to be assembled somewhere else. Can't be seen with a Maserati.

7. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

There is a lot more at stake... go back in the car gaps thread and read what I wrote...

8. Adventurer55

Redriderbob, I believe your info on this forum is invaluable and I really appreciate your input on here. With that said, I just get very defensive with the progress the company is making after almost 10 years. In the last few it feels more and more daimleresque as the days go by.

JavelinAMX and Donte Lindsey like this.
  9. Judas Shuttlesworth

Judas Shuttlesworth Active Member

True...but when I use Google to translate 2022 from Italian into English it always comes back with "2025...maybe 2026..."

Zagnut27, UN4GTBL, AHBGuru and 8 others like this.
  10. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

OK, that's funny! :D:p

11. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

It was great, wasn't it?

Judas Shuttlesworth likes this.
  12. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Funny guy. The Viper replacement will be a GT car but nothing like the current Viper.

freshforged, suzq044 and phillip104 like this.
  13. Judas Shuttlesworth

Judas Shuttlesworth Active Member

Bob, on a serious note, to echo what's been said before...I really hope you know how much we appreciate you sharing what you can about the timelines going forward. We may get annoyed and gripe endlessly about the timelines you share with us, but we appreciate them nonetheless.

I assure you there will be no shooting of the messenger from this section of the peanut gallery, and thank you again for bringing what you have to the table.

14. serpens

serpens Active Member

Good, that means it might actually be able to survive out on the market. Outside of the die-hard Viper fans, there was really no reason for anyone else to buy one this time around.

15. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Threads like this are exactly why I have slowed my roll around here.

Too much sarcasm and unhappiness for me. I’d rather break a bottle of bubbly on the hood of my K car, I mean Charger, and just smile while I smoke the tires while listening to SiriusXM Yacht Rock. :D

Mike

#15 Mike V., Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  16. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

Same here Bob.

No complaints from this big fat peanut:D

Judas Shuttlesworth likes this.
  17. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

I get that. Not many people understand it, but Viper was a huge success for Dodge and Chrysler Group errr FCA US as a whole. The Viper made money. Thus explains why Cerberus wanted to sell it before the bankruptcy, remember?

Viper did more than any other vehicle in the past 30 years, including the minivan and that was restore Chrysler Corporation/Chrysler Group/FCA US as a worldwide car company recognized around the world. The Viper might not have been sold in every country, but you would be hard placed to find anyone who didn't know what a Viper is, point one out, and even people who don't know anything about cars know what one was. Viper was a halo not to just the Dodge brand, but the company as a whole.

Viper made more money than what people think. It might have not made as much money as an actual car but licensing and branding it made a ton. Worldwide it was a star of video games, posters, diecast models... if you name it, there was probably a Dodge licensed Viper logo on it.

[​IMG]

With Dodge being the performance arm of FCA US, it makes sense to do a follow up car. This has been planned for sometime. However, as I stated over and over again the car will be very different than the current Viper. The car will still be a GT car. Dodge can't all be muscle cars and this will help cover the gap from other performance brands like Chevrolet and their Camaro and Corvette. Dodge can't really do anything else to improve the current LA based Viper engine. It is also doomed by upcoming emissions regulations. I expect the Viper replacement car to be powered by a HEMI V8. The car will not be hand assembled either. This car would more than likely be mass produced like that of the Chevrolet Corvette.

We have no idea if it will be built here or overseas. But being mass produced would drop the price of such a car. It will share the upcoming Alfa Romeo/Maserati GT platform which will help Dodge cut development cost. Expect not much except architecture to be shared. The car would have it's own body work, power train, interior, infotainment and would come in a lower cost than the other two. That doesn't mean that the Dodge brand would be given the short hand either.

Will it carry the Viper name? Probably not. Will it continue the Viper legacy with an awesome American GT sports car.... absolutely. The Maserati will debut first, followed by the Dodge and Alfa around the same time according to my sources.

oruandy, Hemidakota, UN4GTBL and 10 others like this.
  18. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

turbo-k-car-burnout-600.jpg

Why not a little of both???

Zagnut27, UN4GTBL, danbek and 4 others like this.
  19. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Amen !! Thank you, Bob.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  20. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Well ahoy polloi.;)

Zagnut27 and Mike V. like this.