AF: 2021 Durango prices and changes are out! | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2021 Durango prices and changes are out!

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Updated 2021 Durango prices—including one-year-only Hellcat

Hellcat is priced as you'd expect... but good news: all Durangos will get LED projector headlights (and lots of other goodies).

I'm guessing they plan to keep the Durango going “as is” (well, as modified for 2021) for a few more years. It's better differentiated from Grand Cherokee now, since that's going to Giorgio.

UN4GTBL, wilbur, cygnus and 2 others like this.
  2. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

Wow, that is a pretty health price jump. 3k to 6k jump per model. I hope there is additional equipment for that money.

3. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

Three seven passenger offerings - Wagoneer, WL75, and Durango. Interesting.

When is Job 1 for 2021 Durango?

4. Ryan

October 5.

UN4GTBL and cygnus like this.
  5. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

I have this feeling that the next Durango will not be DT based, despite earlier reports. This Durango refresh will take it into the end of calendar 2022, exactly when the Brampton upgrades are speculated to happen.

Think about it - if W74 is bigger, wouldn’t it make sense to put the next Cherokee at JNAP (it will be slightly bigger than current Cherokee) and have it based on Giorgio Global, let Durango go to Brampton with the next L cars (so Brampton can go full utilization), and let Belvidere build more DTs or HD trucks? ($$$)

The Stelvio redesign will fill in the D segment spot that Cherokee once occupied.

I’m glad they did the refresh for Durango, but I feel there is something afoot here with respect to the timeline beyond 2022 vs what we know today.

I know it’s going to piss off 95% of this forum, but FCA is going upmarket in a big way with the product planning and prices.

#5 cygnus, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    UN4GTBL and ScramFan like this.
  6. Ryan

The midsize Dodge SUV was rumored to be built at Brampton alongside the L cars.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  7. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Cherokee is getting bigger? I doubt it. At lest on the outside. Interior room may be bigger or will be if they opt for FWD architecture.

Giorgio Cherokee? It would be roughly Stelvio size but with more square design.

8. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

FWD on Cherokee is a product planning mistake. How many lost sales to Toyota do we to go through to have this point made?

Yes to Giorgio Cherokee. Build it at JNAP if/when Durango goes DT based. Hopefully they can support volume for DT based Durango at Warren? What's the intended output for Warren with DS + WS + Durango?

The only flaw with this is that you're cannibalizing WL74/75 sales...you can segment it with engines though, next generation Cherokee can be 1.3L turbo, but it will be very nice with hybrid/4xE.

For WL74/75, I wonder if will start with 2.0L...I will be pissed if they don't offer a Pentastar. And I also worry about the performance with the Pentastar on that vehicle if it gains length/weight, because Pentastar doesn't have a 4xE option.

If Belvidere is only two shifts, it needs to be making higher margin product. We need DT overflow at Belvidere.

#8 cygnus, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    UN4GTBL and ScramFan like this.
  9. James A

James A Active Member

With the rate that this company handles products, I think 2030 is more likely how long this Durango design is going to last. Do you think a newly redesigned interior and front end is only to last 2 years? I can't believe that anymore - except that maybe because its an SUV it will be invested in at the expense of the twins. On that note, I don't think there will be "next-gen" large cars anymore. I know they were working on them for Dodge but I think plans changed as usual. They'll go unchanged (maybe new nose for the charger? And that will be the extent of the "next gen" - Probably not even that much) until they're gone or replaced with smaller hybrid/I3/I4 PSA people movers. Perhaps I'llget heat for this but I'm fed up.

10. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

I could see that happening. Bump the price up a bit, get better seating, refresh the interior dashboard. Same playbook as Durango.

James A and UN4GTBL like this.
  11. ScramFan

ScramFan Well-Known Member

I always thought this approach made the most sense, not that I actually know anything about this stuff.

Charger, Challenger, and the "Charger SUV" (aka Durango) are all RWD based, and ride on full size dimensions. Check out how close the Charger and Durango wheelbases are. They also all share engines and transmission choices, except for hyrbid, which should be included in the next gen anyway.

Hopefully there'd be room for the next gen of these vehicles to include a convertible version of the Challenger, which I imagine would put that plant at full production capacity. Don't know if they can do 4 products there though.

Doing this would allow FCA to have all 3 of Dodge's full size lineup in one plant, which means sharing a lot more components, and allow them to more closely align interior design and trim across the lineup.

And if they don't need another BOF plant, maybe Belvidere could house a new G based RWD Cherokee + mid sized Dodge SUV.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Toyota's equivalent is front wheel drive.

That said, yes, I can see Durango being redesigned on the Charger platform, and debuting around 2023-2024. That would make the current updates pay off.

I really don't think Grand Cherokee, even with two wheelbases, will fully occupy Mack and Jefferson.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  13. Ryan

WL will have the 2.0 turbo with eTorque, 3.6L V6 with eTorque, and 5.7L Hemi with eTorque, plus the 4xe plug-in hybrid version and inline-6 models coming at a later date.

The rumor is that the 4xe will use the 3.6L, but I'm more inclined to believe it'll use the 2.0.

14. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

Jeep just posted Wagoneer + 4xe teaser just now...Looks like 3.6L is getting 4xe.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  15. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Cherokee as is could be forgotten. They'd be better off calling the 2 seat just a regular Cherokee and the 3 Grand Cherokee. But that leaves Belvedere with no product. I can't see them completely gutting it to make DT a reality there. Not in this economic climate anyways. I don't believe however Durango will be bof. If anything Ram itself will get a version of this new bof SUV and called something else.