AF: 2020 MY JL Ordering - Four cylinder only? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 MY JL Ordering - Four cylinder only?

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by cygnus, Nov 11, 2019.

1. cygnus

cygnus Active Member

This was mentioned in a different thread, that 2020 model year Wranglers (JL) will only mostly be sold in four cylinder except for a very specific configuration (Sahara with V6 eTorque option ($$$)) - Goodbye Hemi and the 300c? (at https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/goodbye-hemi-and-the-300c.223437/page-2#post-1085147347 )

Some additional comments were added, but there seems to be some conflicting information out there. Anecdotal evidence suggests the vast majority of JLs are four cylinder. Personally, I think you'd have to be crazy to spend $40K+ any only get a four cylinder.

Using this thread as a space to discuss this further.

This basically solidifies my personal conjecture that the 2021 Grand Cherokee (WL) trims will largely be four cylinder, unless you pay big to get the V6 with eTorque.

Welcome to the new FCA.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  2. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

V6 is available on all trims, as is the 2.0L. The Sahara is the sole trim level that offers eTorque now and it's now available on both the V6 and 4-cylinder. People have said V6 ordering is restricted but it's still part of the lineup according to the 2020 Jeep order guide.

As far as the WL, I expect the 3.6 to be phased out after a year or two in favor of GME T4 and T6 volume engines, once the latter becomes available.

I don't see a reason to panic. Engines come and go all the time. The 3.6 is a good engine but it's getting a bit long in the tooth. If the 2.0 is more powerful and efficient than the V6, there's no real reason not to opt for it as long as the price becomes equivalent to the V6. Unless of course, someone is part of the "no replacement for displacement" crowd, in which case they're going to be really pissed off in about five years unless they come to terms with reality.

#2 Ryan, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  3. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Well I'm a natural born skeptic, so if the engine is supposed to be offered, there's another reason it's restricted. Look toward the engine plants that produce the Pentastar, and your answer may be there.

UN4GTBL and Ryan like this.
  4. cygnus

cygnus Active Member

What exactly does 'restricted' mean? The salesmen who was working with a board poster said he couldn't put in a JL order with a V6. How can it be available if a salesmen can't put in an order? This should be pretty easy to get solid information on - it's either available or it isn't.

It seems we have a pretty clear example from someone saying that it isn't available. Can someone provide a counter example showing they've recently put an order in for a 2020 Wrangler with a V6?

#4 cygnus, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  5. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

They can restrict ordering certain options temporarily if supply becomes an issue. I can show you the 2020 Jeep order guide that clearly lists V6 engines. We also have a 2020 Wrangler Sport V6 in transit. So either there's a supply issue, they're intentionally restricting it (temporarily) to promote the 4-cylinder, or someone is confused.

This is official material from Jeep:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 4.32.08 PM.png

You can also head over to the 2020 Wrangler page on the Jeep website and take a peek for yourself.

HotCarNut likes this.
  6. cygnus

cygnus Active Member

It will be interesting to see how long this restriction is in place then. This is the first time I've heard of such a practice for what was once a widely ordered powertrain.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  7. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I ordered a new 95 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4. It got put on hold and wasn't ordered because 3.92 gears with sure grip was restricted. So I either went with 3.55s or waited. I waited. It was a supplier issue. Nothing new.

8. cygnus

cygnus Active Member

It's not as bad as I thought. In Metro-Detroit, on Autotrader for 2020 MY Wrangler, the split between V6 and four cylinder is 2200 vs. 1900 respectively if you set a 300 mile radius.

9. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Well-Known Member

There is is this little thing called NVH :rolleyes: . If the turbo 4 is as noisy as the Turbo 4 in both the JL and and the Cherokee...... Customers that have owned previous Grand Cherokees with the v6 are definitely going to have problems.

Customer expectations are very real..... FCA continues to miss this point. For years the C in 300C meant HEMI v8........ For 30+years a Chrysler with the name Limited meant luxury, with at least leather possibly chrome wheels until the the Chrysler 200 came out . For ever the Wrangler "luxury " model was the Sahara but now in the Gladiator its the Overland..... Customers dont want to "feel" like they are getting LESS when they replace their car or SUV. This kind of nonsense only makes it more difficult to sell.

UN4GTBL, HotCarNut, aldo90731 and 4 others like this.
  10. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

From MT's long term tester...pretty impressive numbers from the 4-banger.

