AF: 2020 MY JL Ordering - Four cylinder only? | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 MY JL Ordering - Four cylinder only?

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by cygnus, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

I agree, it might be better to spend the money on weight reduction, weight loss is a win for all the power train options. Not just the complicated high tech engines.

HotCarNut likes this.
  2. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly some have said it was never designed to be turbocharged so it isn't as versatile an engine. The 'one of these days' new inline 6 is designed for turbocharging, both one or two turbos if talk is correct. Add eTorque to it and it offers many more levels of performance.
    But I will never trust a turbo 4 in something as heavy as the Wrangler. I'll take a larger engine that isn't as stressed for the level of performance it offers, whether that is the Pentastar or the new 6.

3. Matthew

Matthew Is pushing for progress!

I don't think they are going to get read of the V6 unless it is maybe replaced with a just as powerful smooth and quite I6, Jeep has a lot of traditional buyers and the V6 also gives better tow ratings then the 2.0. Both those reasons are why even though they added the 2.0 to the Cherokee line up they keep the V6 (even though they make with in 1hp of each other and the 2.0 makes more torque) but the 3.2 with tow still gets 500 more lbs of tow capacity, so losing the 3.6 in the grand cherokee which can tow 6,200 lbs would lose you 2,200 LBS I could see them adding it with Torque as an option for those that are ok with losing some tow capacity (as there are those that don't need the capacity of the Himi but want more then 4k LBS in a midsize) and wan't a little extra MPG but when equipped with the Active Drive II in the Cherokee which would be closer to the base 4x4 system in the in the GC only gets 1 MPG more Highway and city so 2 MPG combined but to get the best performance you have to use premium (and in real world many people are not getting an increased MPG in the Wrangler even with eTorque and in the Cherokee without eTorque many are not getting an MPG bump over the 3.2V6. And even if you did with the price of premium as you would really have to use it to haul something the size of the GC around, you are not going to save any money on gas over the 3.2V6 im a majority of the country where Premium comes at quite the premium over regular. I wanted the smoothness of the V6 so I stuck with it in my 2019 Trailhawk, but I ddi the math using the EPA site by customizing it for price difference between regular and premium where I live and in no driving mix did i save money mater of fact I paid with 100% highway $500 more with the turbo with 100 city I paid $1,500 more with the turbo and with 55% city I paid $1,000 more a year for the turbo.

4. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

I have the benefit of driving my personal JT with a 3.6L and driving work related JL's with the 2.0L Turbo. The comments regarding the noise is very true. I'm rather surprised at just how loud that little thing is compared to the 3.6L.

3.6L does feel like it pulls away smoother. Mileage has been hit and miss depending on who has been driving. Neither one really doing better than the other.
    I originally wanted the 3.0L but had to pull the trigger earlier than planned. So far I'm extremely pleased with the Pentastar. I have also added the SuperChip Pulsar tuner. The performance setting spanks the 2.0L in response and overall feel off the line. The nice thing is the ability to toggle between Performance, Tow, Stock, and Economy on the fly.

GasAxe, page2171 and cygnus like this.