Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 Maserati Alfieri, next type Dodge Viper(?) replacement platform?

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Hemidakota, Jul 24, 2017.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Taller as in hood height

Cody's Car Conundrum likes this.
  2. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

It has been speculated that the next HEMI is to be debut in 2021..

Next Challenger/Charger/300 is scheduled for 2021.
    Next Viper is rumored for 2020-2021.

I wonder who will be the first to be shown with the entry HEMI and the top-dog HEMI.

3. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Viper replacement will be after the LX cars replacement

4. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

Yeah. I should've clarified.

5. serpens

serpens Active Member

I'm personally hoping the next Hemi (or whatever would go in to a theoretical next-gen Viper) gets a V8 similar to what the Euros are using now. They are ultra responsive and compact while still allowing for low hoods. Mercedes seems to have done just fine shoehorning theirs into the AMG GT (4.0L V8 TT) and the SLS (6.2 NA V8) before that.

6. Cody's Car Conundrum

But what block do they use? Are they 90 degrees like the Viper's engine?

The Hemi is a 60 degree block as far as I'm aware. So it wouldn't be possible to get the hood as low as the AMG GT and SLS (however that's assuming they have a 90 degree engine block). Not to mention the Viper V10 has camshaft in block. Thus increasing How low it can sit in the car (and it lowers the center of gravity as a result).

I don't know what they would do to make the Hemi smaller/lower. Assuming it's the engine they'll use of course.

7. serpens

serpens Active Member

Hemi is 90 degrees like most V8's I'm pretty sure.

8. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The Hemi is not a 60 degree block.

Again the issue is the width of the gen III Hemi. It won’t fit between the shock towers. The Hellcat version is also too tall.

Mike

9. Cody's Car Conundrum

Just did a quick search and found out that it is indeed a 90 degree V8.

10. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

And here I thought alfieri might be .. new challenger?

11. Cody's Car Conundrum

Thanks for the correction. Honestly I'm quite surprised given how big some make the engine out to be.

That sounds like a fairly big speed bump. Now I'm really curious what engine they're going to use. Oh what a time to be a Mopar fan!

12. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Let's stir the pot and say it will be a new cuda

suzq044 likes this.
  13. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Let’s not. As a moderator I don’t want to deal with it.

Mike

GasAxe, MoparDanno and oruandy like this.
  14. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

lol, sorry mike ;)

Mike V. likes this.
  15. mopar22

Man you're no fun, I'm gonna go throw a temper tantrum. Anyways sorry! It was a tounge in cheek joke as everyone always thinks that

16. Cody's Car Conundrum

Switching gears (almost entirely from pure Viper talk). The fact that the Viper is going to share the same platform gets me really curious how they're going to make the Viper stand out from the other two cars and vice versa (performance wise).

Side note: I'm using the word "curious" way to much.

I mean, we seem to be getting a new Gran Turismo as well. So where does that leave the Alfieri? Is the Alfieri going to become Maserti's equivalent of the Aston Martin Vantage (leaving the Gran Turismo as the DB9)? If so (hypothetically speaking) then does that put the Alfa in a tight spit (performance wise)? Add to the fact that the next "Viper" isn't going to be the same as the out-going model only adds to my growing list of thoughts and questions regarding how it'll fit in with its new siblings.

(Sorry if all these questions are annoying the insiders to the moon and back. And if this was asked and answered before in another thread).

17. mopar22

Viper could be v8 or maybe even supercharged, Alfa can have their v6/i6 turbo, and Maserati can have their hybrid gas and electric. On top of that Maserati already would have cost more then the other two so only Alfa and dodge would be competing

18. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Remember what Bob Sheaves said about platforms and architecture. The cars will share a "platform". A platform is a set of hard dimensions, nothing more. It, essentially, is the hardpoints that determine what will fit down a given assembly line. When that say "platform" it means that the cars will be designed from the start, to share the same assembly line. That assembly line can be replicated in various factories across the world. So, Viper will share a set of hard pints with those cars.

The metal, carbon, plastic and other materials that make up the car itself is the architecture. It unclear how much architecture that will share. I assume lots of the underneath stuff will be different. Given the theee vehicles it is pretty safe to assume that the individual design and engineering teams responsible for each car will get lots and lots of freedom.

NextViper is almost certain to have NextHemi, and in my opinion, it would also be same to assume it would come in various power levels, trims, and top styles.

19. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

FLEX allowed the vehicles to be designed more specifically to their intended purpose. LX cars had different personalities, shared a lot of parts, but could still allow for a luxury sedan and performance 2 door on the same line.

FCA's ripoff of VAG simply shares architectures.......families of parts. Well, FLEX did that for more than a decade and every automaker shares such things across products. Henry Ford shared architectures among his different models. This is nothing new nor groundbreaking.

FLEX was far more advanced.

FLEX would have allowed them to continue to build a Compact Sedan, a Midsize Sedan and similarly sized CUVs on the same line, changing the production levels of each according to the market needs. It would have been the PERFECT solution for today's market conditions.

But it was not invented here and Marchionne has stars in his eyes for VAG's system.

Cody's Car Conundrum likes this.
  20. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I would suspect that the greater sharing of architectures helps drive down supplier costs, something Sergio is hell bent on doing. My hope is, as time goes on, more flex is built into the manufacturing plants (very high initial capital costs) to make up for the loss of flex designed into the vehicle platforms. Personally, I think you make your product design flexible because of the huge costs of changes at the plant level. Cheapening parts from suppliers exposes more vehicles to the same cheap parts.