"Jeeps—or at least Wranglers—are hardly known for lightning performance, but our Wrangler Rubicon nevertheless performed admirably at the test track. Sporting an eTorque 2.0-liter mild hybrid turbocharged I-4 with 270 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque and an eight-speed automatic, it ran from 0 to 60 mph in 7.6 seconds and through the quarter mile in 16.0 seconds at 83.1 mph
    Soon after test day, we had the emissions analytics team hook up their test gear to our Jeep to see how it measures up to its EPA 22/24/22 mpg city/highway/combined rating. It returned from testing with a 21.4/26.0/23.2 Real MPG result, a slight improvement on the official EPA numbers"

tlc, Dave Z and HotCarNut like this.
  11. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Indeed. I test drove both the V6 and 2.0T JL before pulling the trigger: the 2.0T looks good on paper, but it makes some unwanted noises, particularly at takeoff, and it felt a bit "jerky." The V6 on the other hand, was smooth as butter, especially with the 8-speed Torqueflite. And according to Fuelly.com, actual MPG of the 4-cyl is lower; so it doesn't even have that as saving grace.

Overall, I have been impressed with the fit-and-finish on my JL: everything inside looks and feels high-quality and well thought-out. I always swap the bright and shiny 18-inch Sahara wheels for a 17-inch set in a darker color and black out all the bling. However, as I was waxing my Jeep the other day I realized how exquisitely finished the machined JL Sahara wheels are; as are the SAHARA and the Jeep emblems on the side - they look very expensive. The finished detail is so beautifully crafted that I am reconsidering removing them. So at least it appears Jeep continues treating Sahara as the "luxury" version. Having owned several Wranglers before, my familiarity with the Sahara name made my purchase decision a lot easier. With regards to Gladiator, my guess is Jeep felt it had some latitude naming the luxury version something else. At the same time, it is weird both Sport and Rubicon trims were carried over from Wrangler....so who really knows what the thinking was there.

Less impressive is the fact that my Jeep only has 1,200 miles and the backup camera already stopped working completely. I was able to reboot the main computer by removing fuses F11 and F97, and it worked. But now the navigation randomly gets stuck endlessly on "loading", and/or the map view flashes erratically on top of the main landing screen. I doubt that head unit will make it six months.

Going back to the main topic: after driving both, the V6 and the 4-cyl, the V6's smoothness and proven durability made it a no-brainer. It was tough finding a new 2020 with the V6, though; luckily I found a leftover 2018 V6 waiting for me.

JL's assembly-quality looks and feels top notch; the attention-to-detail wows; the V6 and 8-speed perform smoothly
    [​IMG]

Everything you touch and see inside looks rich and feels expensive. The electronics, however, remain suspect.
    [​IMG]

#11 aldo90731, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    UN4GTBL, Zagnut27, plymouth1 and 9 others like this.
  12. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the new ride, Aldo.

Except for your past SRT rides, it's always been easier to identify you as a Wrangler driver and to relate to you as such.

Just the way some people see things, I guess.

But I always value your personal insights about the brand; and thank you for the wisdom which accompanies your input.

As always, best regards.

13. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Consumer Reports or, was it Car & Driver; they groused about the Journey four banger not only being underpowered, apparently said Four delivered worse MPG than the Pentistar V6.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  14. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Not that I approve of the 4 banger in the Jeep but I feel that I must point out the Journey 4 is a NA 2.4 while the Jeep is a 2.0 Turbo 4 engine. Personally I would prefer the 5.7 but the 3.6 would have to do. I just can’t get past Wrangler weighing 4,200 Lb.s with a 2.0 engine.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  15. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

You forget the new star under the hood: 3.0 EcoDiesel.
    - in a jeep wrangler anything below the diesel is less. Lowest fuel consumptoion and most Power in low to midrange, what more could you ask for? ( It out torqs the hemi at any speed below 3000 rpms or so.)

16. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

I won’t trust the diesel until it’s been back on the market for a while. But I agree the numbers look good.

HotCarNut likes this.
  17. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

I keep hearing here that the Pentastar is "long in the tooth". What exactly does that mean ? I've had a JK and now a JL with the 3.6 and it's smooth, quiet, good power, and decent mileage.
    What more could you ask for ? (no 4 cyl for me)

18. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Long in the tooth is living past its life-cycle to the point that the technology leapfrogs it. The pentastar was launched in what? 2009? with PUG in 2016? Seems to me that it should be fine. The 3.3L was launched in 1989? and was retired in what? 2011? That's long in the tooth.

19. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

My Tacoma had the Atkinson-cycle 3.5 V6 with direct injection and a whole bunch of other up-to-date stuff, but I much prefer the 3.6 V6 in my JL.

True, the Toyota V6 was slightly more fuel efficient, but it was also less refined, it emitted these weird vibrations under acceleration, deceleration, or even on cruise control; it sounded just awful, and peak power at higher RPMs meant it felt gutless 80% of the time. A 6-speed automatic programmed to stay on top gear at all cost only made the driving experience worse.

UN4GTBL and HotCarNut like this.
  20. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Why mess with success? The Pentastar is a wonderful engine with a proven track record.

Tin Man 2 likes this.