Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 Maserati Alfieri, next type Dodge Viper(?) replacement platform?

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Hemidakota, Jul 24, 2017.

1. romalerig

romalerig Well-Known Member

How Car Companies Can Make Vastly Different Cars From the Same Components (at http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a31749/go-lutz-yourself-carchitecture-101/ )

serpens and Cody's Car Conundrum like this.
  2. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

Truth be told I don't remember him saying that (nor do I know where he said this). As I'm probably not old enough to remember when and where he said this (or it was in a book I don't have). And or who he is.

But I understand the point. Same platform, but different personalities and other factors.

I think the Maserti will probably be the safest in terms of not stepping on anyone's toes. While it may be sportier than the Gran Turismo it'll probably still be aimed more at comfort. I guess my biggest question is just how far will the engineers be able to go in making each car "its own." Because as you said, it's unclear how much architecture the three cars will share among themselves at this moment in time.

I think trim is safe to assume as well, and we may even get a convertible. But I don't know how big the power gap will be on some models (because I don't know whether or not they're going to go a more "Corvette" route and have much lower trim levels than the out-going car).

3. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

So, someone can explain how is possible to have these FCA vehicles, if the family of architectures, as some continue to repeat, are so "inflexible"?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or this one
    [​IMG]

4. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

I would look for a car similar to how the Chrysler Firepower Concept was laid out. Similar to the Vipers long hood layout with the front wheels way out front and the rear wheels right behind the driver seat. I am pretty sure it would be V8 powered, probably a high performance SRT variant of the next generation HEMI due out in 2021.

5. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

GM Fiat Small platform - Wikipedia (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Fiat_Small_platform )

You can read about that platform. It's an aging platform, that still Fiat is using at great lengths with its small vehicle offerings. They are flexible... the problem is demand for the products worldwide. Small cars are hard to sell in NAFTA right now, yet crossovers are hot. Europe you probably would be hard pressed to sell a Fiat Toro there as much as you are able to sell the vehicle like it is in South America.

Question is what this have to do with a Viper replacement?

6. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Have to do. Just an answer to infinite "mantra" of Erik Latranyi about the impossible for a new FCA's "family of architectures" to allow enough design variations so to allow differentiation between models for Maserati / Dodge / ... .

Also to add that smaller the production targets for a model, less expensive and "easier" is its industrialization.

ScramFan likes this.
  7. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Please do not LIE about what I said.

I NEVER said it was impossible for FCA's system to allow differentiation. I said that it is antiquated and outdated.

FLEX had all the features of the FCA system AND you could build different vehicles on the same assembly line. That flexibility would have allowed the company to continue to offer sedans and CUVs from the same assembly plant.

This entire nonsense of one vehicle per assembly plant is not smart leadership.

But if you want to discuss design variations, shall we discuss the long front overhang on the Cherokee, the design compromises for the 200 because of its relationship to Dart? Do you want to discuss that the Pacifica could never run on the same line as the Cherokee?

When FCA can build multiple vehicles (like Charger, 300 and Challenger) on the same line, then I will reconsider my position. Until then, this company's engineering is decades behind.

8. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Search, as I already wrote in answer to You in another thread, FCA Pernambuco plant.
    Jeep Renegade, Compass and Fiat Toro are built in their single line.

jorisr, serpens, tlc and 2 others like this.
  9. I know about 20 years back, Chrysler bolted together two Neon 2.0 liter motors to create a straight 8 for one of its concept cars. My pipe dream would be for Chrysler to take 2 pentastars V6 motors and bolt them together for a V12 for the next generation Viper. That would really get attention -- and it would be the first domestic V12 since I believe the 1930's. IMO, that would be pretty amazing.

10. serpens

serpens Active Member

You keep trotting out at this line when automakers are doing just that with these flexible architectures. Mercedes builds a quad of its MRA platform vehicles (C-class sedan, GLC-class CUV, C-class wagon, GLC-class Coupe (coupe CUV)) all right there on the same line.

EDIT: Hell, any of Volkswagen's factories that make a MQB-platform vehicle (CUV, convertible, sedan, whatever) can manufacture any other VW AG vehicle on that same platform as needed. This was done solely to shift vehicles around to different factories as needed with complete ease. I don't know if they can do different models on the same exact line in this particular case, however.

#90 serpens, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  11. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, that is about as likely to happen as my dream Viper engine. A V10, but with a 72 degree bank angle and a flat plane crank and a 12,000+RPM redline.

#91 Muther, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    BrianinMpls likes this.
  12. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Kinda like I said, as manufacturing plants are updated (high capital cost) flexibility will be built into the system. Part of the magic of FLEX was to be able to make multiple vehicle fit a factory, not the factory fit multiple vehicles first. Eventually, modernizing you manufacturing would catch up with FLEX.

13. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

To attempt to veer back on topic, a Viper replacement built off a shared architecture wouldn't need a facility like Conner. But would a Nu-Viper be built in Italy and assembled in Conner to keep the ability to personalize like a Viper..?

14. SRTBrandon

SRTBrandon Active Member

A question I have is how much will FCA save on production since it won't be hand built

15. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Probably a ton. You'd be look at prices like the corvette now instead of being above it

redriderbob likes this.
  16. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

You are talking about the amazing Chrysler Atlantic 4.0L straight 8.

chrysler-atlantic-concept-engine-photo-381664-s-1280x782.jpg

17. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Correct.

Corvette Assembly in Bowling Green (Mass Produced).

Vs

Viper Assembly at Conner (Hand Assembled).

18. serpens

serpens Active Member

Sure...but let's not act like MQB is a new thing. This was the case with MQB since 2012. Bob relentlessly railed against this fact and even when I PM'd him he refused to acknowledge this. No need to beleaguer this point but a lot of the limitations regarding flexible architectures were limited to FCA's implementation rather than the concept as a whole.

19. Harry75

Harry75 Active Member

Cars bring joy.
    This man agrees with you.

Gary Wimble & Ralph Gilles, Viper joy.

bluskye likes this.
  20. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Active Member

Is it even possible to have a flat crank v10 due to the fact you have an odd number of cylinders per cylinder bank?