AF: 2021 Ram HD | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2021 Ram HD

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by CNT900, May 25, 2020.

1. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Until something substantial is announced for Saltillo assembly, Ram HDs aren't going anywhere.

3. CNT900

CNT900 Well-Known Member

4. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

5. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

6. kevin m. Henry

kevin m. Henry Active Member

It would seem that given the escalating torque outputs of the diesel engines in hd pickup trucks that some additional strengthening would be required. With Ford's power stroke already over 1000 lb-ft I would think that Cummins and Ram would be looking for even higher outputs.

ScramFan likes this.
  7. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

The Ram Cummins 6.7 HO is rated at 400HP and 1,000 lb.-ft. Torque. It has a higher torque rating than either the Powerstroke or Duramax. When a dually is paired with the AISIN six-speed automatic transmission, the Cummins-powered Ram 3500 towing capacity in excess of 31,000 lbs.

Here is an interesting article on CUMMINS VS POWERSTROKE VS DURAMAX.
    Cummins vs Powerstroke vs Duramax | CJ Off-Road (at https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/cummins-vs-powerstroke-vs-duramax )

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  8. kevin m. Henry

2020 Ford power stroke is rated at 1050 lb-ft torque and 475 hp. Even though numbers on paper don't tell the whole story, they are seemingly important bragging points.

9. ScramFan

ScramFan Well-Known Member

I don't think any of these published numbers are for the versions of the motors that the fleet trucks use, and to my understanding, fleets are what drive sales of the HD trucks.

10. kevin m. Henry

probably not but the point is that a transmission that will handle those ratings will be required at least for the higher output versions.

11. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

I’d bet that, like hemi hp ratings, the torque ratings on this transmission is bell on the conservative side.

12. haywaj

haywaj Well-Known Member

I heard the same. The Allison is the 9 speed, the ZF is the Powerline 8 speed. Also, saw this interesting patent for a compression Cummins.JPG engine brake from Cummins. Looks like it could be applied to the B6.7 pretty easily.

13. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

While I'd love for them to switch to the newer cab design, it still doesn't address the elephant in the room. No standard cab. Since fleets and chassis cabs sales really depend on standard cabs, and since they just updated the current HD cabs will they spend anything on these at the moment while three plants in Detroit are being rebuilt or new from the ground up? At least not before 22 or 23. Maybe the trans will show, outside vendor, relatively easy to adapt without a huge expenditure. They definitely need it and a power upgrade for the Hemi would be nice as well.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  14. haywaj

haywaj Well-Known Member

Any recent whispers on this?

15. MQQSE

MQQSE Member

Being in fleet operations for over 40 years I would like to add the following:
    Regular cabs no longer make up the majority of fleet sales. As a matter of fact, they have drastically declined because operators in all business sectors have asked for more room. Extra cabs provide more room but really don’t change any other aspect in terms of additional maintenance, etc. so you will be seeing more and more manufacturers cutting out the single cab platform. Also, someone had mentioned that fleet vehicles don’t get the same engine power ratings as the higher level trims; that is simply not the case. I have been in several plants, to include Cummins and Allison (Ford, GM, Toyota and FCA) engines and transmissions are built and tuned exactly the same. All rating are the same whether you are in a fleet vehicle or a higher trim level. Just thought I would throw that info together since It’s something I have been very close to in the past years.

freshforged and ScramFan like this.
  16. purplepassengerpete

purplepassengerpete Active Member

Do you think that regular cabs still have the capacity to exist for 4500 and 5500 chassis models? From what I've seen now, the biggest desire for regular cab trucks is snow plowing.

17. habu987

habu987 Member

I wonder if the gap at Warren is going to be filled--looks like there's going to be a substantial gap between Warren reopening in October and the Wagoneer twins starting production in 2Q21. I'd love it if that meant the HDs were slotting in there, but I'm definitely not holding my breath.
    Electric pickups a possibility, FCA CEO says, as it updates product plans (at https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/chrysler/2020/07/31/electric-pickup-trucks-possible-face-market-share-loss-fiat-chrysler-ceo-mike-manley-says/5553475002/ )

ScramFan likes this.
  18. ScramFan

ScramFan Well-Known Member

I am guessing that they will likely contract with, and build the Nikola Badger there as well.

Just a guess on my part, but other posters on this site have speculated to that effect as well.

19. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

How big is the Nikola Badger? Could it be viable as a Dakota? It could be a game-changer in the midsize truck market.